I need help with live gig setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DwayneW7

I need help with live gig setup

Post by DwayneW7 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:58 pm

I need help learning about how to send raw mixer vocals to ableton to add vocal effects like Antares/waves or reverb and etc, but then sending it back to my mixer output to a speaker system. Im not quite sure how to do this and not sure what usb interface mixer is a good beginner one that can receive audio from ableton and back out to a speaker. Anyone have any ideas? And also how would I set up the raw vocal being sent into ableton and back into the mixer as a processed vocal and out the mixer to a soeaker system?? Thank you very much!! :D

dsu

Re: I need help with live gig setup

Post by dsu » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:30 pm

There are a couple of basic things to be aware of; Hardware and Software.

Hardware:

Assuming you have a mixer that the vocal mics are plugged in you will need to split the signal from the each vocal mic before it goes into the mixer so you can send it to Live. This can be done by using a some sort of mic splitter. Here is an example https://www.radialeng.com/product/js2. In this case the mic goes into the splitter and then there are two mic cables, one that goes directly into the mixer and then another cable that goes into the computer running Live.

To get the microphone signal into live you need an audio interface of some sort. The type of interface really depends on how many mics you want to process. If you have only one mic than you only need a simple stereo interface. 3 or more vocals and you need a interface with 3 or more inputs and outputs.

Software:
Inside Live for each vocal input you set up your effects chain and set the track on input so you can hear it. Then each track is assigned to an individual hardware output.

More hardware:
Each hardware output needs a cable back into the mixer so that the effect can be added to the mix.

An Alternative approach:
You could view Live as an external effect and use the effect send busses on the main mixer to send the vocals to Live. This eliminates the need for the mic splitters. It might be that you want to send all of the vocals to the same effects in Live. This reduces the number of inputs and outputs for the audio interface feeding Live.

There isn't a single correct answer to this question. Like most things in audio, the solution depends on what you actually want to do and your budget. Often you don't know what you want to do until you try a few things to see what works.

For example, you might want to have some sort of controller like a foot switch that the singer can use to turn the effect on or off. Or a bank of switches that let the singer select the a different effect for each song or section of a song.

Good luck
dsu