Recommended MacBook Specs? Details in post

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
MattGreer

Recommended MacBook Specs? Details in post

Post by MattGreer » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:31 pm

tl;dr What would y'all recommend as the specs for a used MacBook (Pro or Air) to play back 8 wav-file tracks (4 stereo, 4 mono) with no effects running?

I'm looking to run backing tracks and control Ableton via MIDI from my iPad. Just using the iPad to start/stop/restart/jump to a marker. The production would be performed on a desktop PC in my project studio and I'd print each individual track to a WAV, so all Ableton would need to do is play the tracks back. I like to be able to still run automation on the individual track faders, and perhaps mute certain instruments, etc., so I'm keeping all the tracks separate as they were during production.

What would you all recommend with regards to OS/hardware in a MacBook to be able to do this? I won't need a lot of hard drive space as I'd just load up what I was playing that week.

I'm just very unfamiliar with the MacBook line having never owned one, so I don't know what would suck vs what would be overpowered.

Thank you for your help!
Onwards,

Matt

Tarekith

Re: Recommended MacBook Specs? Details in post

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:06 pm

Pretty much ANY MacBook would be able to do that easily. I’d at least try and get M1 or newer to future proof it a bit though.