Arpeggiator /note repeat delay

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
technolik

Arpeggiator /note repeat delay

Post by technolik » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:53 pm

Hello, I have a question regarding the Live 11 built-in arpeggiator. Whenever I want to play a midi note in the drum rack (with a click with a mouse or pressing a pad on my push 2 regarding the chosen sample, for example a snare, dragged from the drums into one slot of the drum rack) and use the arpeggiator to repeat the note, there is a time delay in the exact length of the beat I’ve chosen in the sync mode of the arp. If I chose for example 1/4 repetitions in the arpeggiator and then press a drum sound in the drum rack, it starts 1/4 note late and then continues to play as it should. Same goes for other tempos, using an arp with 1/1 beat has a time delay of a whole beat before the arped drum sample starts to play. My question is now: is there any way to have my arped sound playing directly when I push the pad or click on it without one 1/4, 1/8etc. Delay?
If tried everything i know, including:
Turning off and on the latency settings in options (this is what was recommended most of the time), changing every quantize setting I found etc.
Also I have to mention that if I don’t use the arpeggiator i don’t have any issues regarding latency on my computer or push. Also, the very same Problem occurs when I use the repeat button of the Push 2! It has the exact same amount of delay, if i use a snare from the drum rack for example and I set the note repeat mode of the push 2 to 1/4, it starts playing 1/4 after pushing the pad.
However, when using the arpeggiator in the piano roll while programming notes, it works. But I want to play live and spontaneously on my push 2 during gigs etc. And really need a properly working note repeat or arp function to create snare rolls without having to fingerdrum all the time, especially with faster rhythms and mixing DJ-like on a controller at the same time it’s hard to manage.
So help me and maybe you can Tell me if there is a bug in Abletons push 2s Note repeat function AND the live arpeggiator or if I can do anything about it.
It noticed this problems again and again searching for a solution in threads here on the Ableton support Forum but nobody could offer a solution which works.
However, I saw two DJs hitting the Pads on the Push 2 without a time Delay so there must be a way!

Cheers,

Nolik

Digitalunaticrusader

Re: Arpeggiator /note repeat delay

Post by Digitalunaticrusader » Mon May 01, 2023 10:39 pm

Hey there!
I want to do the same thing with my mpd218 from Akai. or at least it sounds like it ^^
Triggering bassdrum variations while holding down the physical pad of the controller and stopping the variaton when letting go....
Did you come across a solution meanwhile?
thanks in advance! :wink:

yur2die4

Re: Arpeggiator /note repeat delay

Post by yur2die4 » Mon May 01, 2023 11:48 pm

I would imagine you should hit the pad ‘slightly’ before the beat? Would be interesting to see how close to on-beat people were triggering these things.

Otherwise, I think with Sync off, you can have it always reset anytime you press the note (not 100% positive). The problem then becomes that your rate is now in milliseconds, which needs to be calculated. And you can’t switch milliseconds to different quantities on the fly.