11.3.2 update was very poorly handled

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
[jur]
Site Admin

Re: 11.3.2 update was very poorly handled

Post by [jur] » Fri May 26, 2023 12:36 am

Hey everyone, please don't start a fight, thanks.
Those who experience issues need to report to Support.
Those who don't, please consider that people have the right to express their concerns.
thx
Ableton Forum Moderator

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 26, 2023 2:04 am

Sorry, I get too hot headed sometimes.

Thankfully all I'd really done with this release was try to work on a copy of something, the fact that it didn't work right and I couldn't click anything prevented me from doing too much so it wasn't that much problem to roll back live and step back a few versions of the set. . I always save with filenames appended with a 3 digit id . Like mysong-001.als, mysong-002.als, etc. so the test 11.3.2 sets are easily discarded and I am just going back to 11.2 and the sets that were created with it.

I am gigging with hardware sequencers at the moment so fortunately there's no pressure there (my laptop stays on a known trusted version). But I suspect that a lot of people will be opening the new version with a small set and assuming its all ok, only to be caught out by UI lag when they open their massive performance set. At that point they will be deep into problem territory.

I only noticed a small difference in CPU in my test set, because despite being very large it only usually consumes 1% cpu in L 11.2. In the buggy version it was using 3%. Hardly worth mentioning as an absolute value but as a percentage its quite a lot. I didn't dare test any of the more cpu hungry sets as I have no idea what that version of Live is doing to the assets. Whether its corrupting them or not.

Venetian

Post by Venetian » Fri May 26, 2023 4:45 pm

Live 11.3 is analysing due to the new AutoWarp. The way to prevent this would be to set "Preferences -> Files / Folders -> Create Analysis Files" to ON. The older asd would then be overwritten. This process always happens, but the analysis file (asd) loads stored data on disk. The new update still keeps all warp markers and user-generated information, it's just the analysis data that needs to be computed.

wwjdavid

Post by wwjdavid » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:51 pm

Yes! agreed! completely. Im a worship leader at my church and handle all worship sets all throughout the week. I have 2 MacBook pro's with M1 Max chip maxed out with everything on them, and they can't handle 3 song sets, constantly crashing, thing that would never happen before. I downgraded to Live 11.0 and that did the trick. But, this was all after a couple of crashes while the sets were going on. Please FIX THIS! when you rush updates, you forget that you are hurting all your users who depend on this for their work and Live sets. I have to assume people are having problems with this everywhere. Please it would be good to hear from some you guys some confirmation that you are aware of this issue. Thanks!

a machine of loving grace

Post by a machine of loving grace » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:17 pm

Having the same issues on two different computers, one a decent laptop; the other a very powerful desktop.

Note it has nothing to do with the warping update associated with 11.3.2 as it works slow even on a new, blank set with the default template.

Already reported it to technical support. Just wondering if others are having similar issues with sets that clearly don't involve warping.

thanks
Laptop specs

Live 11.3.2
Windows 2023-06 cumulative update
Drivers are up to date
tested with ASIO and native soundcard (realtek)
Dell
System Model Latitude 9420
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz, 2995 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
16 GB ram

Desktop specs
Live 11.3.2
Windows 2023-06 cumulative update
Drivers are up to date
tested with ASIO and native soundcard (realtek)

Orbital
Silenced Q2000
Intel Core i9 11900K - 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 5.3 GHz Max Turbo
64gb ram
focusrite scarlett 4i4 [drivers up to date]

wwjdavid

Post by wwjdavid » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:31 pm

Yes its not associated with the warping. I have disabled auto warp and im not currently warping anything, and its still slow and it crashes. Please ableton let us know you are aware of this issues!

dsu

Post by dsu » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:19 pm

Glad to read this thread. I was editing audio on June 10th and Live would consistently create a spinning beach ball each time I press Command E. Very annoying.

I just loaded Live up and it is at version 11.3.3 so maybe an update happened since June 10 and things will be normal again. I won't be able to get back to the studio today so I won't have a sense if the .3 update fixed the issue.

EDIT June 15:

Just took a quick look at the Live set that was giving me the problems on June 10th and it seems to behaving normally. Absence of evidence is not evidence for absence but it might be that the autoupdate to .3 has resolved the issue.

Fingers crossed.

ds
Last edited by dsu on Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoping2produce

Post by hoping2produce » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:17 am

just wanted to add my .2 cents. I have noticed performance issues since the latest update. I have loved Ableton, until now. I have experienced the places/index issue (constantly spinning or spinning for seemingly no reason, when nothing has changed). But I also notice a general lag from time-to-time, that I cannot troubleshoot. Overall, nothing on my system has changed except the Ableton update. If I jump into FL studio and load up heavy plugins and all the effects, I can't even get my CPU to overload or see any lag. It's frustrating because I want to produce, I don't want to troubleshoot my software while I am trying to be creative.

scruffyfox

Post by scruffyfox » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:43 pm

I'm also having TONS of issues with Live in the most recent version

my most frequent issue is how live completely freezes up and does not respond when im turning gear on. not even force quitting the process from task manager is enough to actually get it to close, I have to do a complete and full reboot of my computer. I cant isolate what is causing this, but not being able to force quit the process is really weird
i9-10850K 3.60GHz, 32GB DDR4 3600mhz, RTX 3070

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:20 pm

scruffyfox wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:43 pm
I'm also having TONS of issues with Live in the most recent version

my most frequent issue is how live completely freezes up and does not respond when im turning gear on. not even force quitting the process from task manager is enough to actually get it to close, I have to do a complete and full reboot of my computer. I cant isolate what is causing this, but not being able to force quit the process is really weird
I've experienced a little bit of what you say, and it's NOT autowarping (happens w/o audio files sometimes)

But overall (and I'm not sure if I can mention certain things, but everyone probably knows what I'm talking about) things have been smooth as a babies bottom on my end, specs below.
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

yagurlreese

Post by yagurlreese » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:30 pm

Agreed. Also still no seemingly no brainer QoL features like, compatabillity sets, (so i can skip this horrid update personally, but still work with friends who can upgrade just fine. Or Track Search, or AutoSave. Like seriously, why do i have to PAY SOMEONE FOR A M4L device for autosave????
I've been having so many issues with this update, crashes, crashes on top of crashes. its crazy. I'm goin back to 11.2

dsu

Post by dsu » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:44 am

Did two recordings of over 25 minutes each using 11.3.3. While it is better than 11.3.2 it still beach balls wait too often compared to basically that last year of working with Live. Something has changed and not for the better.

Mac M1 mini with 16 GB ram 6.21 GB in use. 4 tracks of 48k 24 bit audio. So it doesn't seem that resources are the problem.

I did notice that the Ableton Indexer is writing a lot to the disk. Almost as much as Live itself I wonder if this is contributing to the spinning beach ball? The disk is SSD on a dedicated USB 3 bus.

scruffyfox

Post by scruffyfox » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:41 pm

basically a daily occurrence for me.

This time, Live not responding after turning on my Behringer Neutron + Juno JU-06A, all my other gear was on and working. Then trying to force close it produces

after 15 minutes the application finally closes. Live 11.3.3.
i9-10850K 3.60GHz, 32GB DDR4 3600mhz, RTX 3070

mafgar

Post by mafgar » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:23 pm

11.3.3 is also unusable for me in any situation. Tons of crashes and visual lag regardless of project contents or lack thereof
11.2 works great tho
womp womp

lalakulo

Post by lalakulo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:53 pm

Did a automatic update from live 11.3.2 to 11.3.3 and no push 3 driver gets installed. While i work with windows image backups i first updated live 11.3.2. to 11.3.3 manual, and got the push 3 driver. Since i have a push 2 could it be automatic updates skips the push 3 driver seeing a push 2? Not much of a big deal though not having the push 3 driver :)

The real problems are places spinning, max starting taking a while or sometimes hangs upon start. Vst scan taking forever.
2 days ago i did the automatic update after putting back a clean backup, and let Live do it's indexing, today the places still spins.