connecting 2 macbooks via midi

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kebabman

connecting 2 macbooks via midi

Post by kebabman » Tue May 09, 2023 9:20 am

Hi there

Apologies if covered elsewhere....

I'm trying to connect 2 2012 mbps together via midi. Mbp 1 has Live 11 on it with me triggering scenes for my live show. Mbp 2 has Magic visuals for my live show. Up to this point I've been triggering the visuals on the second machine manually at gigs. This is a pain trying to do it in time etc. Somebody told me I could link the 2 machines via midi?

I've tried doing this as follows...

Ableton machine to my Roland MX1 mixer/soundcard thing via standard usb lead. I then have 5 pin midi in/out (no thru) on the mx1. I then plug a midi in/out lead into this and on the other end of this cable is a usb which goes into my visuals mac.

I find I can click on things on my visualiser mac and a midi light flashes on my Ableton mac but I can't send midi the other way like I want - from Ableton mbp to visuals mbp. Is it overcomplicating things using the Mx1?

Is there a much easier way using 2 of these midi to usb leads and plugging them into some midi hub or something?

There is a bloke doing this on youtube with an ethernet cable but I don't want to connect to the internet to do any of this.

Many thanks in advance
If I'm not there I'll cut my hair...

DunedinDragon

Re: connecting 2 macbooks via midi

Post by DunedinDragon » Tue May 09, 2023 11:22 am

If all you want to do it control the visualizer from your Ableton scene, configure your MIDI device in Ableton and add a MIDI track that outputs to that device, then add the MIDI command at the appropriate place in that track. There are plenty of YouTube videos on the subject to guide you in setting it up.

kebabman

Re: connecting 2 macbooks via midi

Post by kebabman » Tue May 09, 2023 12:44 pm

Thank you, I'll have a look on YT at how to do this.
If I'm not there I'll cut my hair...