Standalone Push 3 booted up in Controller mode - Defective Unit

Discuss Push with other users.
danieljodeci

Standalone Push 3 booted up in Controller mode - Defective Unit

Post by danieljodeci » Sun May 28, 2023 12:21 am

Hi all, wondering if anybody has experienced this same issue. Apologies if this has been asked already.

My standalone Push 3 just arrived today. After plugging in the power supply, I booted up the device and was greeted with the Push logo on the display. After waiting for a few minutes, nothing occurred. My first suspicion was that maybe the device booted in controller mode, but I thought that would be strange considering the manual states that it should boot in standalone mode on initial boot.

After connecting to my computer via usb-c and opening Ableton, voila, the device boots and displays itself as being in controller mode. A bit concerning knowing that I purchased a standalone device. Even more concerning is that my Settings page does not show the SSD storage nor the Wi-Fi or Software tabs.

Now I'm thinking I've been sent a non-standalone device by accident, so I figured let me try to power off the device and power on without the power adapter plugged in, and oddly enough it powers on fine, though still stuck with the Push logo on the display. So I believe this is a standalone device considering it contains a battery, but maybe the software has been set as a non-standalone device? Just my luck...

Has anybody else experienced this? Any solutions? Figure maybe a firmware update/configuration change may do the trick. At least I hope...
Last edited by danieljodeci on Tue May 30, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Re: Standalone Push 3 booted up in Controller mode

Post by Tarekith » Sun May 28, 2023 1:09 am

Given how few people have Push 3 right now, you might want to contact support for help as well:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/#contact-support
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

danieljodeci

Post by danieljodeci » Sun May 28, 2023 1:15 am

Thanks, I submitted a ticket already, just thought I try to raise the issue here in case anybody else had also experienced the same. I will update here if whenever I get this resolved.

jiggle

Post by jiggle » Sun May 28, 2023 4:40 am

My push arrived on Friday (delivery was very fast), I had weird issues when i booted mine up.
It started in standalone, but rather than getting the intro I got the message about push crashing during the last project :)
I hit yes to reload and it just loaded an empty project. I went on to set it up, the wifi didnt want to connect for the few tries but then it worked.
i went and updated the software, it took a while, not long, but then got stuck on rebooting, it just stopped.

I held the power down and it let me turn off, when i turned it back on it said it was updating, then it restarted again, still updating.
After a few restarts it was up and running. I did wonder if it was faulty at first.

My experience was nothing like the instructions :)
My push is all working great now and I love the thing.

Did you try pressing a button or 2 when the push logo was showing? I think mine looked stuck until I hit a button.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun May 28, 2023 6:56 am

danieljodeci wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:15 am
Thanks, I submitted a ticket already, just thought I try to raise the issue here in case anybody else had also experienced the same. I will update here if whenever I get this resolved.
Boot the machine by holding the User button + pressing the on/off button.
You'll see options, one would be start Standalone.
Does it work?
Ableton Forum Moderator

danieljodeci

Post by danieljodeci » Sun May 28, 2023 2:31 pm

Well glad I’m not the only one who experienced some strange issues at boot. I did try pressing a few buttons at boot and did not get any response. Another weird behavior I noticed is that i can not switch into standalone mode from the Settings menu. I see the option too, but when confirming to switch into standalone nothing occurs. It just navigates back to the settings page.

Another concerning issue is that none of my knobs above the display are responsive. I can’t modify any of the Audio, MIDI or parameters of a Live Set loaded on my computer. I confirmed I’m running 11.3.2.

Thanks for chiming in, this has been a horrible experience as you can imagine.

danieljodeci

Post by danieljodeci » Sun May 28, 2023 2:39 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 6:56 am
danieljodeci wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:15 am
Boot the machine by holding the User button + pressing the on/off button.
You'll see options, one would be start Standalone.
Does it work?
Oh wow this is what I was looking for. So holding down the User button and pressing Power On does show a "Select an option" menu, and I can see Show Battery in the top right, Power Off top left, Start Standalone bottom left, Control Live with Push via USB-C bottom center, and Start Push in recovery mode bottom right. I'm assuming I should be pressing the buttons located either above or below where these options are positioned, though attempting to press the bottom row left most button to trigger "Start Standalone" does nothing. It is just stuck on this same screen. Am correct in assuming how I should be selecting this option?

danieljodeci

Post by danieljodeci » Sun May 28, 2023 3:03 pm

Yeah was able to initiate a reboot in recovery mode, but attempting to boot up in Standalone yields nothing. The display still shows the options and the LEDs on the button options turn off. :(

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun May 28, 2023 3:28 pm

Well, this is definitely not working as expected.
Sounds like there's an issue with your unit. Please contact Support.
Ableton Forum Moderator

danieljodeci

Post by danieljodeci » Tue May 30, 2023 3:06 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:28 pm
Well, this is definitely not working as expected.
Sounds like there's an issue with your unit. Please contact Support.
How long does it usually take for Support to respond? I submitted my issue on the 28th, the day my unit arrived, and I have yet to hear back. Is support based in Germany, or is there a US support team? My unit has simply not been operable since the moment it arrived, which you can imagine is a bit frustrating considering the price point this unit is at.

Video of the issue: https://twitter.com/danieljodeci/status ... 8391948288
Last edited by danieljodeci on Tue May 30, 2023 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Re: Standalone Push 3 booted up in Controller mode - Defective Unit

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 30, 2023 3:15 pm

Sometimes it can take a few days, especially now with a new product launch. Patience, they’ll get to your request as soon as they can.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

ALX-106

Post by ALX-106 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:45 pm

I am in the same boat. My first boot crashed and didn't go into the intro session. It then booted and seemed okay, but I had some weird bugs with clip launch buttons where it looked like two or more scenes were playing at once but all sounded fine. I was able to authorize it and get a session from my laptop on it. The next day, it wouldn't boot, it would just sit on the logo forever if I let it. I contacted support with a video and a detailed report and got a generic message back asking for a crash report. However, I cannot retrieve a crash report because the unit will not boot in standalone, and wont connect to WIFI.

I've gotten it to go into controller mode by pressing shift and user buttons while its powered on but the behavior is very off. The knob displays on the screen are very laggy, and the clip buttons still behave weird and look like multiple scenes are launched simultaneously.

Pressing user upon power up takes me to the same boot page as previously mentioned in this thread and yields the same results. Hitting standalone mode just freezes on that page, and hitting recovery mode takes me back to the push logo and endless button animation.

I haven't heard from support past the first response asking for a crash report despite sending updates and video examples.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:11 pm

ALX-106 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:45 pm
I haven't heard from support past the first response asking for a crash report despite sending updates and video examples.
They will get back to you. Thx for sending these video and explanations etc...
Ableton Forum Moderator

danieljodeci

Post by danieljodeci » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:25 pm

ALX-106 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:45 pm
I am in the same boat. My first boot crashed and didn't go into the intro session. It then booted and seemed okay, but I had some weird bugs with clip launch buttons where it looked like two or more scenes were playing at once but all sounded fine. I was able to authorize it and get a session from my laptop on it. The next day, it wouldn't boot, it would just sit on the logo forever if I let it. I contacted support with a video and a detailed report and got a generic message back asking for a crash report. However, I cannot retrieve a crash report because the unit will not boot in standalone, and wont connect to WIFI.

I've gotten it to go into controller mode by pressing shift and user buttons while its powered on but the behavior is very off. The knob displays on the screen are very laggy, and the clip buttons still behave weird and look like multiple scenes are launched simultaneously.

Pressing user upon power up takes me to the same boot page as previously mentioned in this thread and yields the same results. Hitting standalone mode just freezes on that page, and hitting recovery mode takes me back to the push logo and endless button animation.

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing similar issues. Communication with support team has been extremely slow, waiting 24 plus hours for a generic response. I've been transferred and am now awaiting the warranty team to respond. It's been over 30 hours since their last response. I'm afraid I will have to wait even longer now with the Push being backordered. My patience is starting to run thin... I'm hoping Ableton will make this right

weston underwood

Post by weston underwood » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:38 pm

I'm sure you will be sorted. The team no doubt have plenty to deal with, I've sent them a couple of bug reports and so will many more. I wonder if something in yours has shaken lose during transit leading the machine to think it doesn't have a processor or similar?