Subfolder in Collection

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Subfolder in Collection (What do you think?)

Would help me organise myself
67%
Make sense & I have an additional input
17%
No need to improve the organisation of plugins,...
17%

Total votes: 6

Heartleader

Subfolder in Collection

Post by Heartleader » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:46 pm

I was in touch with Ableton 1st level support and they suggestion was that I should also post it here and I will do so now:

I like very much the idea of the collection and that is the reason I ask if there is some plans to develop it further.
Collection was a fantastic starting point and here are a couple of suggestion but after 2 years now further development here!

My fast & easy suggestion: Make it possible to generate Folder (=SubCollection) in the existing 7 Collection folder (like we can add a SubFolder in an Folder already today)
Impact:
+No changes for users who are happy with the 7 Collections and don't want to organise deeper within a Collection
+Color coding still working for the Collection because SubCollection has use the same Collection colour code
+Shortcut & colour coding still works and no change for actual user and still works that way (press 1 = collection + and user can move it in the collection to an Folder they created or just still use the level of collection)
+No limitation to SubCollection in terms of how many SubCollection the user add
+Sort by Name of SubCollection make it ease to organise by naming (development already in place with folders)
+Collabs logic like in the folder make it behave exactly the same and make it is easy & consistent to use
+The User is very flexible to organise everything in the way they want (unlimited SubFolder possible - but up to them if they want to add folder or not)
+Easy to colas with 1 click a SubCollection and the e minor list compared to have a big list on Collection level (in know search function can help but it is not the same see a total list and knowing by name)

If I check the suggestion user list looks like more user want to improve the way or organise plugins,...:
I checked the suggestion list and found "improvement of organising Ableton" on place 10 (186 votes) & 12 (175 votes) and if I sum it up it would be place 2 (361):
01. Bounce In Place - 424 votes (3 years - open)
02. Freeze Groups - 323 votes (3 years - open)
02. ARA integration for using Melodyne in new comping feature (3 years - open)
04. Hide and Disable Unused Track (3 years - open)
05. Shortcut for Clip gain (2 years - open)
06. Strongly Dislike Browser Organization (2 years - was a new introduced function and just put the old option in place again)
07. Ableton 11 Piano Roll GUI has too much wasted space (2 years - changed)
08. Morphing through Macro Variations (2 years - ???)
09. Show Take Lanes and Add Take Lane as buttons (2 years - ???)
10. Increase number of collections - 186 votes (2 years - open)
11. Improved Piano Roll (2 years - ???)
12. Better browser (Tags, Search, Most used items) - 175 votes (2 years - open)

Horyzon

Re: Subfolder in Collection

Post by Horyzon » Sun May 21, 2023 9:20 pm

Hey!

I'm a total newbie to Ableton Live 11 (coming from FL Studio), and let me tell you, I was stoked to discover the Collections section for organizing my plugins. It seemed like the perfect solution... until I realized I couldn't add subfolders to Collections. Major bummer.

So, I went on a mission to find workarounds, and I stumbled upon this YouTube video (https://youtu.be/6bFhECd1Y5A) that suggests creating subfolders in the user library and then saving the plugins into those subfolders using the "save preset" function. It kinda works for VST3 files, but things get tricky with VST2. You gotta create an Audio Effect Rack, rename it, and save it as a .adg file.

I mean, come on, wouldn't it be way easier if we could simply add subfolders to Collections? I hope they're listening and make this happen soon. Some folks are resorting to reorganizing their entire VST folder in Explorer/Finder, creating subfolders manually. But seriously, Ableton, we need a simpler solution built right into Collections.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that the Ableton development team catches wind of this request and decides to implement subfolders in Collections. It would be a total game-changer. Thanks for bringing up this issue, here's to hoping for some positive changes :)

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Mon May 22, 2023 2:42 pm

I think it's a necessary step in evolution. It's great now, but it could be better. Thanks for posting this here. I do think the Abe's have plans for this. (not saying, just saying :lol: )
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon May 22, 2023 3:58 pm

Add the items you want in a subfolder in Collections to an actual subfolder in your User Library or Places, then color tag that subfolder.

Then you get a subfolder (with its own subfolders) in Collection.

Since any tagged folder appears as a subfolder in Collections.
♥♥♥

svennirusl

Post by svennirusl » Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:26 pm

chris harbin wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:42 pm
It's great now, but it could be better.
Please don't call this mess great. It's really not.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:31 pm

svennirusl wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:26 pm
chris harbin wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:42 pm
It's great now, but it could be better.
Please don't call this mess great. It's really not.
You bumped a two month thread to post this? It's this forum that is a mess. I can feel how I want, who are you?
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

svennirusl

Post by svennirusl » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:28 am

chris harbin wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:31 pm
You bumped a two month thread to post this? It's this forum that is a mess. I can feel how I want, who are you?
I am somewhat disgruntled. I am lost in a mess of plugins. I am... also rather rude, and I apologise about that. This was friendly fire.

I feel that the browsing interface could be so much better, that it seems to be built for people who haven't bought all that many plugins, or who have a better memory of what does what than I do.

But none of that is on you Chris, sorry I flamed at you.

svennirusl

Post by svennirusl » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:31 am

chris harbin wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:31 pm
who are you?
Oh and for context, there's also been a lot of posts (more on the beta forum) where people will talk down whatever features they themselves don't need, I think a frustration over that just kind of popped like a zit when I read that... But I don't think that's where you were going with that comment, I suspect you were just being positive. Which is something I need to work on (: