Locking midi mappings

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
ArtificialStupidity

Locking midi mappings

Post by ArtificialStupidity » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:34 am

Hello guys,
Does anyone know if it is possible to lock a midi controller to a specific device? I want the mapping to be made as soon as I load the device on a track and I want to be able to switch between different instances of this device sithout affecting the other instances.
If it is something I can just solve in the midi script, maybe you can give me some hints or links how to cope with it.
(In the end I want to build hardware surfaces for some softsynths and ableton devices).
Thank you in advance.

AS

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Locking midi mappings

Post by [jur] » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:58 am

Right-click a device's title bar, and select "lock to Control Surface X". This is if you're using a midi controller that has a built-in control surface script.
If you're midi mapping, then things are locked by nature.
Ableton Forum Moderator

ArtificialStupidity

Post by ArtificialStupidity » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:41 am

Thx for your answer but I think this won't do it. I would have to do this in every new project and on every device over and over.
I want to lock it as a preference. No matter which project I load it should have the controller automatically mapped. Just as if it was a piece of hardware.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:09 pm

This only works if your controller is supported by a control surface, you need to elect the script and set the inputs and outputs in the MIDI Preference section of Live's preferences.

What controller are you using??

You say you want to build hardware surfaces so here are your choices:
1, Learn Python and write your own scripts
2, Use Remotely to take the hardworking away for writing your own scripts
3, Utilise the User Control Surface Scripts option for basic functionality (search here or google)
4, Use ClyphX Pro and it's bindings add-on to write the mappings into a text file

Cheers
D