Push 3 - USB C Power

Discuss Push with other users.
J0n35y

Re: Push 3 - USB C Power

Post by J0n35y » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:53 am

ensonador wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:37 pm
That is a bummer as I presume my M2 MBP will be the same. I suppose I could work around it by finding a decent (but small enough) power bank

Ybbes

Post by Ybbes » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:54 am

zenkick wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:26 pm
Ybbes wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:52 pm
This should be more than enough to power/charge the standalone Push?
It's pretty clear when you look at the power port on the back of the unit.

It notes: DC 20v / 3a

This means it will consume 60 watts of power.

Reference here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -power-FAQ
Yeah, you're right, didn't see that TBH.
Only saw the above post about 15W and hadn't seen that chart before.

Thanks!

Nickyjay

Post by Nickyjay » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:13 am

I have connected the Push 3 to this device.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PK1IIJY/ ... _item?th=1

The device is rated for 60W power with Power Delivery as recommended by Ableton as qouted here.

Qoute "Push (standalone)
Is USB-C PD (Power Delivery) supported?
Push can be charged via USB-C Power Delivery from a 60W (20V/3A) or greater USB-C power supply or docking station
"

Refrenced here
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... QEWBHHWGCZ

Unfortunatly its still no worky for me.

kreativsein

Post by kreativsein » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:26 pm

hi i use this one for usb-c wall plug powering
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0BGM7D4KT
and this one for portable usb-c power.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09VPHVT2Z
both is working fine.

and charging the powerbank with this wall plug is also very fast and "hot" :D

handed

Post by handed » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:44 am

Any news on this issue? For the first time today, I noticed that my Push 3 Standalone slowly drains battery and eventually shuts down when connected to my 2021 MacBook Pro 14 Inch M1 Max in controller mode with no power supply connected. When the battery is fully drained, the unit won't turn on for more than a second or two. I've tried using the included Ableton cable, as well as various other USB-C to USB-C cables that are rated for 65W+ of power. Are others having (or still having) the same issue with the standalone version in controller mode not providing enough power over USB-C?

handed

Post by handed » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:58 am

FYI Because it shows "N/A" for battery level when in controller mode, the easiest way to check if it's draining the battery when connected to a computer via USB-C only is by periodically switching to Standalone mode and checking the battery status. In my case, checking every ten minutes or so shows that it's defitely draining the battery, even in controller mode - and yes, it eventually shuts down completely.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:28 pm

handed wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:44 am
Any news on this issue? For the first time today, I noticed that my Push 3 Standalone slowly drains battery and eventually shuts down when connected to my 2021 MacBook Pro 14 Inch M1 Max in controller mode with no power supply connected. When the battery is fully drained, the unit won't turn on for more than a second or two. I've tried using the included Ableton cable, as well as various other USB-C to USB-C cables that are rated for 65W+ of power. Are others having (or still having) the same issue with the standalone version in controller mode not providing enough power over USB-C?
Yeah, it drains the battery when in Control mode with USB-C and no PSU, but it drains way slower than when running from the battery in Standalone. That's the normal behaviour.
Ableton Forum Moderator

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:39 pm

Finally received my replacement usb cable. It at least connects my Push to the laptop but I still can’t power the thing without it plugged into the wall. Finding it pretty frustrating to be honest.

If anyone is out there with a M2 MacBook Pro and you are able to power and use a Push 3 Controller with a usb cable only could you drop me a note please? I’m adamant it should work and starting to believe my Push is faulty. No need to share the USB power link, read it dozens of times!

lewisjenkins

Post by lewisjenkins » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:48 pm

J0n35y wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:39 pm
Finally received my replacement usb cable. It at least connects my Push to the laptop but I still can’t power the thing without it plugged into the wall. Finding it pretty frustrating to be honest.

If anyone is out there with a M2 MacBook Pro and you are able to power and use a Push 3 Controller with a usb cable only could you drop me a note please? I’m adamant it should work and starting to believe my Push is faulty. No need to share the USB power link, read it dozens of times!
The MacBook M1 / M2 Pro USB-C ports do not supply enough juice to power the Push 3 in Controller Mode.

I have a MacBook M1 Pro and a Push 3 Standalone which I mostly run in Controller Mode. I purchased one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SMQ28Q3? ... tails&th=1

I use the MacBook’s original 96w Power Supply and a single USB-C 100w cable to power both the MacBook and the Push 3 Standalone as required. Both devices have good batteries and there is never a time that both devices run out at the same time. Most of the time I’m using this cable to power the Push 3, unless the MacBook needs topping up (not very often).

This enables me to keep the Push 3’s USB-C port free to connect to the MacBook in Controller Mode, and also means that I don’t need to ever use the Push 3’s original power supply brick, which is very clunky. I don’t know why Ableton didn’t just put an extra USB-C port on the device for charging, rather than the DC power port, but the adapter above works very well so it’s not a problem.

I very much like using USB-C to charge as many devices in my home as possible, rather than having loads of different power supplies, and I’m looking forward to iPhones and AirPods finally coming with USB-C ports later this year.

Even if current MacBooks were capable of 15w powered USB-C ports, a Push 3 Standalone would still run in Controller Mode with a dimmed display and the battery would not charge, so it’s still a better option to just power the Push 3 properly. I recommend the USB-C adapter above but there are loads that do the same thing - just check they are capable of 20v/3a and use at least a 65w charger.

I hope this helps.

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:09 am

lewisjenkins wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:48 pm
J0n35y wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:39 pm

The MacBook M1 / M2 Pro USB-C ports do not supply enough juice to power the Push 3 in Controller Mode.

I have a MacBook M1 Pro and a Push 3 Standalone which I mostly run in Controller Mode. I purchased one of these:

I use the MacBook’s original 96w Power Supply and a single USB-C 100w cable to power both the MacBook and the Push 3 Standalone as required. Both devices have good batteries and there is never a time that both devices run out at the same time. Most of the time I’m using this cable to power the Push 3, unless the MacBook needs topping up (not very often).

This enables me to keep the Push 3’s USB-C port free to connect to the MacBook in Controller Mode, and also means that I don’t need to ever use the Push 3’s original power supply brick, which is very clunky. I don’t know why Ableton didn’t just put an extra USB-C port on the device for charging, rather than the DC power port, but the adapter above works very well so it’s not a problem.

I very much like using USB-C to charge as many devices in my home as possible, rather than having loads of different power supplies, and I’m looking forward to iPhones and AirPods finally coming with USB-C ports later this year.

Even if current MacBooks were capable of 15w powered USB-C ports, a Push 3 Standalone would still run in Controller Mode with a dimmed display and the battery would not charge, so it’s still a better option to just power the Push 3 properly. I recommend the USB-C adapter above but there are loads that do the same thing - just check they are capable of 20v/3a and use at least a 65w charger.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for that. Very disappointing to read though and suppose it is too much to hope that the P3 Controller will be different. If Ableton confirm then I think I might look to return my P3C and "upgrade" to a standalone model. Such a shame as per my understanding, TB4 ports should provide enough juice (up to the 15w needed if only using one port).

I too like using USB C for as much as possible. That alone would be enough for me to purchase new AirPods and the likes! Though I have been using MagSafe for charging since I got my new MBP.

lewisjenkins

Post by lewisjenkins » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:46 pm

Thanks for that. Very disappointing to read though and suppose it is too much to hope that the P3 Controller will be different. If Ableton confirm then I think I might look to return my P3C and "upgrade" to a standalone model. Such a shame as per my understanding, TB4 ports should provide enough juice (up to the 15w needed if only using one port).
I originally purchased the Standalone because I liked the idea of not being tethered to a laptop. However, within a couple of days of owning I quickly came to realise that I prefer controller mode because there are too many things "missing" from Standalone. That's not a criticism of Standalone - it is very much its own thing and a brilliant device - but for me I still like to be able to use my VST's, Arrangement View, easier piano roll editing etc.

So, I did consider returning the Standalone and switching to the Controller version. But I decided to keep the Standalone because 1) it has a battery which is still very useful in Controller Mode, meaning I don't need to keep it constantly powered (see my previous post) which is VERY handy, and 2) I will still use Standalone occasionally, eg. for Live Looping or just jamming while sat on the sofa, and I'm interested to see how Standalone continues to develop over the next few years.

So yeah, I would still definitely recommend the Standalone, even if you will be using Controller Mode 95% of the time.

bobbyduracel

Post by bobbyduracel » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:51 pm

TheLoudest wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:19 pm
bobbyduracel wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:55 pm
I am able to charge and run my Push3 in standalone via an apple TB3/USBC cable and an Anker 747 power block with zero issues, full brightness.
Cool !
What is the battery life with this configuration?
I have not tested this fully from powered to zero, TBH.

Still, if you look at the total estimated usage time of push from 100% to 0%, adding another hour or three will be a BIG chunk of time. Once my power brick charges up (in a couple of hrs) I’ll give it a go.

It’s the ankar elite III which has 25,600 or so mAh of power and a 65w port.
#livefullycharged

CH7

Post by CH7 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:40 am

I just got a 50,000mAh 'PowerADD Pro' from Amazon for a great price.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CHJV6B91? ... ct_details

This will deliver 65w as 20v 3.25A over PD USB-C. You can charge it with the same port from a compatible 65w laptop charger, or charge it via micro-USB via 18w charger eg 5v 2A, or 9v 2A, or 12v 1.5A

At 50,000 mAh it beats the rest for capacity, all the more so when you consider the Push 3 comes with 38,000 mAh battery and is rated for just over 2hrs.

I've tried plugging it into the Push USB-C port, and using that USB-C adaptor, mentioned earlier to plug it into the Push DC port. Works well in both cases.

Its relatively small 72mm square by 135mm and relatively light.

The only downside is it exceeds the present wattage capacity limits for taking on a plane. eg 27000mAh.

lmbauer2017

Post by lmbauer2017 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:52 pm

CH7 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:40 am
I just got a 50,000mAh 'PowerADD Pro' from Amazon for a great price.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CHJV6B91? ... ct_details

This will deliver 65w as 20v 3.25A over PD USB-C. You can charge it with the same port from a compatible 65w laptop charger, or charge it via micro-USB via 18w charger eg 5v 2A, or 9v 2A, or 12v 1.5A

At 50,000 mAh it beats the rest for capacity, all the more so when you consider the Push 3 comes with 38,000 mAh battery and is rated for just over 2hrs.

I've tried plugging it into the Push USB-C port, and using that USB-C adaptor, mentioned earlier to plug it into the Push DC port. Works well in both cases.

Its relatively small 72mm square by 135mm and relatively light.

The only downside is it exceeds the present wattage capacity limits for taking on a plane. eg 27000mAh.
Whoaaa THANK YOU for posting that little USB-C->DC adaptor! Good to know that's OK to use. I'm very unskilled with electricity, but do you think a 96W macbook power block could charge both at the same time using a powered hub? The main cable charges my macbook just fine. I'd plug in a USB-C cable from the PD-OUT to that usb/DC adaptor and into the Push. Would it be safe to do this you think? (i don't wanna damage the push from me doing something not knowing what i'm doing lol)

This is the hub I currently use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087Q ... =UTF8&th=1

EDIT: ughhhh my bad, I dug into the amazon Q&A and the USBC port does not supply power. My apologies for jumping the gun and posting before doing a little research!

ezilybored

Post by ezilybored » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:59 pm

Hi all.
I have a Push 3 controller and an M1 Pro MacBook Pro. Works fine just on a usb connection, no power supply.
Is this an outlier?