Sync everything in an Ableton project across computers in realtime

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dhkam

Sync everything in an Ableton project across computers in realtime

Post by dhkam » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:48 pm

Hey everyone!

I am considering building a studio that would have separate rooms for different instruments, all mic’ed up, etc. I want all of my audio and MIDI to be able to be recorded without going back and forth, so here was my idea:
Get a couple of Macs and link all of the Ableton sessions so I can press record on one and it sends it to my main in near real-time.
In an ideal world, here are all of the things I would want to happen:
1. Be able to have it arrangement aware—if I put the play head on one place on one computer, it will be the same on all others.
2. They all start and stop at the same time.
3. All tempo changes are applied to all computers.
4. I can press arm and record on one computer and it will arm and record on the main one (for audio and MIDI)

I basically just want the projects to be nearly or exactly the same across all computers and be synced in real-time. I can use any kinds of cables, ethernet, hard drives or whatever, I just want to know if this is even possible. Thanks so much!

fishmonkey

Re: Sync everything in an Ableton project across computers in realtime

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:25 pm

sounds like a nightmare to me! you would be better off having one computer that you can view and control from each room!

lincolnkid

Re: Sync everything in an Ableton project across computers in realtime

Post by lincolnkid » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:47 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:25 pm
sounds like a nightmare to me! you would be better off having one computer that you can view and control from each room!
Agreed. Try two screens, two keyboards, one computer.