Push 3 CV via ADAT?

Discuss Push with other users.
jamesstiff

Push 3 CV via ADAT?

Post by jamesstiff » Wed May 24, 2023 12:51 pm

I'm really curious whether it would be possible to expand on the four CV outputs via ADAT and an Expert Sleepers ES-9?

jamesstiff

Re: Push 3 CV via ADAT?

Post by jamesstiff » Wed May 24, 2023 4:51 pm

According to a response over on the Elektronauts forum, CV via ADAT should be possible with Expert Sleepers ES-8. The ES-9 has S/PDIF rather than ADAT.

mrweasel

Post by mrweasel » Wed May 24, 2023 4:53 pm

That’s interesting

NorthernKind

Post by NorthernKind » Mon May 29, 2023 10:59 am

jamesstiff wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:51 pm
I'm really curious whether it would be possible to expand on the four CV outputs via ADAT and an Expert Sleepers ES-9?
I can confirm the ADAT out via an ES-3 works perfectly. I’ve been using an ES-3 via a UA Apollo but swapped it to my Push 3 to test.

I’m going to order an ES-6 to give me 6 audio ins which should also work fine, however I have an ES-3 Mk1 so will need to see how I can add the expansion header for the ES-6 as I think it needs to be soldered, later versions of the ES-3 have a dedicated header. I believe the connection is required to provide the sample rate clock

adrien.doerig

Post by adrien.doerig » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:11 am

Sounds great! Do you think the ES-8 can handle both CV outs and audio in simultaneously via ADAT? And do you know the ES-8 inputs + push will manage to amplify line level signals enough to be recorded in push? If so, push3+es-8 sounds like an amazing combo.

Or would es-3 + es-6 achieve something similar at lower cost?

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:53 pm

jamesstiff wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:51 pm
I think you have to make sure converters don't filter out DC from what I remember.

adrien.doerig

Post by adrien.doerig » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:26 am

adrien.doerig wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:11 am
Sounds great! Do you think the ES-8 can handle both CV outs and audio in simultaneously via ADAT? And do you know the ES-8 inputs + push will manage to amplify line level signals enough to be recorded in push? If so, push3+es-8 sounds like an amazing combo.

Or would es-3 + es-6 achieve something similar at lower cost?
So i tried doing the above with es-8 and I'm happy to say that it worked out of the box with zero problems or setup necessary! Great combo.

adrien.doerig

Post by adrien.doerig » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:26 pm

Has anyone tried to us the es3 to get 8 outputs AND the es 6 to get six inputs at the same time via ADAT? Does this work for both cv and audio signals?

DoubleWah

Post by DoubleWah » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:33 pm

Yes, I’ve had the ES-3 and ES-6 working well with Push for both audio and CV simultaneously.

invertednothing

Post by invertednothing » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:19 pm

Hi. I also have the Es-3 and ES-6 (and ES-7) to have 8in/8out. Works nice...

the only problem... I struggle to get CV Instrument working correctly regarding pitch in standalone. (It the same with the CV Out and not and ADAT or ES-X problem) The pitch is always at least 6 octaves higher.

elbows

Post by elbows » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:28 pm

invertednothing wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:19 pm
Hi. I also have the Es-3 and ES-6 (and ES-7) to have 8in/8out. Works nice...

the only problem... I struggle to get CV Instrument working correctly regarding pitch in standalone. (It the same with the CV Out and not and ADAT or ES-X problem) The pitch is always at least 6 octaves higher.
I've compared standalone to normal Live using ADAT with ES-3.

I have not analysed the voltages themselves, and I've only used a Behringer Kobol as a test. And I would certainly agree that there is a big difference between standalone and normal. When I run calibration in normal live, I have to turn the pitch tuning knob of Kobol oscillators up rather high in order to get the initial C3 pitch out of a Kobol oscillator. When used standalone, I have to turn that Kobol knob down to a much lower position, and obviously I dont get access to the calibration routine that I'm used to from that CV instrument Ableton device when using normal Live.

At this stage I wouldnt like to say whether the standalone mode is the only culprit here, having to turn the oscillator pitch knob up as high as I do on the Kobol when calibrating pitch in normal Live makes me wonder if there is something odd with that Ableton devices use of CV voltages for pitch too! But I havent given it enough thought or analysed the voltages properly, nor have I tried anything other than the Kobol.

elbows

Post by elbows » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:44 pm

I suppose in theory the difference might be down to this bugfix listed for CV tools pack update:

"Outputs were set to bipolar which do not match Push’s unipolarity"

So maybe the Push version of the device always uses unipolar (positive only) voltage output for pitch, regardless of whether you are using Push built in CV outputs or something else via ADAT. And if you are used to normally having bipolar selected in normal live for the pitch output, the difference will be notable.

elbows

Post by elbows » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:55 pm

I have now tested that theory by using normal live and illuminating the + icon in the pitch section of the CV Instrument device, and yeah, I think that explains the difference.

invertednothing

Post by invertednothing » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:06 pm

elbows wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:55 pm
I have now tested that theory by using normal live and illuminating the + icon in the pitch section of the CV Instrument device, and yeah, I think that explains the difference.
Wow, what a good idea! You're right. I'll test it too — but it's strange that the the CV instrument calibration C3 is so far away from the one without CV instruments just with the tuner.

invertednothing

Post by invertednothing » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:13 pm

just tested it. It really looks that this is the problem. Funny thing, in + mode, I'm not able to pitch my VCO down to even reach C3. At least not the mavis. And also with the Beta .20b4 version the problem still exists. Sad. I guess that means RIP CV instrument and order a Midi to CV module...