CV Tools: CV Instrument calibration failure between Klavis Twin Waves and ES-9, Eurorack, modular synthesis

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
apartyupinhere

CV Tools: CV Instrument calibration failure between Klavis Twin Waves and ES-9, Eurorack, modular synthesis

Post by apartyupinhere » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:32 pm

I'm having trouble calibrating CV Instrument in Ableton with my modular synthesis Eurorack oscillator module. I have a Klavis Twin Waves MK2 oscillator module that needs to talk to Ableton via my Expert Sleepers ES-9 module. In checking the routing, I tested an audio channel in Ableton by sending output , external out, across output 6 of the ES-9, and it did cause output 2 on my expert sleepers to light up as expected (output 6 in software routing).

Here's a video where I show the issue I'm experiencing:
https://youtu.be/t5xLgZ6infc

Does anyone know how to fix the issue that I show in the video where the calibration fails?

The Klavis twin waves oscillator appears to be rated for - 5 volts to 5 volts so I believe it should be compatible.

apartyupinhere

Re: CV Tools: CV Instrument calibration failure between Klavis Twin Waves and ES-9, Eurorack, modular synthesis

Post by apartyupinhere » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:09 am

I received this response from Klavis:
"One possibly useful piece of information is that the Twin Waves V/Oct input range goes from -4 to +6V. (other ins/outs are +/-5V)
Obviously it won't work when driven below -4V."
Does anyone know if this is compatible or how to resolve the issue?

chapelier fou

Re: CV Tools: CV Instrument calibration failure between Klavis Twin Waves and ES-9, Eurorack, modular synthesis

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:40 am

It's a bit hard to tell, but what I would do at first (if possible) is to not use an aggregated device, at least for calibrating. That would greatly reduce the chance of user error (routings....).
In Live you can select two different interfaces for audio in and audio out. That would be easier to troubleshoot.
Does it help ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:02 pm

apartyupinhere wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:09 am
"One possibly useful piece of information is that the Twin Waves V/Oct input range goes from -4 to +6V. (other ins/outs are +/-5V)
Obviously it won't work when driven below -4V."
Does anyone know if this is compatible or how to resolve the issue?
I'm not a modular expert at all, but since CV Tools are calibrated for -/+5V, it sounds like you've found your problem.
Just in case, here's a KB article about CV Tools.
Ableton Forum Moderator

apartyupinhere

Post by apartyupinhere » Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:35 pm

I have resolved with Ashley's help (Ableton Support).
Resolution:
I had an effects rack (master rack) on the Master Channel that was not allowing the tuning to work. I noticed this when the default Live template allowed CV Instrument to tune properly. I then singled out the rack as different from the default template and noticed that when it was deleted, tuning/cal works.

Using 32 buffer size with 44100 sample rate and the incorrect driver compensation (zeroed out) still tunes ok as long as that master rack is deleted off the master channel. Even with all the effects powered off, it's won't calibrate. Fortunately, the Master Rack isn't needed for live performance. It's only used after mixing is completed for final mastering. This has no impact on what I want to do.

I had to make sure the ES-9 Configuration Tool was "Reset to Defaults" because outputs 1 and 2 were defaulting to sending out audio/cv (not desired for calibration). I only wanted output on channel 1 which works when "Reset to Defaults" is clicked.

For correcting the issue, I did not use an Aggregate Device, however, it should work with one no issues. These routings are for just the ES-9:
I had to set the CV Instrument input to Ext. In Channel 1.
I had to set the output to Ext. Out Channel 9.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:48 pm

Thanks for the information, and glad you sorted it out !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1