Re: Push 3 - USB C Power

Post by [jur] » Sat May 27, 2023 5:01 pm

J0n35y wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:40 pm
[jur] wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 1:13 pm
J0n35y wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:31 am
with reports of some dimming of screen/pads. Someone mentioned it not being as big a drop in brightness as you got with Push 1&2.
This is very surprising. The brightness should be exactly the same no matter if the unit is powered by the power adaptor or the battery.
Ah but I’m talking the controller version when on usb power only with no DC plugged in not standalone with its internal battery. I’m sure standalone will be fine
Ah ok, my bad!
Ableton Forum Moderator

grein

Post by grein » Sat May 27, 2023 5:58 pm

Just to chime in, my Push 3 controller is working fine powered with USB-C (M1 MacBook Pro, even if unplugged). I haven’t tried to use the power adapter yet, so can’t comment on screen brightness, but it seems fine.

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Sat May 27, 2023 6:05 pm

grein wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:58 pm
Just to chime in, my Push 3 controller is working fine powered with USB-C (M1 MacBook Pro, even if unplugged). I haven’t tried to use the power adapter yet, so can’t comment on screen brightness, but it seems fine.
Could you do me a favour and try with a few other cables please?

I have a M2 Pro and it just doesn’t work for me! I don’t think it’s simply a faulty Ableton cable though. Every other cable I have (including 100w cables) still need DC.

grein

Post by grein » Sat May 27, 2023 7:26 pm

J0n35y wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 6:05 pm
Could you do me a favour and try with a few other cables please?

I have a M2 Pro and it just doesn’t work for me! I don’t think it’s simply a faulty Ableton cable though. Every other cable I have (including 100w cables) still need DC.
Unfortunately I don’t have another one readily available at the moment. Maybe tomorrow I can try with my iPad cable. But are they even compatible? The Push‘s one looks like a tank, compared to the iPad cable :lol:

Wyrmberg

Post by Wyrmberg » Sat May 27, 2023 8:46 pm

When I connect my Standalone to a powerbank wie enough power, it even charges the battery.
It seems to ask for 65Watt and does not initiale if the pb isn’t delivering that. My Push was pulling 35Watt from the PB

Post by 102455 » Sun May 28, 2023 2:34 pm

Yes! My powerbank works too (Aohi Magcube P20).

Nickyjay

Post by Nickyjay » Tue May 30, 2023 11:18 am

I am also currently having issues with the push 3 not powering from USB C in both C in both Controler and Standalone modes. This via a direct connection to the USB C slot on my workstations motherboard trying both the supplied cable and a third party one. The USB-C Port on the computer works fine and powers and connects to other devices I plugin.

I have raised a support ticket with there service desk.

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Tue May 30, 2023 12:28 pm

Nickyjay wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:18 am
I am also currently having issues with the push 3 not powering from USB C in both C in both Controler and Standalone modes. This via a direct connection to the USB C slot on my workstations motherboard trying both the supplied cable and a third party one. The USB-C Port on the computer works fine and powers and connects to other devices I plugin.

Hopefully we hear back soon. I'm slightly concerned that it is more of a Push issue rather than Mac OS issue as I tried plugging into my work laptops USB C port and the same behaviour occurred there too. Laptop would recognise Push only if DC plugged in.

I'm sure there are a few kinks to iron out and fingers crossed it's not a hardware issue and I'm having to return and wait weeks for a replacement 8O

Nickyjay

Post by Nickyjay » Tue May 30, 2023 12:31 pm

I would also agree that it is a Push issue, as I am using using Windows 11 rather than Mac OS

dzyndzel

Post by dzyndzel » Tue May 30, 2023 7:40 pm

Reporting the same issue here as well. I don't think this is a Push 3 issue (hopefully) - I would lean more on a bad batch of USB-C cables. Upon initial unboxing, the supplied cable connected, albeit only in one direction (flipping it). USB power has not worked at all for me with any cable or power source (M1 MBP 14", M1 MBP 16", M1 Mac Mini, USB-C PD wall plugs, PD power banks etc). After about 3 hours of use, the supplied USB-C cable died completely. It is not recognized by Push 3 or any other device. I am working off a spare USB-C cable at the moment. Provided this video to support but was given an autogenerated response with troubleshooting steps already highlighted in the video:

https://youtu.be/Mz5OvhvS3SU

Nickyjay

Post by Nickyjay » Wed May 31, 2023 7:39 pm

It would be good if it was a usc-c cable issue only, however I have also tried other USB C cables that power other devices which have not worked, so for me I am leaning towards a a fault with the system.

I also got the same geniric copy/paste response from there support telling me to do the same things that I said I had done, I responded back 24 hrs ago and am awating there next set of instructions.

I do like the way the internet has made purchases a lot easier, but I do miss not being able to go into a shop to get after sales support or a replacement in instances like this.

Nickyjay

Post by Nickyjay » Wed May 31, 2023 7:45 pm

Love the bit at the end of your Vid, (And how about the USB power... nope!) :lol:

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed May 31, 2023 9:07 pm

Nickyjay wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:18 am

As I said earlier, this is a bug with the Standalone version used in controller mode where it apparently keeps on taking its juice from the battery rather than switching to the USB.
Ableton Forum Moderator

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:49 pm

So Ableton have responded and told me it is not possible to use a Push 3 with usb power only. It must always be plugged into the mains.

Could any of you with controller versions let me know if that’s true please? I seemed to get the impression that most people could power with usb…

randi

Post by randi » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:04 pm

J0n35y wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:49 pm
So Ableton have responded and told me it is not possible to use a Push 3 with usb power only. It must always be plugged into the mains.

Could any of you with controller versions let me know if that’s true please? I seemed to get the impression that most people could power with usb…
That would be quite bad. I do understand a higher power need and am not sure what the usual laptops can deliver (surely not PD with 65W that stand-alone needs), but either should be enough with USB3 to power when in controller mode or use the inbuilt battery 🔋
@[jur] you said this was a bug?

my stand-alone is arriving tomorrow