A Faster Alternative to Manually Transposing Material in MIDI Clips (Requires Max for Live)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Tranceophile

A Faster Alternative to Manually Transposing Material in MIDI Clips (Requires Max for Live)

Post by Tranceophile » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:02 am

[After reading the following, if you're still interested, please refer to the YouTube video I made, which will explain the capability and demonstrate it in action.]

Disclaimers:
- If you don't use MIDI clips (i.e., you work exclusively with audio files), this isn't for you.
- If your compositions don't involve pitch transpositions (are all in one "key"), this isn't for you.
- This solution assumes you have Max for Live on your system.
- You'll need to download my free Transposer RT Sender and Transposer RT Receiver (two separate devices) off the Max for Live repository at www.maxforlive.com.

Tired of creating transpositions in your bass, pad and other MIDI clips by copying, pasting and manually transposing? Sick of the tedium of having to perform transpositions individually for clips in different tracks, when you desire the resulting clips to have the same transpositions at the same points in time? If you decide you want to make a change to the pattern of transpositions in your song, wouldn't you like to be able to make the changes by editing just one clip, rather than having to go back and edit all of them? Would you like to be able to immediately see exactly what the transpositions are, all by themselves, without having to infer them by analyzing relationships among notes? Would you like to be able to create a new clip, and immediately have your chosen transpositions be applied to it? Would you like to do all of these things nondestructively, i.e., without altering the content of the original clips themselves?

If so, then you should check out TransposerRT, a free pair of Max for Live MIDI effect devices I created several years ago. Although I designed it primarily to facilitate improvisation (it allows me to play lead with one hand while I change the key of the accompaniment with my other hand), I have found it to be exceedingly useful for composition as well.

I hope you'll try it out, and apologize in advance for the long, pedantic video.

[erm]
Site Admin

Re: A Faster Alternative to Manually Transposing Material in MIDI Clips (Requires Max for Live)

Post by [erm] » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:28 pm

Moved to the Max 4 Live forum.
Ableton Forum Administrator