So... Live on Linux?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
electroandy

Re: So... Live on Linux?

Post by electroandy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:54 am

Would love to see Live/Max on Linux. Would pay a sensible sum for the privilege. Lack of Linux support is one of the main reasons I keep a Windows OS install.

Sadly Mac laptop support ended with Live 12, she's getting very elderly the poor thing, (although earlier versions of Live work just fine).

Tempting to buy a more recent Mac - though as pointed out earlier in the thread, any company that solders RAM and SSD to the motherboard, (on a desktop machine), probably doesn't deserve any more of my money!

Windows hmm okay, the value of Ableton is far greater than disappointments of Microsaft

antic604

Post by antic604 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:59 pm

dcjams wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:05 pm
Why do non-programmers think they know how software development works? I wouldn’t tell an electrician how to wire a house or a farmer when to rotate the crops in his fields.

Any software project is always an enormous amount of work full stop end of story. Any software project is always, without exception, significantly underestimated.

A good portion of my day job is reminding people of this. People who don’t know what they’re talking about. The difference is they know they don’t know what they’re talking about which is why they pay me to talk about what I know about so that they don’t sound ignorant.

The software running on Push 3, whatever it is, lacks most of Live’s presentation layer for starters.
1) I'm not a programmer, but I've been programming on a hobbyist level since around 12 and now I do lots of prototyping for work (20+ years), so I've a pretty decent understanding of it :)

2) It is known, that Live version running on Push 3 Standalone (P3S) is close to normal desktop/laptop Live, e.g. it for example has a fully functioning arrangement mode which can run and play, but you can't control it. Obviously normal Live's GUI would be disabled to save on resources, but Live on laptop/desktop also includes the rendering of the Push GUI, so it's not like they've created it especially for P3S. It makes sense for P3S version of Live to be the same, or very, very close to laptop/desktop one. Also, because any fixes or new features have to be implemented in both. It's a normal development practice that you have one code & assets base and use tools to "compile" it for different OS and hardware platforms.

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:15 am

It will certainly be the same codebase but not all of it will necessarily be compiled in the build for Live on Push. So it won’t always be a case of features hidden or disabled on Push, they’ll literally be absent.

The main reasons for exclusion would likely be because they don’t work in Push or they want to rethink how they should work on Push.

That’s cool you’ve continued programming throughout your life. I’m sure you do know lots. Many of the best programmers are hobbyists!

antic604

Post by antic604 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:04 pm

dcjams wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:15 am
It will certainly be the same codebase but not all of it will necessarily be compiled in the build for Live on Push. So it won’t always be a case of features hidden or disabled on Push, they’ll literally be absent.

The main reasons for exclusion would likely be because they don’t work in Push or they want to rethink how they should work on Push.
Well, neither of use know what they actually are doing and you'd probably agree that both approaches (removing / not porting the unused code vs. disabling it) are equally likely and it basically comes down to coding policy/standards prevailing at Ableton. And to their plans with regards to theoretical Linux version.

My hope is they've made it easy for themselves to develop and maintain Win, macOS and Linux versions with minimal friction.

hit3k_voyivoda

Post by hit3k_voyivoda » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:00 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:16 pm
It’s a massive amount of support and development for an extremely tiny user base, so my vote is slim to none.

i mean not that hard given that they've literally already done it. The push 3 is a linux box with knobs and pad bolted to it. it even euns on x86 so there's really nothing to do but wrap the gui around what's already there.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:40 am

If a Linux version is not identical in UI and functionality to the Win or Mac versions, it is not appropriate for release. People will not be satisfied. It’s not releasable as the ‘Push version on Linux’, that would be a joke.

Jiffy1031

Post by Jiffy1031 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:36 pm

Honestly the only thing keeping me on Windows is for Ableton support. If Ableton were to have Linux support, I'd finally be able to get rid of Windows :D but sample size of me isn't enough. Why doesn't Ableton just send out a survey to gauge interest in using Linux with the userbase?

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:43 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:16 pm
It’s a massive amount of support and development for an extremely tiny user base, so my vote is slim to none.
honestly the only thing holding me on windows is Live and VSTs, if the VSTs would work on Linux in Live Linux build i would instantly switch. Microsoft is so annoying.
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

Nekz

Post by Nekz » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:34 pm

I noticed more and more support for Linux from the audio software community. U-he, Bitwig, Togu, DiscoDSP, Audio Damage, The Usual Suspects, Cardinal Rack, Reaper, Studio One and more keep coming.