Auto update to 11.3.2 fails

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
trz

Auto update to 11.3.2 fails

Post by trz » Tue May 30, 2023 3:17 pm

I am running 11.2.11 build 2023-03-17 on Windows 10
Setting auto update = ask me
It recognizes that 11.3.2 is available > yes, install > downloads > message: "new version ready after restart"

But after restart, it is still 11.2.11 and it

There are two folders in my installation that seem to be new (and I guess have something to do with it):
C:\ProgramData\Ableton\.Live 11 Suite_updated
C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 11 Suite\_autoupdates

What can I do?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Auto update to 11.3.2 fails

Post by [jur] » Tue May 30, 2023 4:23 pm

Sorry I'm not a windows user, but someone will probably chime in with an answer regarding those folders.
In any case you can download the installer from your account and install it manually.
Ableton Forum Moderator

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue May 30, 2023 5:09 pm

I no longer use Auto Update. It's easier to do it manually if you have more than one system. The other reason is those auto updates also stay on your drive. They don't get erased. A disk space app will reveal that. I've had to delete over 6gb of Live installs. It's also good to have to archive Live releases if the recent update doesn't work.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue May 30, 2023 9:35 pm

@trz.
Delete the two _update folders (or move them to a location outside C:\ProgramData)
Start Live 11.2.11 and let it auto-update.
Close Live when it tells you in the status bar, but don't start Live immediately after closing it.
Wait a couple of minutes so Live can finish the last steps behind the scenes.

Make sure that while you're doing this, nothing (including Windows Explorer) is using any files or folders in C:\ProgramData\Ableton.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue May 30, 2023 10:04 pm

kitekrazy wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:09 pm
I no longer use Auto Update. It's easier to do it manually if you have more than one system. The other reason is those auto updates also stay on your drive. They don't get erased. A disk space app will reveal that. I've had to delete over 6gb of Live installs. It's also good to have to archive Live releases if the recent update doesn't work.

Auto-updates don't stay on your system. There is nothing that can be erased because the auto-update takes care of that.
An auto-update only downloads a file of a couple of hundred MBs instead of a few GBs as is the case for a full install.
When the auto-update process takes place, a new version of the software is created using the old version, after which the old version is removed. As a result, you'll only have one version of Live installed on your pc.
This method is much faster compared to a complete installation, which involves completely uninstalling and then reinstalling Live. All automatically but it takes longer to update.
It may appear that there are multiple installations due to the list of installed apps not being cleared properly. Ironically this often happens when you perform a manual upgrade. Take a look in C:\ProgramData\Ableton\ and see how many installations there really are.
Any folders you so with ' update' in the name are a result of failed auto-updates and can simply be removed.

Having an archive can be handy, but it occupies valuable disk space. Ableton's website offers downloads for many previous versions, including Live 11.2.11.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:52 am

This is also happening to me. I'm on macOS ventura 13.4. When I start Ableton it just stays loading but never opens. I've reverted to 11.2 for now and disabled auto updates as this happened to me last week as well 8O

trz

Post by trz » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:24 pm

Thank you all for your replies.
It worked with the "install from download route".

[Edit: the midi problem I reported previously came from a faulty cable]

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:36 am

Rivanni wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:04 pm
kitekrazy wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:09 pm

Auto-updates don't stay on your system. There is nothing that can be erased because the auto-update takes care of that.
An auto-update only downloads a file of a couple of hundred MBs instead of a few GBs as is the case for a full install.
When the auto-update process takes place, a new version of the software is created using the old version, after which the old version is removed. As a result, you'll only have one version of Live installed on your pc.
This method is much faster compared to a complete installation, which involves completely uninstalling and then reinstalling Live. All automatically but it takes longer to update.
It may appear that there are multiple installations due to the list of installed apps not being cleared properly. Ironically this often happens when you perform a manual upgrade. Take a look in C:\ProgramData\Ableton\ and see how many installations there really are.
Any folders you so with ' update' in the name are a result of failed auto-updates and can simply be removed.

Having an archive can be handy, but it occupies valuable disk space. Ableton's website offers downloads for many previous versions, including Live 11.2.11.
Tree files Size says otherwise. I've had to delete up to 15gb of Live installs. Leftovers are found in program data folder.