Howto: Automation Overdub in Arrangement View?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rootxp

Howto: Automation Overdub in Arrangement View?

Post by Rootxp » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:07 pm

Hi,
i recorded some Session-View-Clips into the arrangement view, meanwhile controlling the Track Volume via Midi-Controller(Faders).

Since i was unhappy with the Volume Automation curve of track 1, i tried to re-record only the movement of the Volume Fader. Until i realized, i don't know how!

How to adjust the already recorded automation curve by playing back the track while moving the Fader of my Midi Controller?

it seems i m missing something i have to activate?

The only way i get Ableton to re-record my Midi-Fader-Movement is by Enabling the normal Arrangement-RECORD Button. BUT this way ONLY the volume-Fader-movement gets recorded, and the originally recorded notes in the Midi Track get deleted/overwritten with nothing.
I m sure i m missing something very obvious :D

Automation-Overdub with a Midi controller works fine with session-view clips, when the session-record-button is activated. But in Arrangement view, i m missing the right button for it.

Rootxp

Re: Howto: Automation Overdub in Arrangement View?

Post by Rootxp » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:21 pm

Oh, i found the answer myself shortly after putting the question
The Track must not be armed, then it's working.
No wonder i did not easily find that out, because i m using -enableArmOnSelection in the options.txt... Because Ableton doesn't have that option in the preferences...
I guess i can't have a smooth workflow after all in Ableton, having to mess with the options.txt everytime i want to work automation in arrangement view, 8O

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:19 am

If you have M4L, then this device has an auto-arm option (which can be quickly de/activated with a shortcut)

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:23 am

Your link’s broken :arrow: :?: