Possible Track Arming Regression in 11.1.6 or just me?

Discuss Push with other users.
kull

Possible Track Arming Regression in 11.1.6 or just me?

Post by kull » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:53 pm

I was exploring a new plugin last night so had a midi track set to all ins w/ my Minilab and Push 2 connected. So I was playing keys on mini lab and decided to try the push for a minute, track was armed, entered note mode, play for a little, begin playing on the minilab again w/ my left hand and change selected tracks on the push and it disarmed the track so my left hand playing was halted. I thought perhaps I forgot to arm the track and it was armed only due to enabling note mode on the push at first, but I could easily recreate by arming it, entering note mode, leaving note mode (or use arrow button to select another track) and it would disarm. IMO, this has been state dependent before and this is an unwelcome change (it should only disarm if it wasn't armed before entering note mode). Just me? Is this how it always behaved and I'm just forgetting? I don't remember it acting like this.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Possible Track Arming Regression in 11.1.6 or just me?

Post by [jur] » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:43 pm

Nothing has changed in L11.1.6
Ableton Forum Moderator

kull

Post by kull » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:16 pm

Ok, I couldn't recreate in 11.1.6, but just did in 11.2b7. Can I at least get confirmation that it isn't supposed to behave this way? It's simple to recreate...

1. Open Live 11 Beta 11.2b7
2. Drop a plugin on track 1 (I'm using GForce SEM)
3. Select the track and arm it with Push 2 (hold the select button until it's armed)
4. Select track 2
5. Track 1 is now disarmed - why? Seems like a bug.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:37 pm

Turn off exclusive arming in Live’s preferences.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

kull

Post by kull » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:18 am

Thanks!

Spillover

Post by Spillover » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:13 am

Tarekith wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:37 pm
Turn off exclusive arming in Live’s preferences.
Come on guys. For a year now I've been trying every day to disable exclusive arming, hoping some hidden wizard will make it work with Push while it's in Note-mode. :D
All kidding aside, No, Push 2 simply does not respect Ableton's preference called "exclusive arming." All controllers and midi-keyboard controllers respect "exclusive arming" when it's turned on and when it is off. Push, on the other hand, ignores it altogether, disarms all other tracks, and does so when it's in Note-mode, which is exactly when and where there's an extreme need for it to respect exactly what you set in Ableton's preferences. Conversely, instead it respects the preference settings you have chosen (exclusive arming on and off) when it's in Session mode, which, however, cannot help you when you have to play musical notes and chords. :? :( :cry:
This is really embarrassing and outrageous. I basically don't use Ableton anymore because of this dictatorial behavior of Push. There is no way that I can't decide to play my keyboard with my left hand while with my right hand I play a nice drum-rack on Push, and while I'm playing live, (that's why Ableton was called Live, right?) I choose to bounce between 2/3/ different tracks on my left hand and 2/3/4 different tracks on my right hand set with Input on Push.
Guys--this is the basis for a musician's performance. I can only and only do it if I don't use Push. This is a paradox not acceptable, and there is no workaround that can decently get around the problem.
Switching to Session-mode to select a track with the Push without it disarming any other track in the Ableton clip-session kills and erases the essence of the live performance itself. So I would like to ask the administrators to make this problem known (which I find really strange that it has not been addressed yet) and to make Push behave in a respectful way towards the preferences set in Ableton, as all controllers do and should do; especially in a priority way especially when it's in Notes mode.
I ask for forgiveness in advance in case I made a mistake and didn't notice any additional setting in the preferences that really allows to use the Push in Note-mode without disabling all other tracks during a dynamic Live-set.
Thank you

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:33 am

Spillover wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:13 am
allows to use the Push in Note-mode without disabling all other tracks during a dynamic Live-set.
You need to set your other midi tracks' midi input to the midi controller/keyboard you want them to receive midi from, i.e don't set their input to "all Ins".
Arm these tracks.
Now, Push won't disarm those tracks.
(note: this is with Exclusive Arm set to off, which I think this is what you're using, right?)
Ableton Forum Moderator

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:54 pm

Is it possible this might help? Forgive me if I'm way off base.

posting.php?mode=reply&t=245602
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

Spillover

Post by Spillover » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:03 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:33 am
Spillover wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:13 am
allows to use the Push in Note-mode without disabling all other tracks during a dynamic Live-set.
You need to set your other midi tracks' midi input to the midi controller/keyboard you want them to receive midi from, i.e don't set their input to "all Ins".
Arm these tracks.
Now, Push won't disarm those tracks.
(note: this is with Exclusive Arm set to off, which I think this is what you're using, right?)
Thanx [jur]. Yes what you suggest really solves the issue of being able to play a midi track driven by any controller or midi-keyboard at the same time as another track driven by Push, in that by diversifying the input, you are in fact delegating the relationship behavior with "Arm Exclusive" directly to the controller selected in the input. I had already checked the setting you indicated, which actually makes sense, in that if you want to play contamporaneously through two different controllers, you have to obligatorily assign two different inputs.
But the problem extended to the fact that Push disarms the armed track on which it is playing, as soon as you select a return track or the Master track. But I was finally able to verify that this is true as long as the track remains armed in selection mode (pink color), whereas, holding down on Push the track selection button for 1 sec enters manual-arm (red color). And this is precisely the mode by which, even if you switch to return or master track, the midi track you were playing on is no longer disarmed. TOP!!!
Thanx to you, if I had not gone back to check and experiment more, I would have been stuck for a long time yet.
An addition in the manual specifying the difference in behavior in relation to disarming the traces according to the pink/red arm mode could solve many headaches for several users.
However I can finally get through Push some real satisfaction during a live-set.
Thanks again I am immensely grateful to you

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:54 pm

Spillover wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:03 pm
An addition in the manual specifying the difference in behavior in relation to disarming the traces according to the pink/red arm mode could solve many headaches for several users.
I'll make sure to pass this on ;-)
Ableton Forum Moderator