Hard Panning results in different frequencies.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Rimshot Graphix

Hard Panning results in different frequencies.

Post by Rimshot Graphix » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:06 pm

This, by far, is my weirdest issue to date.
happens with all mono files and files that i have set to mono through the utility.

when i do a hard pan left there is more low mids. When i pan hard right the higher frequencies are accentuated.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

Here are my troubleshoots:
1) i have tested 2 different speaker sets and used headphones.
2) it also does the same thing on stereo files
3) i have bypassed my Makee Big Knob and gone direct to Focusrite Scarlett
4) i have bypassed all and gone directly to the desktop with headphones.
5) i have turned the headphones around; just in case one of my ears has decided to stop working :)
6) Tried different audio playing apps (Adobe Audition, etc)

Here is a guess:
since it happens with both the Focusrite and the sound card on the computer, it is a Windows issue? Using the Focusrite pretty much acts as the sound card, correct? or is there still some dependency on the desktop's sound card?

Help!, lol. I cannot figure this one out!
-handsome john

yur2die4

Re: Hard Panning results in different frequencies.

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:58 pm

Is there a visible difference or is it only audible? So far this seems kinda fishy. Also wondering if maybe you have any additional devices on the master that might be doing some kind of processing you weren’t expecting.

Rimshot Graphix

Post by Rimshot Graphix » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:19 pm

weird, right?
at first i thought it was some Ableton strangeness; but if i take Ableton out of the equation and play the files in different audio apps (Adobe Audition)----
same result.
AaAargh!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:42 pm

Are you sure this is not your ears? (I hope not, but that's not a stupid question I think!)
Try with another sound card, and another computer if possible.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Rimshot Graphix

Post by Rimshot Graphix » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:18 am

duh! old man brain.
thank you for your suggestion: i hooked up everything to a laptop and the issue goes away.

so this leaves me with the question.

what is causing the problem? I assume it is not the sound card because the sound card does not come into play if the Focusrite is selected as the sound source (correct?)
is it just the way this HP computer is built?

Inquiring minds want to know.

again, thank you.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:06 pm

That is strange. I had a suspicion that it could possibly have something to do with sound card drivers or Windows sound settings. Seeing that you were using an interface mostly ruled that out for me but maybe it could be the case.

Are you for sure using ASIO drivers?
In settings for your sound card, there might be settings for like, 3D sound etc. sometimes they do really silly things that they think a customer would like.
Same goes for in Windows sound properties. I’d make sure there is no additional audio processing turned on in Win sound settings they might change the sound for whatever reason.

Rimshot Graphix

Post by Rimshot Graphix » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:45 pm

just in case anyone else has this happen....and it comes as a warning.

whenever you get a new system, make sure you do not have the sound built into the motherboard, which apparently is becoming a trend.

After much troubleshooting with HP, it turns out i will need to replace my motherboard.

if this had been a sound CARD issue, all i would have needed to do is replace the card.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:18 am

it still doesn't make sense since you said that the issue also occurred when using your external sound card...

Rimshot Graphix

Post by Rimshot Graphix » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:24 am

i know, from everything i've heard i was under the assumption that once an audio interface was in play, the audio stuff on the PC was out of the picture.
Still, nothing else explains why when i bypass everything and just plug headphones directly into the computer, it does it.

and yes, i am using ASIO drivers. (I think the FocusRite driver is naturally ASIO. ) it is literally listed Focusrite ASIO in Live's audio options

jmljunior

Post by jmljunior » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:55 am

An easy way to test is to record the hard panned audio, and then compare it with a spectrum vs. the original file. Are they indeed different?

But, are you 100% sure it's not your ears? I had a similar issue where my monitors always sounded panned slightly to the left. I was pretty convinced the monitors were out of balance, until after several pairs of headphones, I realized it was actually my hearing is slightly worse in one ear.

It's not uncommon to have frequency or volume imbalance in the ears, especially as we get older and have been to many loud events.

Rimshot Graphix

Post by Rimshot Graphix » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:17 pm

i was the first one to think it was my ears....my left ear is garbage.
but my troubleshoot of turning my headphones around and then getting the opposite effect took my ears out of the mix. (forgive the pun)
Also, i plugged all my same gear into my SurfaceBook and the problem went away.

HP delayed their motherboard replacement until this Tuesday. We shall see.

Rimshot Graphix

Post by Rimshot Graphix » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:17 pm

update: HP replaced the motherboard in my computer and the problem still persists. So it looks like it is an inherent issue with the sound that is built into the motherboard that HP is using. The onsite tech said there is a slot open for an audio card, but he agreed with me that if the problem exists when an external audio interface is in play (Focusrite using ASIO drivers), it might continue with a sound card.

just in case this helps someone: if you plan on producing music, do not buy an HP Z2.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:14 pm

Are you sure you checked all windows sound settings?? Audio enhancement etc? Everything should be turned off.

Settings are hidden in a few places, plus sometimes hidden in soundcard controls.

Rimshot Graphix

Post by Rimshot Graphix » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:26 pm

Thank you for your reply – yes, I thoroughly checked to see if there is anything activated within the sound settings that might be affecting it – and yes, everything that could've done it was turned off. I am using asio drivers provided by Focusrite, but even if i switch to the built in sound card, the problem still persists.

and the same equipment and set up does not do this on another computer (a Microsoft surface book two)

I am of the opinion since this is not an issue that is discussed on a regular basis in this forum, that it is a particular system problem – not a general PC or Windows problem

I love this HP, but I think I'm going to lay down my hard earned dollars on a Mac studio. I am not the Kool-Aid drinker of Mac, but you have to admit, they have less problems like this.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:28 pm

As a recent convert, there are a lot of cool things about the new processors (the reason why I converted). The most obvious perk I’d say is that it’s a very quiet machine (I’m on a laptop though), and you don’t really have to think much about on / off / restart.

The potential downside, which I haven’t experienced, being relatively new, is how you’ll see a lot of posts from users whenever there’s a major OS update.

You also open the possibility of getting Logic, very easy Bluetooth midi support, and if you have AirPods, some models support Dolby atmos / head tracking. But yeah. Sorry. Getting off topic 😅