Push 3 ADAT I/O recommendations?

Discuss Push with other users.
Cloth Ears

Re: Push 3 ADAT I/O recommendations?

Post by Cloth Ears » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:16 pm

randi wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:52 pm
wrt Volume: with all the AD/DA converters I used, you have to set the volume ON the converter.
the rest might be a clocking thing, try additionally connecting adat out of Push to adat in of the ada8200
I only have one toslink cable, so I swapped in/outs to output to the ADA8200 and the volumes are greyed out in the output section of the Ableton Push Control panel.

Do you see the volumes greyed out in the input part of the Ableton Push Control panel?

randi

Post by randi » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:21 pm

Cloth Ears wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:16 pm
randi wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:52 pm
wrt Volume: with all the AD/DA converters I used, you have to set the volume ON the converter.
the rest might be a clocking thing, try additionally connecting adat out of Push to adat in of the ada8200
I only have one toslink cable, so I swapped in/outs to output to the ADA8200 and the volumes are greyed out in the output section of the Ableton Push Control panel.

Do you see the volumes greyed out in the input part of the Ableton Push Control panel?
mine arrives tomorrow ;-)
Did you change the ADA from master to slave?

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:43 pm

No, unless I get another toslink, I cannot slave it, but I dont need the outs yet. Maybe ill get one anyway, only a coupla quid.

Let me know your experience with the Ableton Push Control Panel, and can you use a mic over ADAT in a windows app other than ableton (or mac if thats what you have).

sinik

Post by sinik » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:45 pm

i would take a look at the MOTU UltraLite MK5.

fairly new and great specs all over, converters are really nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURGRYPs7QY

hellnegative_

Post by hellnegative_ » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:02 pm

I demoed one (Motu Ultralite MK5) but had some really bad noise issues. Even with ac power connected and using a high quality usb c cable, there was still feedback noise across all line level inputs.

sinik

Post by sinik » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:24 pm

must have been a faulty unit then.
according to the video, it has best in class noise level performance.

i've used it at my friends studio and was impressed.

otherwise, i would go for the Clarett+ OctoPre from focusrite. it's a dedicated ADAT interface with nice converters.

procyborg

Post by procyborg » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:41 pm

sinik wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:45 pm
i would take a look at the MOTU UltraLite MK5.

fairly new and great specs all over, converters are really nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURGRYPs7QY
yea but in that case i have a question: the Ultralite mk5 is an audio interface. Are we sure that it will work as "standalone" adat expander without using the usb port? I know from many interfaces that do not allow this. For example the cheap Berhinger UMC1820. If it would be the case that many interfaces with adat could work, then the market for cheap and small ADAT expanders could be a lot bigger than we think and we could look into older, used interfaces (maybe even firewire ones, where the routing is saved on the interface, once done in the software) or even in something small like the first audiofuse from arturia, no? is my thought process faulty ?

sinik

Post by sinik » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:40 pm

good point. as i plan to add a ultralite mk5 for ADAT expansion, i will ask MOTU about this.

PS. i use the ARTURIA 8Pre as an ADAT expansion through my Motu 828es and it works great.
sad thing, that both of those interfaces arent available anytime soon, because of chip shortages or something like that.

procyborg

Post by procyborg » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:49 pm

right, but the arturia 8pre IS an actual "adat expander". The quesion is: can arturia's (or other brands) INTERFACES also do the same thing - for examle, in case of arturia, after configuring the routing in their audiofuse-control center software.

adrien.doerig

Post by adrien.doerig » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:42 am

knarrrz wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:04 pm
The Audient EVO SP8 also seems to be a pretty decent option. It's a desktop unit, less than rack size and even a little bit smaller than the Push.
Oh I have an evo16 and I'm struggling to get it to work (never used ADAT before) - could you help me figure out how to make it work? How did you set it up? Thanks!

procyborg

Post by procyborg » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:54 am

adrien.doerig wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:42 am
knarrrz wrote:
The Audient EVO SP8 also seems to be a pretty decent option. It's a desktop unit, less than rack size and even a little bit smaller than the Push.
Oh I have an evo16 and I'm struggling to get it to work (never used ADAT before) - could you help me figure out how to make it work? How did you set it up? Thanks!
that was exactly my point above. i don't think it will work. I also was about to buy an evo16, but i think, as it is just an interface, it will not work as an adat expansion. it's adat ports ar there "to be expanded" through something like the EVO SP8. i may be wrong, but i think it works like this. Also, the release of a SP8, would not have any sense if there is already the evo16 which could do the same stuff.

knarrrz

Post by knarrrz » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:17 am

procyborg wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:54 am
adrien.doerig wrote:
knarrrz wrote:
that was exactly my point above. i don't think it will work. I also was about to buy an evo16, but i think, as it is just an interface, it will not work as an adat expansion. it's adat ports ar there "to be expanded" through something like the EVO SP8. i may be wrong, but i think it works like this. Also, the release of a SP8, would not have any sense if there is already the evo16 which could do the same stuff.
I don't own an EVO interface yet, so I can't really tell how to make it work. But I think, procyborg is right, you'd have to go for the SP8 in a standalone setup. It may eventually work with the EVO16 too, but I guess it must be connected to a computer then and you would have to make some corresponding settings.

adrien.doerig

Post by adrien.doerig » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:55 am

Ah I see. Damn, that's too bad. Thanks for helping me out!

adrien.doerig

Post by adrien.doerig » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:10 am

knarrrz wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:17 am
procyborg wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:54 am
adrien.doerig wrote:

I don't own an EVO interface yet, so I can't really tell how to make it work. But I think, procyborg is right, you'd have to go for the SP8 in a standalone setup. It may eventually work with the EVO16 too, but I guess it must be connected to a computer then and you would have to make some corresponding settings.
Actually, I found this: https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/ar ... he-EVO-16-

To my understanding, it means that EVO16 can work, although maybe only when connected to a computer. I couldn't get it to work, but that's probably due to my incompetence rather than to the EVO16 itself.

procyborg

Post by procyborg » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:56 pm

the question is, i think, if certain interfaces are capable of storing / retaining the routing settings (which in some cases can be made in their respective software while connected to a pc), also when powered off and back on and while disconnected from a pc.