Volume of track "Output type: Sends Only" is lower than when track "output type: Master"/ How can I improve my set up?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gorillamode200

Volume of track "Output type: Sends Only" is lower than when track "output type: Master"/ How can I improve my set up?

Post by gorillamode200 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:56 am

Hi guys. I am trying to create a template where I can create continuous mixtapes and efficiently adjust parameters like 3 band EQ, LP/HP filter, effects like Delay, Reverb and Echo.

This is my set up so far:

1. I notice that when I set the output type to "Sends Only" on each track, the volume of the songs are a bit lower than when I set the output type to "Master". Is there any way to get around this from happening? If not, what would you suggest to get the correct volume of the songs?

2. I am using these return tracks (A: ODD, B: EVEN, C: D, R, E) so that I don't have to add my audio effects to each track redundantly. So far, after watching videos on Youtube about Return tracks, this is the best/most efficient way I can come up with for my template to create continuous mixes. My question is, is there a better way to do this? If it mostly looks good, is there anything I can do to improve this current set up?

Thank you guys.

fishmonkey

Re: Volume of track "Output type: Sends Only" is lower than when track "output type: Master"/ How can I improve my set u

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:29 am

regular sends are effectively doing parallel processing. their output is being added to the unprocessed signal on the master channel.

it sounds quieter in Sends Only mode because only the processed signal is hitting the master.

gorillamode200

Re: Volume of track "Output type: Sends Only" is lower than when track "output type: Master"/ How can I improve my set u

Post by gorillamode200 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:12 pm

So in other words.... it's supposed to be like that? If so, is there a way to maximize the volume back to its default? Or would I just have to increase the gain on the master?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:48 pm

Since it was parallel when sending tracks to Master and Send simultaneously as mentioned before, the signal was basically doubling up. Give or take (since some of the signal might have been colored by the filtering). So it was louder because you were hearing the song summed from two simultaneous sources.

When it’s only going through the sends it is not stacking on itself.

Something also to keep in mind is that the eq and filtering might do a little coloring of the original tracks. That might not be a deal breaker by any means. In some cases, that even adds to the energy. But it’s worth determining your intended sound and how the devices you’re using might affect your result. The EQ3 device does color sound but it’s very effective at cutting frequencies brute force. The LP / HP may or may not also have an influence on your overall output.

At the end of the day, nothing should stop you. You’ll just pick up different pieces of advice along the way to fine tune your setup. Some people have a little limiting, just incase. Etc.

gorillamode200

Post by gorillamode200 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:07 am

yur2die4 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:48 pm
Since it was parallel when sending tracks to Master and Send simultaneously as mentioned before, the signal was basically doubling up. Give or take (since some of the signal might have been colored by the filtering). So it was louder because you were hearing the song summed from two simultaneous sources.

When it’s only going through the sends it is not stacking on itself.
Ohhhhhh okay that makes sense the way you explain it!

Thanks much!