when is Live 12 coming?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
chris harbin

Re: when is Live 12 coming?

Post by chris harbin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:55 pm

heinrich.scharp@gmx.de wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:06 pm
Another question: When will 11.3 will be officially released?

Thabnks in advance!
First rule of fight club, do NOT talk about fight club :lol:
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:56 pm

If and when the time actually comes, I'd like more little workflow stuff addressed, kinda like Studio One 6.
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon May 29, 2023 7:54 pm

blaugruen7 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:12 pm
Hello forum,
i wouldnt expect that anybody official would answer this question.
the thing is i want to upgrade from Live Standard to Live Suite in mid of July and would be dissappointed when short afterswards Live 12
would show up.
any thoughts about this?
I'm guessing since Push 3 is out, 12 will be within a year from now.

It will probably be a big update. My predictions:

1. Operator modernization to be more like Wavetable with expanded GUI, maybe more Operators, Operator functions, or more routability, MPE definitely. (My guess is why Operator didn't get updated for 11.3 is that it is being revamped).

2. ARA (or alternatively a pitch editor)

3. Browser refinements

4. Piano Roll refinements. Chords, more note tools and/or functions.

5. Sampler refinements (Auto Sampler?)

I'm guessing no new synths but maybe refinements to existing like Drift, but definitely as always new effects.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:03 pm

Gimme some workflow stuff. I LOVE Live, but there are some things that need to be addressed.

Number one on my list? It's simple, do SOMETHING about the GUI heck with VST's. There is a close all but I'll like something more in the middle of "all open" or just for the one track. Studio One has the F11 key assigned to open an existing tracks plug, and those plugs are organized when you can chose which GUI you want open and with macros (yes please! ) you can keyswitch between them.

Also, could we PLEASE have things more global? Yeah, per project you can assign keymapping to so many things, but it should be global so you don't have to keep doing it. Of the two, I'd rather have it global.

NO NEW SYNTHS! We have what we need ;) That would be like Reason in my book.

Can you say workflow? I knew you could :lol:

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:05 pm

chris harbin wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:03 pm

NO NEW SYNTHS! We have what we need ;) That would be like Reason in my book.
Im afraid that with standalone devices like Push 3, synths and Samplers will be part of Live's niche even more, as I'm thinking alot of Standalone Push 3 users are going to eventually want more synths and stuff.

That said Ableton in the past don't really focus too heavy on synths like Reason or Logic and always seem to choose a more middle ground. You are more likely to see updates to existing synths than all out new ones.

Just about every Ableton major updates always include a huge amount of workflow improvements with new effects and synths (or updates to existing ones). And usually the new synths/devices are usually reserved for Suite users and the Standard version is usually workflow improvements which would save you some money. But it would be very "UnAbleton-like" to have a major update with no workflow improvements like Reason which have lately only seem to focus on synths or plugin modes. Ableton updates usually have a bit of predictability to them as well (which is usually a good thing) as most veteran users have a list of features they would like added and each major update in the last 10 years or so usually address some of the elephant in the room lack of functionalities of Ableton and usually when they don't, they usually will do a minor release that also can address some of those workflow improvements as well. I will say in the past 10 years with Ableton's updates I have been pretty satisfied as they have addressed a bunch of workflow limitations (PDC, Comping, MPE, VST3, sidechaining, multiple midi clip edit modes, etc). IMO they can be a bit slow but never really negligent and often even include a few workflow improvements you weren't even thinking of.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:44 pm

Don't misunderstand me, Live is my NEO/RIKER right now, but there are some things that could and maybe even should be addressed.

As mentioned, the return tracks need some love. We could use more "color/favorite" additions. I don't like (and I know I'm not alone on this) the arrangement mixer. Also I think some of the stuff that you have to put in the "options.txt" should just be built in.

Global key commands seems to be a no-brainer (why would you want to do that per project????? ) and macros/more key commands would be welcome (especially GUI/vst windows, tired of mousing around with that)

Can live without? Hell yeah, but I'd personally like them to light that candle on those types of things.

krrzzss

Post by krrzzss » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:12 am

@Chris: If by global key commands you mean key mappings (with the key button on the top right):
After setting up your mappings you have to save your live set as default set (go to file>save live set as default set) and global key commands will just load up every time you open Live.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:06 pm

krrzzss wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:12 am
@Chris: If by global key commands you mean key mappings (with the key button on the top right):
After setting up your mappings you have to save your live set as default set (go to file>save live set as default set) and global key commands will just load up every time you open Live.
This only works when saved with a set. If you load a set that didn’t have these, they won’t globally load

Jaaba

Post by Jaaba » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:41 am

Hi, I’m running version 9 Suite and hesitating to update to version 11 if 12 might be coming soon (like in six months from now).

A question: what’s been Ableton’s policy regarding if someone updates just before a new version is released? Do they give a bigger offer than the normal 20% off seen during sales?

If not then I’ll probably wait. The 9 is just fine, although missing a lot of useful features. I just don’t want to be paying another €200 in short intervals.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:24 am

Jaaba wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:41 am
Hi, I’m running version 9 Suite and hesitating to update to version 11 if 12 might be coming soon (like in six months from now).

A question: what’s been Ableton’s policy regarding if someone updates just before a new version is released? Do they give a bigger offer than the normal 20% off seen during sales?

If not then I’ll probably wait. The 9 is just fine, although missing a lot of useful features. I just don’t want to be paying another €200 in short intervals.
Usually, as soon as a new version is announced, if you buy the current version you're getting the upcoming one for free.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Jaaba

Post by Jaaba » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:29 am

[jur] wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:24 am
Jaaba wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:41 am

Usually, as soon as a new version is announced, if you buy the current version you're getting the upcoming one for free.
Ok, thanks. I think I’ll just go with the 9 until the 12 is announced.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:43 pm

NIELS ON wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:12 pm
Tarekith wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:01 am
And will it be Apple Silicon native at last?
What do you mean? It is already native on Apple Silicon since Live 11.1

edit: ..or was this a joke about NI's sluggish development?
Kinda off the mark since all NI plugins are Apple Silicon as of now, but yes they took a while.
Resizable GUIs though that one is still an issue with them. :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:38 pm

Well my comment was from almost a year ago.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com