Push 3 OS

Discuss Push with other users.
hellnegative_

Push 3 OS

Post by hellnegative_ » Fri May 26, 2023 12:42 am

Anyone manage to clone it to a larger drive yet?

resequenced

Re: Push 3 OS

Post by resequenced » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:45 am

hellnegative_ wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:42 am
Anyone manage to clone it to a larger drive yet?
Disclaimer: I'm not associated with Ableton in any way.

My personal choice is to not open the hardware at all for now. These are early units from the first batch or the first batches. It's better to be able to return the unit unmodified if it bricks itself during an update or during regular use.

weston underwood

Post by weston underwood » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:44 pm

Normally yes but not maybe in a unit described as upgradable without specifying as far as I can see must be with official Ableton items.

However, I’m not taking mine apart yet either!

Post by 102455 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:42 pm

I've just ordered an external caddy that takes one of these drives, so once it arrives I'll whip out the drive and take it from there.

I did think before I bought the Push that the drive might be a bit small once I'd got everything loaded up, so I'd like to maybe stick a 1TB in there.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:04 pm

Just keep in mind swapping out the HD for one not purchased from Ableton (none for sale yet obviously) will void your warranty.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Post by 102455 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 pm

Ouch! So they make it user upgradeable - but only with their own upgrades.

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:27 pm

I guess the proof would be on Ableton -- especially if a warranty claim was made with the OG drive installed.

This is not uncommon.
Suite, Push 1, Push 2, Push Standalone

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:01 pm

102455 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 pm
They just want to make sure everything works as intended. If people start putting whatever they want in and it doesn't work, it just wastes a lot of time with support to figure out what's going on. This way they can vet supplies so you know things function as intended.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

cpelsor

Post by cpelsor » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:27 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:01 pm
102455 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 pm
They just want to make sure everything works as intended. If people start putting whatever they want in and it doesn't work, it just wastes a lot of time with support to figure out what's going on. This way they can vet supplies so you know things function as intended.
What if nothing is working as intended, and being able to have a disk image you could install on an SSD so that you could exclude it from the problems?

Sorry. I’m sitting here with a bricked P3 standalone and hardly any feedback from support. I’ve been in tech a long time and can do all this on my own, and know what to blame on the vendor and what to blame on myself. Would be nice to be able to try and fix it myself without having to deal with allllll of the hassles involved in shipping it back, paying duty again, going through the paperwork of reclaiming the previous duty, etc etc…

hellnegative_

Post by hellnegative_ » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:34 pm

If I was in your situation, I would’ve already popped that nvme out, popped it in an enclosure, and checked if it boots to terminal. The current two week backlog on support might have ya waiting forever.

cpelsor

Post by cpelsor » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:38 pm

hellnegative_ wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:34 pm
If I was in your situation, I would’ve already popped that nvme out, popped it in an enclosure, and checked if it boots to terminal. The current two week backlog on support might have ya waiting forever.
Thank you for thinking for me! Seriously, life on this end has been a bit hectic, and that’s actually a perfect way to at least see if that’s the problem! Thanks!

no_barcode

Post by no_barcode » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:41 am

In the US you can absolutely "break the seal" on this device and use whatever parts you want to repair or modify it. If your modifications or repairs break the device, the resulting damage will not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty; and if any other defects can be proven to be the result of your modifications or repairs, those will also not be covered. This is just how it works in the US. Period.

You do not automatically void your warranty by modifying or repairing a device you purchased, but the manufacturer is under no obligation to cover damages that are the result of your doing so.

The FTC sent out a letter to a bunch of computer manufacturers back in 2018 warning them to stop tying warranties to specific parts and/or services. So it would be in Ableton's best interest to stop stating that you must use their parts or waive your warranty coverage -- if this is in fact an official position of the company -- which I'm guessing it's not. At least not in the US.
M1 Max 64GB RAM 4TB SSD; Volt 1; Push 3 Standalone

radione

Post by radione » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:48 pm

These drives are standard enough that a few basic specs can eliminate performance expectation issues. Itching to upgrade the storage on this almost awesome standalone DAW and looking forward to an officially recommended method soon hopefully.