Using Ableton Looper With Push 2

Discuss Push with other users.
NewFutureFantasy

Using Ableton Looper With Push 2

Post by NewFutureFantasy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:28 pm

Is there a better way to use Ableton's Looper with the Push 2 than the way I have devised?
Here's what I do;
On the track I have the looper I create four dummy clips which automate the turning on of the record, overdub, play and stop functions respectively.
The looper is set to a fix bar length, and all the record and overdub functions are set equal to this fix bar length. The play and stop functions are set at one bar always.
All the dummy tracks have the follow action set to stop, so they all stop after one cycle.
To create loops I press the record clip, then I have one cycle of the fixed bar length to rehearse the part, as of course the track cannot accept and record the input while the clip is playing. When the clip stops, due to the follow action being set as previously described, I then play the part. I have to take care to stop my playing precisely when the fixed length finishes, especially if it is a legato part that might overspill into the next bar. Then, once my hands are free (I am primarily a guitarist) I can press the play clip which will immediately stop recording. To do overdubs I press the overdub clip then again rehearse the part for one cycle then play and stop as before, again pressing the play clip to stop recording.
Once all overdubbing is complete I can start or stop the loop using the play or stop clips.
The advantage of this is that I can run multiple instances of the looper on multiple tracks, creating lush symphonic harmony sounds using guitar and vocal loops. I can set up new tracks with the looper as and when the inspiration takes me, as I have template tracks with the looper and dummy clips stored i my favourites.
The main disadvantage is that the loops do not stop bang on the bar line. I wish they did, because currently having to stop playing manually feels clumsy, and can result in ugly overshots. Also, as explained above I have to wait one cycle before recording commences. This can be good, as it gives me a chance to rehearse and perfect the part to be looped, but also it can slow things down and also feel clumsy. It would be great to have the option to immediately record.
Can anyone think of a way I could achieve these things, or maybe improve on this arrangement?