Ableton adding in automation points at start/finish when moving the data

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
steveandthesea

Ableton adding in automation points at start/finish when moving the data

Post by steveandthesea » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:30 pm

Sorry the title is a bit confusing but I don't know how else to describe this.

I've got a bunch of songs that use a lot of automation, and I'm adding them into a "setlist" project. Each of these songs have multiple tracks, instruments, effects etc, and I've used automation to turn everything on at bar 3, then off at the end of the song. This is to avoid parts of different songs overlapping and to save on CPU as the setlist builds up with plug-ins and whatnot.

Whenever I add a new song into the master setlist, it gets dropped in at the start. Fine, no problem, but when I then drag that song over to where it should be, Ableton adds in alternative automation data. So now something that was supposed to switch on at bar 3 now turns on at bar 1, then off for 2 bars before it should start. See below:

1. here you can see 2 automation tracks of "Device on". They are both set to off at the start, then turn on at bar 3, then off again at the end of the song.

2. I drag the track a little along the timeline. Now the devices are set to start in the on position, turn off for a brief moment, then off again at the end and then on again. The on status at the start and end has just been added by Ableton, and I don't want it...

...what's going on here?

TIA.