Push 3 ADAT I/O recommendations?

Discuss Push with other users.
Krupa

Re: Push 3 ADAT I/O recommendations?

Post by Krupa » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:58 am

Has anyone had any luck with a Behringer umc1820? I’ve been able to get it going with Ableton through the Mac, but I really want to use it standalone with my iPad. I’ve had limited success connecting from AUM, but it seems to lose clock sync or something as is either really quiet or becomes digitally distorted through the ADATs into the Push… for me this would be the ideal setup, a decent I/O plus routing through AUM and iPad effects/synths/generators etc but I’m wondering if I’ve either bought the wrong device, or just got a faulty unit, maybe even cables?

burbus

Post by burbus » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:59 pm

just got my EVO SP8 and hooked up with the PS3 with two ADAT toslink cables, and it works great.
I created a template that has all the routings ready for some standalone magic.

Arpanet1969

Post by Arpanet1969 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:32 pm

burbus wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:59 pm
just got my EVO SP8 and hooked up with the PS3 with two ADAT toslink cables, and it works great.
Is the SP8 still working good for you? I don't have any experience with adat interfaces, is the setup pretty easy, no having to mess with offsetting the inputs or anything? Thanks for any info

burbus

Post by burbus » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:00 am

Mostly happy with the SP8 and PS3 workflow, although run into some clocking issues when trying to do some “advanced” things , like setting SP8 as the source clock vs the PS3 and switching sample rates while also connecting one of the ADAT outputs from PS3 to my Apollo Twin X. A factory reset of SP8 fixed some weird things going, and wouldn’t be surprised that there are some ADAT/clock bugs in the background with PS3 creating issues. But when doing a simple connection between PS3 and SP8 (using two ADAT cables and setting the PS3 as source), things were working fine. I created a template on my PS3 that has all my routing with SP8 pre defined, and SP8 really is a ‘dumb box’ with minimal settings needed.

I am newish to ADAT myself, but overall very impressed with SP8. Super simple to use and i love the relatively compact size for amount of inputs. I love having my instruments plugged in and ready to go with my PS3 with no computer.
Arpanet1969 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:32 pm
burbus wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:59 pm
Is the SP8 still working good for you? I don't have any experience with adat interfaces, is the setup pretty easy, no having to mess with offsetting the inputs or anything? Thanks for any info

Arpanet1969

Post by Arpanet1969 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:03 pm

burbus wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:00 am
Mostly happy with the SP8 and PS3 workflow, although run into some clocking issues when trying to do some “advanced” things , like setting SP8 as the source clock vs the PS3 and switching sample rates while also connecting one of the ADAT outputs from PS3 to my Apollo Twin X. A factory reset of SP8 fixed some weird things going, and wouldn’t be surprised that there are some ADAT/clock bugs in the background with PS3 creating issues. But when doing a simple connection between PS3 and SP8 (using two ADAT cables and setting the PS3 as source), things were working fine. I created a template on my PS3 that has all my routing with SP8 pre defined, and SP8 really is a ‘dumb box’ with minimal settings needed.

I am newish to ADAT myself, but overall very impressed with SP8. Super simple to use and i love the relatively compact size for amount of inputs. I love having my instruments plugged in and ready to go with my PS3 with no computer.
Ok thank you for that info, its very helpful.

drez

Post by drez » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:41 pm

burbus wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:00 am

I think the sync issue might be fixed in the new beta? https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-11-beta/
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

wishyoudefeat

Post by wishyoudefeat » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:58 am

jiggle wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 4:50 am
Im using standalone with a behringer 8200, it works really well.
It took me a little while to suss out how to change the master output to the 8200 outs, it looked like it had to be used with the internal audio outs but luckily you can change it.

If you use an adat interface for master out make sure you turn the volume level down before hitting a pad :)
I'm struggling to find how to change the output on push to my adat 8200, what was the trick?

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:09 pm

wishyoudefeat wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:58 am
I'm struggling to find how to change the output on push to my adat 8200, what was the trick?

Plug your 8200 Optical Out into your Push 3 In (and In to Out if you have 2 cables)
Switch 8200 to 44.1 Master or 48 Master depending what sample rate you want.

If you are in controller mode:

Switch on Push3, start Ableton on your computer.
Go to Options|Preferences
Choose Driver Type: ASIO
Choose Audio Device: Ableton Push
Click Input Config

In the Input Config window you can select outputs 9-16 by clicking the buttons and giving them friendly names so for example 15 & 16 would be ADAT7 and ADAT8
Click OK and then you should see the friendly names in the Input Channel dropdown of an Audio Track

In standalone mode:

Press the Setup button ('cog' top left) and set the sample rate to match (I think this may just be for inputs 1&2 of the Push 3, not sure)
Select an Audio track
Double press the 'mix' button
Use the fourth encoder and use:
9/10 for ADAT inputs 1&2 as stereo
11/12 for ADAT inputs 3&4 as stereo
13/14 for ADAT inputs 5&6 as stereo
15/16 for ADAT inputs 7&8 as stereo
or just the individual numbers 9 through 16 to get ADAT 1 through 8 mono.
You can choose Input/Output and monitoring here also. Obviously set Input type to Ext In

Hope that helps

elbows

Post by elbows » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:49 am

wishyoudefeat wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:58 am
Press the small button with the line at the top (the next button along from all the buttons that are directly below the screen).

Then press the mix button. Press the 2nd button above the screen to select 'Input and Output'. Use the first encoder to change the Master out to something like 9/10 (9/10 is the first two ADAT output channels).

Post by 102455 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:21 pm

Ordered myself a MOTU UltraLite mk5 yesterday, and it arrived earlier today.

So far so good, although I couldn't register it as their confirmation email never arrived.

Bought a couple of Toslink cables from Amazon for £6 each, then minutes later found some on another site for £1.50 each :roll:

keengently

Post by keengently » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:40 pm

Do you guys experience issues when powering the devices in different sequences?
I had a problem with the audio not being played at all and it seems like it had to do with turing on the Ultragain after I turned on Push and Ableton

JamesRussller

Post by JamesRussller » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:15 am

I picked up an older firewire Fireface 400 for cheap and it's running ADAT to my analogue desk like a dream.

procyborg

Post by procyborg » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:56 pm

JamesRussller wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:15 am
I picked up an older firewire Fireface 400 for cheap and it's running ADAT to my analogue desk like a dream.
cool!
Didn't you need a firewire connection to configure the routing - at least once (adat<-->analog) ?
thnx

kawptaer

Push 3 with Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre

Post by kawptaer » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:29 am

I can't connect my ADAT Interface (Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre) to my Push 3 since I am new to the ADAT technology.

Do you know any basic tutorials that tell you how to set up your Audio Interface to connect to your Push 3?
After I connected my Push to the Focusrite (In in Out and Out to In), in the Push I/O, the Ins 3 to 8 vanished and could not be selected. I set the sample rate to match the Interface.
But I guess, I have to make another configuration in the Focusrite Control?

Thanks a lot in advance for answering!
Greetings,
Tim

Post by 102455 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:53 am

> the Ins 3 to 8 vanished

There are no ins 3 to 8!

I don't understand why, but the ins on the Push 3 are 1/2, then the ADAT ins start from 9...

The outputs on the other hand don't skip any numbers, but the ADAT outs still start at 9.