backward compatibility breaking

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
grrrz

backward compatibility breaking

Post by grrrz » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:40 pm

So am I to understand each minor (x.x like 11.2) version of live will break backward compatibility? I won't be able to load a 11.2 project with live 11.1? and so on? very annoying. I spent a day updating an old mac pro to run live 11.1 (with the dosdude patch); now each time I want to update on my personal computer I have to update the mac pro as well? The mac pro which is never plugged into the internet and for which it's more than a minor inconvenience to do so? or do I keep an 11.1 legacy version just to work on those project as well as three other people? I thought it broke compatibility for major versions and 11.1 was an exception but apparently I'll keep having this problem forever. why do they need to change the save format each time they do an update?

Tarekith

Re: backward compatibility breaking

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:13 am

This has happened many times with point releases of Live over the years, I think it's safe to assume it will continue to be the trend and plan accordingly.

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:10 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:13 am
This has happened many times with point releases of Live over the years, I think it's safe to assume it will continue to be the trend and plan accordingly.
I supposed it's more "forward compatibility" I should have mention but yep I didn't really expected it to be for every single .x version (I was very conservative about updating before anyway). This is costing us needless time and effort (and the people who employ me money), and I'd like to see an good explanation for this. I understand there can be a format change sometimes but why does it have to be every two months? At some point I had to bring old macs around with old versions of live because it was not possible to install an older version on the current OS.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:29 pm

This doesn't happen with every minor version update, but in the case of L11.2b there's things like updated devices (e.g Reverb, but also Delay, Redux and many more that now have a hi-quality option), and under-the-hood significant improvements.
Interestingly, when reading you I analyze your problem very differently (I might be wrong, though): it looks like your real problem isn't Live updates per se, but the fact that you're using an unsupported OS on your machine that needs significant amount of workarounds to run (and update).
Just to be sure:
grrrz wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:40 pm
now each time I want to update on my personal computer I have to update the mac pro as well?
why?
Ableton Forum Moderator

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:03 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:29 pm
This doesn't happen with every minor version update, but in the case of L11.2b there's things like updated devices (e.g Reverb, but also Delay, Redux and many more that now have a hi-quality option), and under-the-hood significant improvements.
Interestingly, when reading you I analyze your problem very differently (I might be wrong, though): it looks like your real problem isn't Live updates per se, but the fact that you're using an unsupported OS on your machine that needs significant amount of workarounds to run (and update).
Just to be sure:
grrrz wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:40 pm
now each time I want to update on my personal computer I have to update the mac pro as well?
why?
thanks for the clarification; that's helpful;
no the problem is the machine I'm using for the exhibition is not accessible and not connected to the internet; and also I'm really reluctant to update the software I run just before an exhibition with thousands of people where it has to run flawlessly for hours (I could install it from a usb key), not to mention we're on a tight schedule. The solution we're gonna use is just have a copy of the version installed on the mac pro on our computer alongside the newer one. the fact it's an old machine is a different problem; but I managed to get the lastest version of live on it so that's an apple problem more than a live problem. (also I realize that's good I glanced at the release note otherwise I wouldn't have known and would have discovered it at the last minute)