Push 3 ADAT I/O recommendations?

Discuss Push with other users.
jack.lion

Re: Push 3 ADAT I/O recommendations?

Post by jack.lion » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:09 am

Hi! Does anyone know what the ADAT expander in the push video was? I already have a scarlet octopre installed into a chasis with my apollo so needless to say that expander is married to my interface. I think the one in the push 3 video was by RME, just couldn't be sure which model it was from the top view. As much as I would love to get another octopre there's just no more room in my studio. a small tabletop solution would be ideal for some of us! :D

rrkl_lrkr

Post by rrkl_lrkr » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:40 pm

Why a clarett+ octapre over the clarett + 8pre? 8pre seems more functional for my personal situation, but curious what others are thinking.

hellnegative_

Post by hellnegative_ » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:59 pm

rrkl_lrkr wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:40 pm
Why a clarett+ octapre over the clarett + 8pre? 8pre seems more functional for my personal situation, but curious what others are thinking.

I'd go with the 8pre. Only an extra hundred and you get both inputs and outputs.

joelistics

Post by joelistics » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:05 am

Is anyone experiencing pops and clicks with their interfaces?
I'm running a Focusrite Clarett 8pre and I can route the audio via ADAT but I get the dreaded pops and clicks which sound cyclical not based around the envelope of the audio.

randi

Post by randi » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:14 am

joelistics wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:05 am
I'm running a Focusrite Clarett 8pre and I can route the audio via ADAT but I get the dreaded pops and clicks which sound cyclical not based around the envelope of the audio.
Sounds like a clocking issue. Are you sure that you selected the correct settings for master/slave on Push and the Clarett?
(I am sorry for using those words, I forget the new/less offensive ones again (non native speaker))

joelistics

Post by joelistics » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:18 am

Is there a way to select it on the Push unit? I couldn't find it. When I opened the software for the Focusrite I had it on 'internal' which seemed to be the only way to let audio pass through

randi

Post by randi » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:48 am

I currently haven't hooked up my P3S to an adat interface, so don't know how to switch on Push, but try setting the clarett to slave/external (and of course the device that's master need to SEND the clock over adat cable to the receiving device, so best to hook up in and out with their respective counterparts on the other device)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:01 am

I've seen some ridiculously cheap RME Fireface 400's on ebay. RME still write drivers for this, including for Apple Silicon. Thunderbolt on macs is a $30 firewire converter. This gives you everything you would want out of the ADATs on Push 3. Oh and you can set the routing for the FF400 and 800 so that it works standalone along with Push 3 standalone. :)

elbows

Post by elbows » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:05 am

joelistics wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:18 am
Is there a way to select it on the Push unit? I couldn't find it. When I opened the software for the Focusrite I had it on 'internal' which seemed to be the only way to let audio pass through
Because there currently appears to be no way to set the Push 3 standalone to let the other device be in charge of the clock, you need to set your audio interface to use the Push 3 as the clock source. On focusrite this requires you to set the clock source to be ADAT.

hellnegative_

Post by hellnegative_ » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:24 pm

Digimax tested and working.

hellnegative_

Post by hellnegative_ » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:28 pm

joelistics wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:05 am
Make sure you have a toslink cable connecting the push and 8pre in both directions.
In Focusrite control, tap on the settings icon.
Tap the drop-down on internal to select adat.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:20 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:01 am
I've seen some ridiculously cheap RME Fireface 400's on ebay. RME still write drivers for this, including for Apple Silicon. Thunderbolt on macs is a $30 firewire converter. This gives you everything you would want out of the ADATs on Push 3. Oh and you can set the routing for the FF400 and 800 so that it works standalone along with Push 3 standalone. :)
I'm trying to connect my FF802 to my P3 (Tethered), to expand the number of inputs but I can't get it working.
Can you help me getting this right please ?
What are the routing settings supposed to be?
If you have a screenshot of the TotalMix matrix, that would be great !

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:06 pm

peeddrroo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:20 pm
Machinesworking wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:01 am
I'm trying to connect my FF802 to my P3 (Tethered), to expand the number of inputs but I can't get it working.
Can you help me getting this right please ?
What are the routing settings supposed to be?
If you have a screenshot of the TotalMix matrix, that would be great !
A couple things, IMO the issue with setting up anything with ADAT and TotalMix is that the channels assign to other channels depending on the interfaces used. In the case of Push 3, (which I do not own so there's that limitation), it if I recall correctly starts around ADAT channel 10, you can look this up but for some reason they did this, so on the Fireface you're looking at the 9nth channel they publish as a starting point.

My setup is a Fireface 800 ADAT streamed to a Babyface Pro FS and everything is off because I'm accessing various preamps on the front of the FF800 and the SPDIF and the regular line input/outputs. So my setup would be different than the 802. But the big thing I'm betting you're missing is that the Push3 publishes ADAT afterthe first 8, I distinctly remember reading that and thinking that will mess some people up.

Since you're using it tethered you can jump back and forth between them as audio interfaces for the computer and see where they publish various inputs and outputs, then you can set the internal standalone configuration in Total Mix for the Fireface to use it as hardware for the Push 3 via ADAT. You just need I would bet, to know where the channels are being published both in and out. I made a spreadsheet when I did it, because it gets slightly messy.

burbus

Post by burbus » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:56 pm

TheEntireRobot wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 12:43 pm

What other options are out there?
Would love for teenage engineering TX-6 to work, but don't think it has adat capabilities

burbus

Post by burbus » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:55 pm

procyborg wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:55 pm
knarrrz wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:17 am
procyborg wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:54 am

that was exactly my point above. i don't think it will work. I also was about to buy an evo16, but i think, as it is just an interface, it will not work as an adat expansion. it's adat ports ar there "to be expanded" through something like the EVO SP8. i may be wrong, but i think it works like this. Also, the release of a SP8, would not have any sense if there is already the evo16 which could do the same stuff.
I don't own an EVO interface yet, so I can't really tell how to make it work. But I think, procyborg is right, you'd have to go for the SP8 in a standalone setup. It may eventually work with the EVO16 too, but I guess it must be connected to a computer then and you would have to make some corresponding settings.
look at this:
https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/ar ... -Operation
EVO 16 should work ha? Anyone available to confirm?