USB hub for MacBook Air M1

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Bas Roos

USB hub for MacBook Air M1

Post by Bas Roos » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:09 pm

Hi all,

Got a new MacBook Air (M1) which only has two USB C ports. I want to connect my external audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) and an external hard drive (on which I keep my samples) to the MacBook. The audio interface should be connected directly to the MacBook, which means there’s one USB port left.

That means I’ll have to use a USB c hub, as I also need to be able to charge my laptop AND connect my external hard drive. Anyone here having any experience with this situation? I just would like to know if 1) I can connect the MacBook charger cable to the hub, which I then connect to the laptop and 2) the external hard drive works fine via a USB hub (in terms of speed etc., I have a WD elements). Furthermore, does anyone have any recommendations for a good USB hub that ‘meets my needs’?

Thank you!

Best,
Bas

Tarekith

Re: USB hub for MacBook Air M1

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:12 pm

They are pricey, but I've had great luck with my CalDigit TS3+ hub. Everything in my studio connects to it, including multiple HDs and audio interfaces. Then I just have a single cable connecting it to the laptop, which also powers the laptop.

brianwdowling

Post by brianwdowling » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:32 pm

I use Plugable, advantage with M1 is that the hub supports multiple monitors using DisplayLink software. Not the case with a lot of other docs, since my M1 natively supports only 1 external monitor.

https://plugable.com/products/ud-ultc4k#oos-signup

There can be occasional slight screen flickering, but generally not noticeable and there are periodic updates to DisplayLink software.

If multiple monitors are not an issued, then CalDigit docs as mentioned in this post also very good, especially their newest offering.

Brian

Bas Roos

Post by Bas Roos » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:24 pm

Some great suggestions, thank you for the advice!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:48 pm

I'll also second the pluggable brand of hubs, I used those for many years before getting my CalDigit and never had any issues.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:50 pm

I have the same set-up and the Focusrite works fine connected through a standard £15 Ugreen USB-C hub (along with a Lacie hard-drive, Stream deck etc., even daisy chaining another USB-A hub), leaving one port free for the power cable.

I also have this hub from Anker: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-MacBook- ... 107&sr=1-5 Again it all works fine, enables charging of the MacBook, but can get quite hot.