Consider Adding TransposerRT to the Max for Live Devices That Ship with Live

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Tranceophile

Consider Adding TransposerRT to the Max for Live Devices That Ship with Live

Post by Tranceophile » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:33 pm

TransposerRT (the RT stands for "Real Time") is a pair of Max for Live MIDI effect devices which together greatly increase Ableton Live's potential for improvisation and composition. With TransposerRT, a user can issue MIDI pitch transpositions on the fly from a MIDI controller or clip on one track, resulting in other selected MIDI tracks transposing the output of the clips they're playing before being fed to the instruments on those tracks, effectively changing the key of what is playing on those tracks.

The device pair has been freely available on MaxForLive.com since 2015; with my recent release of Version 2.5, I have made a YouTube video describing it and demonstrating its capabilities. The devices are licensed according to the Creative Commons 4.0 BY Attribution, which means anyone may obtain them, use them, modify them, or even distribute and sell them, as long as they credit me as being their original creator.

Over the years I have had overwhelmingly positive comments from a small but enthusiastic population of users, and cannot help but think that many more people would find TransposerRT useful, if only they knew about it. It greatly increases freedom of improvisation: the user can play lead on one MIDI keyboard, for example, while playing pitch transpositions to the accompaniment tracks with one's index finger on another MIDI keyboard. It can also vastly speed up the process of composing bass, pad and other accompaniment clips, eliminating the necessity to select, copy, paste and transpose notes.

In summary, Ableton, please consider adding the TransposerRT device pair to the Max for Live devices which ship with all versions of Live, so that everyone can access them.