how to remove "dead spots" from podcast

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
trpallen

how to remove "dead spots" from podcast

Post by trpallen » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:42 pm

Hey, raw rookie here, trying to solve what is probably a very easy problem. I searched the forum and the manual but no luck, and the answer is likely very straightforward. Here it is: Let's say at time 4:00 there a silent segment, a "dead spot" from 4:00 to 4:15. How can I remove the 15 second segment and stich the file? Thanks in advance, Tom

Tarekith

Re: how to remove "dead spots" from podcast

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:19 pm

Select the clip, put the playhead at the start of the quiet area and hit CMD+E, do the same at the end of the quiet area. Then drag the new second clip until it's touching the end of the first one. You might need to apply a crossfade, but you can find details on that in the manual.

trpallen

Post by trpallen » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:51 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. But I should have mentioned that I'm using w10 and chrome. Don't know what the win equivalent of cmd e is, so could you clue me in please? Tom

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:18 pm

CTRL+E.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:41 pm

Quicker technique:
- select your silent bit/the part you want to remove
- press cmd/ctrl+shit+delete keys. Done!
Note that this shortcut does "cut time" so if you have other tracks with content in your Arrangement, this will move things - but for editing a single track it's perfect.
And if you have the auto-fade option turned on in the record/warp/launch preferences then it's even faster.
Ableton Forum Moderator