Two requests. Clip overlap and expand fx strip

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
yur2die4

Two requests. Clip overlap and expand fx strip

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:51 pm

I believe Live’s strength is in its ‘see everything at once’ approach. I think the fx strip has drawn many users and inspired a number of people to do amazing things. But it still ends up being a relatively narrow strip, and clip view seems to be resizeable.

I’d like to see the fx strip be able to be dragged up the way the clip view can be. And it’d be nice to see options for How it populates. Either by zooming the devices, or by stacking the devices such that a row of say 14 devices would then show up as 2 rows of 5 and a row of 4. With some scrolling etc. the zooming one would be more touch screen friendly, or just be nice for people who have high resolution and want bigger devices without magnifying Live.

The other request is overlapping clips in Arrangement View. This opens up a lot of possibilities for midi editing especially. I use Nanostudio 2 and really enjoy the possibilities with this dynamic. It could potentially be messy with audio clips, but I wouldn’t necessarily want to leave audio clips out of the picture for this feature as well.

yur2die4

Re: Two requests. Clip overlap and expand fx strip

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:52 pm

Bumping this. I saw a post where someone was working on articulations. And they noticed that transposing their clip would also change their articulations. Which could be even weirder if ‘key’ is turned on.

I think it would be nice to be able to have a clip on the same channel, alongside the note clip, that can contribute articulation changes. But even having clips of automation which can easily be moved around, duplicated, etc. all with the ability to be layered or stacked, upon the same channel.