Live 11 with StreamDeck

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
buckman

Live 11 with StreamDeck

Post by buckman » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:05 pm

Does anyone here use a Stream Deck with Ableton?

Just looking at one and weighing up the benefits and what it can do with Live?

For example, does the Stream Deck with Ableton just store quick actions for simple things in Live, or does it allow for multiple actions at once, under one key/button to take place, rather like Reaper's Actions and macros?

Thanks

Christian61

Re: Live 11 with StreamDeck

Post by Christian61 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:19 pm

Hi,

I use the 15-button Streamdeck (iPad app version) with Live to do almost everythink like:
Start/stop, loop, jump to markers ect.
change views / browser / details ect.
load my favourite VSTs, FXs and midi FX (several 100 buttons)
Color / name tracks and a lot more…

Nice is that streamdeck buttons (with your own image) can have 'multi actions' to define a serie
of (Ableton) keystrokes / shortcuts or text entries / pauses / etc/ect. to get the job done.
You can even trigger actions in other programs like BetterTouchTool (Mac)
It is next to the SSL UC1/UF8 a vital part of my setup.

To get an idea of a multi action in streamdeck (to load a VST):

Some other examples:

Main screen

Track functions

FX Groups

FX

VST

Midi effects

Have fun,
Christian
Last edited by Christian61 on Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gear: MBP M1 Max • iMac 27" • Quartet • SSL UF1/UC1/UF8 • Push2 • Virus TI • NI • Arturia / Korg / Roland / SD3 / Omnisphere / Trillian / RMX • Waves / Slate / SSL Plugins • Ableton 12 • Fender Jazz Bass/Strat/Tele • Gibson Les Paul • Kemper profiler

buckman

Post by buckman » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:38 pm

Thanks Christian!

This is really interesting, and the google images look great.
It gives a great insight into what the Stream Deck can do without learning the key commands!

And I guess you can set this up for not only Ableton, but Logic, etc too?

Very interested in your Stream Deck keys, like MIDI pitch, launching certain VST's, chords, scales etc!

Did you set these up personally, to your way of working or are they standard Live functions mapped to a StreamDeck button? :)

Christian61

Post by Christian61 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:08 pm

There are no predefined mappings / plugins for Live in Streamdeck I could use...
my main purpose for SD was initially to easily find and load my VST / FX and don't have to search everytime in the Live Browser for them...

there some paid DAW setups like here:
https://www.sideshowfx.net/ableton-live-mc-stream-deck

Streamdeck plugins:
https://apps.elgato.com/plugins
Gear: MBP M1 Max • iMac 27" • Quartet • SSL UF1/UC1/UF8 • Push2 • Virus TI • NI • Arturia / Korg / Roland / SD3 / Omnisphere / Trillian / RMX • Waves / Slate / SSL Plugins • Ableton 12 • Fender Jazz Bass/Strat/Tele • Gibson Les Paul • Kemper profiler

Christian61

Post by Christian61 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:42 pm

and the latest SD page I made is a kind of 'Preset Skipper' deck...

The idea is to load up a VST (or FX) and then press a SD button to skip 'automatically' through their factory presets.
(like:
press a cursor down key, (... next preset will load)
wait 10 seconds (to audition the new sound)
and then
repeat this 5 / 10 times

Some VST/FX allow to skip presets with up/down cursors, while some other VST allow only mouse clicks
( in such a case you have to move the mouse first to the right spot in the VST )

Last edited by Christian61 on Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

buckman

Post by buckman » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:50 pm

Christian61 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:08 pm
There are no predefined mappings / plugins for Live in Streamdeck I could use...
my main purpose for SD was initially to easily find and load my VST / FX and don't have to search everytime in the Live Browser for them...

there some paid DAW setups like here:
https://www.sideshowfx.net/ableton-live-mc-stream-deck

Streamdeck plugins:
https://apps.elgato.com/plugins
This is great and exactly what i'm looking for, especially in my other programs that I don't really use, due to key commands that I can never find! like Logic Pro, FL Studio, Reaper etc! so if I can do this for all these DAW's and more then great!

So correct me if im wrong (spologies just researching the SD) so I could set up in Ableton for example :

1. Open new Audio Track
2. Set it to Resampling
3. Set it to Record into the Resampling track
4. Disarm

All under one SD button press?
:)

Christian61

Post by Christian61 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:12 pm

you can do it with a SD button If you can do all of it in Ableton only with your keyboard. (moving a mouse to a x/y pos and click there is not available in SD as far as I know...)

"Set it to Resampling" can be done only with a mouse or not ?

buckman

Post by buckman » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:24 pm

Ok so it can only map key commands from buttons, keys and not Mouse Moveable things?

Christian61

Post by Christian61 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:14 pm

Check here the standard function for a.SD button
https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/artic ... 4NSYM2YTXE

You would need an additional tool like BetterTouchTool for mouse clicks (BTT is only for Mac), BTT can be triggered from a SD button.
BTT can do mouse moves / drags / clicks etc. and much more.

But
… the main issue is really , that the ‘current’ selected active track can be anywhere on the Live screen. You might have 25 tracks or only 2.
SD / BTT would not know which is selected and to which x/y pos to move the mouse to to get the “Set it to Resampling”. clicked (at the moment you press the SD button). I had similar issues and did not found a solution.

buckman

Post by buckman » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:31 am

Thanks Christian61

I will have a look at Better Touch Tool, as this is all new to me.
I didnt really want to install lots of different Apps, so maybe the Mouse stuff I still do, but the Stream Deck does look good as its customizable, programmable, and hardware buttons!

Been looking on Youtube and some of the SD set ups for Ableton, Logic, Cubase, even Google, look really good.

Personally looking at the SD XL with the more buttons, as its not that different to the smaller v2 SD. :)

Christian61

Post by Christian61 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:28 am

Great,

one idea might be to 'test drive' whether/how the button programming works is to use the
streamdeck app (on iPhone/iPad/ect), it can be used instead of the SD hardware. In my case I have an 'old' iPad Mini to run streamdeck.

https://www.elgato.com/de/stream-deck-mobile

JeanB31

Post by JeanB31 » Sat May 20, 2023 1:01 pm

Hi Christian,

You say that you can jump from one marker to an other with the streamdeck..
How do you do that ?
Do you use a midi plugin like MIDI by Trevliga Spel ? And send midi control change to Ableton?

Thank you !

Jean

Christian61 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:19 pm
Hi,

I use the 15-button Streamdeck (iPad app version) with Live to do almost everythink like:

Nice is that streamdeck buttons (with your own image) can have 'multi actions' to define a serie
of (Ableton) keystrokes / shortcuts or text entries / pauses / etc/ect. to get the job done.
You can even trigger actions in other programs like BetterTouchTool (Mac)

To get an idea of a multi action in streamdeck (to load a VST):

Some other examples:

Main screen

Track functions

FX Groups

FX

VST

Midi effects

Have fun,
Christian

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon May 22, 2023 1:28 am

Christian61 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:08 pm
This!
Ableton Forum Moderator

Christian61

Post by Christian61 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:50 pm

JeanB31 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:01 pm
Hi Christian,

You say that you can jump from one marker to an other with the streamdeck..
How do you do that ?
Do you use a midi plugin like MIDI by Trevliga Spel ? And send midi control change to Ableton?

Thank you !

Jean
Hi Jean,

first define some locators in Live ( I named them 1..8 ) and then some key mappings 1..8, so that you can jump to locators with the keyboard...
like here:

and then define in Stream Deck a button to send some 'system text' like '2' (that will send a 2 key to Live, which jumps to locator '2' )
like so:

Hope that helps...
Christian

othernet

Post by othernet » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:23 am

Christian61 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:19 pm
Hi,

Have fun,
Christian
Hi Christian, how do you use your UF-1 together with Stream Deck? Do you select the plugin or action on SD, and then use the jog wheel on the UF-1 to change the values? I’m looking at Stream Deck+ and wondering if I’m doubling up on a control surface. The encoders in the plus seems to be do the same work as the jog wheel. Thanks!