Severe application hangs/other problems with 11.3.2 upgrade

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsevensteps

Severe application hangs/other problems with 11.3.2 upgrade

Post by djsevensteps » Mon May 29, 2023 8:01 pm

I'm experiencing severe CPU hangs, glacially slow buffering of clips, awful disk buffering performance when scrolling through the timeline during playback in arrangement view, and rendering is hanging at the "create analysis file" stage yet is able to create the mp3 (no wav created) indicating this is not a file/folder permissions error. Live is even extremely slow to display its window when alt-tabbing between programs.

None of these problems existed in the last update/build. Something appears to be terribly wrong with this update.
To Ableton Forum Mods/Support: please report this error!

I am running Mac OSX Ventura 13.2.1 on a Macbook Air M1. My system monitor shows cpu/mem/disk processes as working normally for all other applications.

I am running Live 13.3.2 Build: 2023-05-10_e3d052445a

Does anyone know how I can downgrade to the previous version? Live is practically unusable for me in its current state.

Rivanni

Re: Severe application hangs/other problems with 11.3.2 upgrade

Post by Rivanni » Mon May 29, 2023 8:29 pm

djsevensteps wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:01 pm
To Ableton Forum Mods/Support: please report this error!
This is something you can do yourself.
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Downgrading: download the previous version from here
https://www.ableton.com/en/download/archive

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 29, 2023 8:36 pm

djsevensteps wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:01 pm

Does anyone know how I can downgrade to the previous version? Live is practically unusable for me in its current state.
Go to your account here, https://www.ableton.com/en/account/

click the link that says Download Archive, and choose the 11.2 version.

I used the "install over" / replace option to install over 11.3.x and it all works fine now, no problems.

If you contact support with a detailed breakdown and explanation of the issue what will happen is you will be sent a mail reply which reads:
Hi there,

Thanks for contacting Ableton Tech Support.
We offer detailed troubleshooting steps in our Knowledge Base.
In order to provide further support for your case, we need more information.
Please reply to this email with the following:

A Status Report:
To generate a Status Report, go to Live > Help > Get Support, and attach the .zip file to your reply.
How to generate a Status Report

If Live has crashed, the most recent Crash Report:
Where to find Crash Reports

A specific description of the problem:
You may also include documentation such as a screenshot or short video. To send files over 50 MB, use online storage (Google Drive, Dropbox) or a one-click host (WeTransfer) to generate a link, and paste the link into your reply.

Failing to reply with the requested information may result in an additional delay.
We look forward to hearing back from you.
so, basically if you delete 11.3 (as I did) there's no path forward with support. So its either fix your problem with an old install or stay with the problem and engage with an automated support process (as above). The choice is yours.

I deleted 11.3 and I'll just wait 6 months until they fix this. It was obviously a rush release for Push 3

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Mon May 29, 2023 9:02 pm

Live 11.3 is re-calculating all the asd files (analysis files) for each audio file used in your set.
Did you wait a bit Live finish this before playing your live set ?
Do you have the same issue with a set with no audio in it or a new set ?

djsevensteps

Post by djsevensteps » Mon May 29, 2023 9:04 pm

Calagan wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:02 pm
Live 11.3 is re-calculating all the asd files (analysis files) for each audio file used in your set.
Yes- waited for all of that to finish. Still have lots of problems.

Ableton was really bad with the M1 processors when it first released natively on it. Feels like its back to the same of stuff with this bad release...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 29, 2023 11:29 pm

Calagan wrote:
Yes, but it isn't meant to run that feature when loading old sets, it's meant to be only on new wave imports or (in an old set is loaded) it is meant to be triggered by the user on each wave.
To run the new Auto-Warp algorithm on clips within an existing Live Set, use any of the Warp From Here commands (found in the Sample Editor's context menu) from any location in a clip.
https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-11/

The fact that this feature is running automatically on existing sets has been recognised as unintended by Ableton support.

The fact that it's re-warping or re-analysing media in old sets is not intended behaviour and there is no information about how this may negatively impact existing sets. Do we really want our existing media re-warped on load?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 30, 2023 2:44 am

Sucks that a bug like that got through, but sounds like they know about it and can hopefully fix asap.

It’s only happening once though when you open old sets right? It’s not doing it over and over every time you load?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Tue May 30, 2023 4:12 am

Angstrom wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:29 pm
Calagan wrote:
Yes, but it isn't meant to run that feature when loading old sets, it's meant to be only on new wave imports or (in an old set is loaded) it is meant to be triggered by the user on each wave.
To run the new Auto-Warp algorithm on clips within an existing Live Set, use any of the Warp From Here commands (found in the Sample Editor's context menu) from any location in a clip.
https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-11/

The fact that this feature is running automatically on existing sets has been recognised as unintended by Ableton support.

The fact that it's re-warping or re-analysing media in old sets is not intended behaviour and there is no information about how this may negatively impact existing sets. Do we really want our existing media re-warped on load?
I didn't know it was not an intended feature. I actually don't care much because I don't use warp very often, and I don't think it could change the sound of anything because it's only the analysis files. Maybe if the new warp algo is used yes. Anyway, it's strange that Ableton let this issue go through. And it seems djsevensteps has another issue.
On my side, Live is running fine on my M1 pro...

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Tue May 30, 2023 12:54 pm

I have the same issue on MAC wtuh m1 chip. Have a lot of audio clips in my set. Awefull performance. Went back to previous version for now.

djsevensteps

Post by djsevensteps » Tue May 30, 2023 6:02 pm

I downgraded and most things work like they used to, but not all :(

Clip waveform is not being drawn in real-time as it is recording. This happened previously.

Also, rendering still hangs at the "creating analysis file" stage. I can uncheck the box and wavs will create, but it's obviously indicative of some other deeper lingering problem. Wondering if 11.3.2 made other permanent changes to my machine rather than just within its own little sandboxed application package file? Seems like it...

I've done almost nothing to this machine other than let Ableton "upgrade" itself. This is very disappointing. Interacting with support to fix minor issues like this is a huge waste of time that is much better spent working on music.

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:29 am

Looks like this is fixed in 11.3.3 but can not find it in the release notes.

And I really do not like the new warping method. With long WAV files it does a bad job. Is it possible to turn off the new method?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:09 pm

There is no way to disable the new warp method. But if you have reproducible examples where it’s functioning worse than the previous method, I would definitely report those to support so it can be looked into:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/#contact-support
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:59 pm

Yes, thanks. Will try that.