Issues recording vinyl

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Barry Brosnan

Issues recording vinyl

Post by Barry Brosnan » Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:53 pm

Hi everyone I know this probably comes up a lot but I'm having trouble recording into ableton. Any help here would be really appreciated
I have 2 technics, 2 pioneer XDJs and an Allen and Heath Xone 43.
I'm coming out of my xone 43 with a phono to mini jack and that's going into an M audio M track solo audio interface which is connected via USB to my laptop which runs ableton 11. It's only picking up channel 2 on my inputs. I'm a bit lost tbh, I used to record vinly back in 2007 and never had any issues like this everything was on one cable out of the mixer direct to a PC and the mix was picked as stereo on Ableton.
As you've proabaly gathered I'm not too savvy with computers and recording!!!

Tarekith

Re: Issues recording vinyl

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:45 pm

In Live's audio preferences did you select the stereo input for the M-Track? By default it's probably only selected a mono input.

Barry Brosnan

Post by Barry Brosnan » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:30 pm

It's on stereo and always was, I'm fairly stuck on this now. The audio preferences seem setup properly and it's fairly straightforward. But I'm only getting half my mix

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:45 am

is the M-Track showing that it has a stereo signal coming in? exactly what kind of phono to mini-jack cable are you using?

Barry Brosnan

Post by Barry Brosnan » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:32 am

I'll check after work but I think the M track only has a flashing light to indicate a signal, I don't think it differentiates between mono and stereo and I'm using a standard phono to mini jack, don't know what brand and the mini jack is going into a regular headphone jack.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:06 am

ok, i'm guessing you are using the (stereo) headphone out of your DJ mixer. the documentation for your audio interface is scanty, however i'm assuming that it has two mono line inputs.

you are going to need a Y cable (or equivalent set of cables and adaptors) to split the stereo headphone output to two mono outputs (L + R). like this:

Barry Brosnan

Post by Barry Brosnan » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:14 pm

I'm coming from the record out on my mixer with a Y lead like the one above except phono instead of trs.

I think I've bought the wrong audio interface tbh, it has one jack input and one xlr. I thought my phono to mini jack would record in stereo but I was wrong about that.

If I change my audiointerface for one which has 2 XLR inputs and come out of my mixer with phono to XLR adapters and into the interface I should be able to record into Ableton on 2 audio channels, am I right in saying that?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:11 am

Barry Brosnan wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:14 pm
I'm coming from the record out on my mixer with a Y lead like the one above except phono instead of trs.

I think I've bought the wrong audio interface tbh, it has one jack input and one xlr. I thought my phono to mini jack would record in stereo but I was wrong about that.

If I change my audiointerface for one which has 2 XLR inputs and come out of my mixer with phono to XLR adapters and into the interface I should be able to record into Ableton on 2 audio channels, am I right in saying that?
channel 1 on your interface has a "combo" jack, which will take XLR or a phono plug. your interface is fine.

you don't have to use a Y-cable by the way, you could use the main outs of your DJ mixer, or a couple of the RCA outputs with a pair of different cables and adaptors.

if you do want to use a Y-cable, you have to have the right kind. the plug that goes into the headphone jack of your DJ mixer MUST be a TRS plug, and the other two MUST be TS plugs. any other combination will not be a stereo to L/R mono cable. you need either the cable i posted earlier, or an all 1/4" phono one like this:

Barry Brosnan

Post by Barry Brosnan » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:57 am

Thanks, really appreciate your help