How to get rid of the "Live unexpectedly quit while... Would you like to recover your work?" message?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
llest

How to get rid of the "Live unexpectedly quit while... Would you like to recover your work?" message?

Post by llest » Fri May 26, 2023 11:55 am

Hi!

How to get rid of the "Live unexpectedly quit while... Would you like to recover your work?" message that appears after a computer crash? I'm using Live on a sound installation and the related project file is set to be the default project that opens when Ableton starts anyway. Currently, for example, if there are some power issues in the room, Ableton gets stuck at this message and doesn't load the related project.

Thanks!

Lauri

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: How to get rid of the "Live unexpectedly quit while... Would you like to recover your work?" message?

Post by [jur] » Fri May 26, 2023 2:21 pm

I don't think this is possible, sorry.
I see why it's a problem in your case, but it's crucial to the 99% other users.
Ableton Forum Moderator

llest

Re: How to get rid of the "Live unexpectedly quit while... Would you like to recover your work?" message?

Post by llest » Fri May 26, 2023 7:21 pm

[jur] wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 2:21 pm
I don't think this is possible, sorry.
I see why it's a problem in your case, but it's crucial to the 99% other users.
Yeah, but I guess a simple option in the Options.txt would be good...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat May 27, 2023 1:12 am

Unless someone comments with a trick here, try asking Support.
Ableton Forum Moderator

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat May 27, 2023 5:02 am

I might have a solution. Check my device ‘do not save’ on maxforlive.com. Basically the idea is to observe the dialog boxes, identify them, press the desired button automatically.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat May 27, 2023 6:09 am

i would suggest a UPS if you aren't using one already for your installation setup. in addition to that chapelier fou's Max thing or some other scripting / macro utility could be used to automatically respond to the dialog box...

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sat May 27, 2023 6:38 am

chapelier fou wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:02 am
I might have a solution. Check my device ‘do not save’ on maxforlive.com. Basically the idea is to observe the dialog boxes, identify them, press the desired button automatically.
The dialog in question is shown before Live has completed startup after a crash. At that point no set is loaded and thus no devices.

A line in options.txt might help. I found this old one, but I did not test if it still works. If it's not working, ask support for something similar.

Code: Select all

-SuppressStartUpMessages

llest

Post by llest » Sat May 27, 2023 7:04 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 6:09 am
i would suggest a UPS if you aren't using one already for your installation setup. in addition to that chapelier fou's Max thing or some other scripting / macro utility could be used to automatically respond to the dialog box...
Yes, I've considered using a UPS

llest

Post by llest » Sat May 27, 2023 7:13 am

Rivanni wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 6:38 am
chapelier fou wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:02 am
The dialog in question is shown before Live has completed startup after a crash. At that point no set is loaded and thus no devices.

A line in options.txt might help. I found this old one, but I did not test if it still works. If it's not working, ask support for something similar.

Code: Select all

-SuppressStartUpMessages
Thanks! Unfortunately this option doesn't seem to do that. But I created an Apple Automator workflow that opens the related Ableton project, closes that dialog box and opens some other related stuff.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat May 27, 2023 6:32 pm

Rivanni wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 6:38 am
I suspected that. Too bad.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

MichaelAbletonForum

Post by MichaelAbletonForum » Sun May 28, 2023 10:34 am

Start Ableton via a batch and delete the recover files bevor you start Ableton. There is a description available how to re trigger the recover when you select no. In that article there are the information of the files and folders.

llest

Post by llest » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:13 pm

I got a reply from Ableton's support:
As for only relaunching Live, these are the Options that would be available and lead to a fast start without prompts a start-up:

-SuppressStartUpMessages
-NoRestoreDocumentDialog
-ReCreateHistory
-MemoryBasedUndo
-DisableAutoBugReporting
-_DontUseKeyChain
So, the -NoRestoreDocumentDialog option is exactly what I needed and -DisableAutoBugReporting is helpful in my case as well.

Greetings!

Lauri

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:47 pm

Thanks for sharing those!
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

othernode

Post by othernode » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:30 pm

llest wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:13 pm
I got a reply from Ableton's support:
As for only relaunching Live, these are the Options that would be available and lead to a fast start without prompts a start-up:

-SuppressStartUpMessages
-NoRestoreDocumentDialog
-ReCreateHistory
-MemoryBasedUndo
-DisableAutoBugReporting
-_DontUseKeyChain
So, the -NoRestoreDocumentDialog option is exactly what I needed and -DisableAutoBugReporting is helpful in my case as well.

Greetings!

Lauri
Hi, I am also trying to do this.

Where should I put these entries?

Thanks!