help with macOS audio midi settings

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
swett

help with macOS audio midi settings

Post by swett » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:06 pm

Hello people.

As you might know, macOS has a panel for configuring hardware devices for audio and midi called Audio midi setup. There you make aggregate devices and arrange clock sources and audio in/outputs in various forms. The options are endless, and different configurations give different levels of quality performance. Well, I'm trying to figure out the best combo for my current set of tools.
Anyone here has some advice>?

My current setup is all external hardware hooked up via USB cables, and inside the AMS I create an aggregate device where the SSL 2+ interface is at the top with channels 1/2, followed by a TR08 drum machine using Chanels 3 to 13, and finally a JU-06A synth using the last two 14/15 channels.
Clock source for all units is the SSL 2+ (which I guess means Ableton?), and the drift correction box is ticked for both Roland boutiques.

It works, but its not extremely solid, and I find I have to tweak the delay compensation and midi clock sync delay sliders in Ableton preferences every time I open the DAW.

All companies (Ableton, Apple, Solid State Logic, Roland) seem to send me to each other to figure out how all this should be managed, and finding the right info is a maze.
If someone here has some ideas, I'll happily take them.
Thanks,
B

swett

Re: help with macOS audio midi settings

Post by swett » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:14 pm

(rolling tumbleweed passes by......)

Tarekith

Re: help with macOS audio midi settings

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:30 pm

Honestly this has usually been my experience with aggregate devices for many years now, regardless of the DAW. It's nice and convenient, but not always the most stable when it comes to repeatable latency (or just stability in general).
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com