Push 3 ADAT I/O recommendations?

Discuss Push with other users.
TheEntireRobot

Push 3 ADAT I/O recommendations?

Post by TheEntireRobot » Sat May 27, 2023 12:43 pm

What are people using for ADAT I/O for their Push 3? I've done some searching for and have found a handful of affordable-ish 1U 8-channel mic preamps/line inputs with 8 line outputs:

* Behringer ADA8200 ($229)
* Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre ($499)
* Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre Dynamic ($699)
* Focusrite Clarett+ OctoPre ($799)

And also this eurorack module:
* Boredbrain optx 8x8 ADAT module ($329)

But I generally don't need more than 1-2 mic preamps, and I'd love something a bit smaller than a 1U rack for portability. And I want line-level analog I/O, not eurorack level.

What other options are out there?

jiggle

Re: Push 3 ADAT I/O recommendations?

Post by jiggle » Sun May 28, 2023 4:50 am

Im using standalone with a behringer 8200, it works really well.
It took me a little while to suss out how to change the master output to the 8200 outs, it looked like it had to be used with the internal audio outs but luckily you can change it.

If you use an adat interface for master out make sure you turn the volume level down before hitting a pad :)

benr

Post by benr » Sun May 28, 2023 8:00 am

I have the Octopre Dynamic, and have found it to be reliable and clean. But yeah, it’s a full rack unit.

I also have the Boredbrain, and it’s rather noisy. Boredbrain admit this is as designed (it’s pretty cheap).

I want the same: eight channels of line level I/O in a smaller unit.

Personally I’ve been rooting for Ferrofish to make a half-rack version of their Pulse 16, presumably to be called the Pulse 8…? I would encourage anyone reading this to contact them (as I have) and make the request.

Who knows, there might be enough Push 3 users to persuade them it’s worth doing.

Post by 102455 » Sun May 28, 2023 2:19 pm

Maybe someone could design a case/stand that would hold a 19" rack I/O with a Push on top?

The rack unit ears are 19" but the bodies are typically 17" wide, so the Push at 15" would sit nicely on top. The only issue is the depth.

Something to slide the ADAT I/O into, then maybe have a slight tilt for the Push on top.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon May 29, 2023 7:38 pm

TheEntireRobot wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 12:43 pm
What are people using for ADAT I/O for their Push 3? I've done some searching for and have found a handful of affordable-ish 1U 8-channel mic preamps/line inputs with 8 line outputs:

* Behringer ADA8200 ($229)
* Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre ($499)
* Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre Dynamic ($699)
* Focusrite Clarett+ OctoPre ($799)

And also this eurorack module:
* Boredbrain optx 8x8 ADAT module ($329)

But I generally don't need more than 1-2 mic preamps, and I'd love something a bit smaller than a 1U rack for portability. And I want line-level analog I/O, not eurorack level.

What other options are out there?
I use a Clarett OctoPre.

Great sound, especially the hiz inputs for guitars. Air mode puts life into any dark mic.

Biggest drawback is that I think it is more geared for drum recording than voice (in particular using dynamics like shure sm7b for vocals) as you don't get alot of level even with max setting.

That said for condensers (what most use for vocals work great).

Line io works as expected..

Other gripe I'd the Outputs require an Elco cable. So if you want headphone mixes and stuff, you will need that which probably would be a pain for live use but I don't know.

knarrrz

Post by knarrrz » Mon May 29, 2023 10:04 pm

The Audient EVO SP8 also seems to be a pretty decent option. It's a desktop unit, less than rack size and even a little bit smaller than the Push.

VtruV

Post by VtruV » Wed May 31, 2023 1:08 pm

I used ADAT out to the in of my Apollo Twin X. I'll have to save it as a template since you have to adjust the routing on all of your tracks but I love the ability to do the audio conversion on my Apollo.

radiocomets

Post by radiocomets » Wed May 31, 2023 3:08 pm

I have an Apollo x4 and hoping to pick up a Push 3 again when they are back in stock. I was hoping to do the same thing. In your set-up, you can now use 4 inputs right? 2 from the apollo and 2 from the Push?

Can you say a little more about how it affects the routing? Trying to figure out all the logistics well ahead of time but so glad it works!

machinegoesboop

Post by machinegoesboop » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:00 am

I managed to get the Scarlett 18i20 working as an ADAT slave. But only in 48khz (by setting the Push to that)

Has anyone managed to get 96khz working (and in turn only using 4 connections)?

Cannot seem to get any audio through like that.

bobbyduracel

Post by bobbyduracel » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:13 am

machinegoesboop wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:00 am
I managed to get the Scarlett 18i20 working as an ADAT slave. But only in 48khz (by setting the Push to that)

I have an 18i20 and I would love to know how you set this up. My p3 is installing packs as we speak. I was thinking about getting the focusrite adat expander, but if it is not required - WIN
#livefullycharged

hellnegative_

Post by hellnegative_ » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:31 am

machinegoesboop wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:00 am

This is a limitation of the focusrite adat. 1-2 tracks at 192kHz, 1-4 tracks at 96kHz, and 1-8 tracks at 48kHz. The Octopre, for example, has 2 toslink ports for in and 2 toslink ports for out to allow sending/receiving 8 tracks at 96kHz.

MichaelAbletonForum

Post by MichaelAbletonForum » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:03 pm

One question? How the sync works without BNC? Clock?

I’ve worked a lot with Adat XT Tapes and the Fovusrite and Steinberg interfaces, and I have always to use the wordClick BNC with correct termination to have audio without pops or cracks.

Has anybody a working setup? Is live 3 always the slave?

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:14 pm

I am wandering if anyone using ADAT with the Push 3 in control mode, is seeing the inputs greyed out in the 'Ableton Push Control Panel'.

I got a Behringer ADA8200 today, plugged its ADAT out to the Push 3 ADAT in. Switched the ADA8200 to Master44.1 and then enabled some plugged in mics on channels 15&16 (7&8 on the ADA8200) with phantom power on and the gain up.

With this I can record into Ableton OK, however I do not see any volume controls enabled in the 'Ableton Push Control Panel'.

Furthermore, while I can see in the Windows Sound Settings, the 'Push 3 In' peaking as I tap the mic, I do not hear anything when trying to use it in Discord or Skype.

What are other users experiencing with regards to this?

randi

Post by randi » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:45 pm

MichaelAbletonForum wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:03 pm
One question? How the sync works without BNC? Clock?

I’ve worked a lot with Adat XT Tapes and the Fovusrite and Steinberg interfaces, and I have always to use the wordClick BNC with correct termination to have audio without pops or cracks.

Has anybody a working setup? Is live 3 always the slave?
Adat can do clocking on the same cable, that's what is used here

randi

Post by randi » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:52 pm

Cloth Ears wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:14 pm
I am wandering if anyone using ADAT with the Push 3 in control mode, is seeing the inputs greyed out in the 'Ableton Push Control Panel'.

I got a Behringer ADA8200 today, plugged its ADAT out to the Push 3 ADAT in. Switched the ADA8200 to Master44.1 and then enabled some plugged in mics on channels 15&16 (7&8 on the ADA8200) with phantom power on and the gain up.

With this I can record into Ableton OK, however I do not see any volume controls enabled in the 'Ableton Push Control Panel'.

Furthermore, while I can see in the Windows Sound Settings, the 'Push 3 In' peaking as I tap the mic, I do not hear anything when trying to use it in Discord or Skype.

What are other users experiencing with regards to this?
wrt Volume: with all the AD/DA converters I used, you have to set the volume ON the converter.
the rest might be a clocking thing, try additionally connecting adat out of Push to adat in of the ada8200