Push 3 no go with cheese grater Mac?

Discuss Push with other users.
weston underwood

Push 3 no go with cheese grater Mac?

Post by weston underwood » Tue May 30, 2023 5:12 pm

Hi everyone. I've recently got into Push 2 but had been slight put off by the inability to nudge notes about from the controller, hence needing to go backwards and forwards to the computer - which is a pain when you're at a keyboard the other side of the room. Hence it was a dream come true to see Push 3 (connected with a long USB lead).

However, excitement was dashed when I connected to my 8 core Mac Pro early 2008. This runs live, logic and everything else with no problem at all, especially as 95% of my recording is via external synths.

When it came to Push 3 however the lag and into-ordination between pad presses, sound changes and screen updates makes it utterly unusable. Being used with USB A to USB C lead plugged into USB 2.0 port. All of that appears to be within spec for Push. I note however that Live says it wants an i5 minimum. The Mac Pro has a Xeon so I've no idea how that compares but it certainly has never had any problem running Live/Logic/Final Cut etc.

Works fine of course on my 2020 MacBook Pro 2020 but that hasn't got the scope to attach to all of the synths and is designed to be portable not studio bound anyway.

I've written to support but wondered if anyone has any bright ideas? Push 2 is fine, Push 3 plus a new Mac for the studio along with the endless expense of peripherals that suddenly don't work and need to be replaced is out of proportion to the ability to be able to nudge notes backwards and forwards. It looks like I may be about to get my £1650 back!

Cheers.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Push 3 no go with cheese grater Mac?

Post by [jur] » Tue May 30, 2023 6:33 pm

Which OS are you running on your cheese grater?
I still have an old (2010?) one hanging around but it didn't occur to me to boot it up and try P3 with it. I might try it to see how it goes.
Wondering if it's the dated USB port that's causing your issue...
Ableton Forum Moderator

weston underwood

Re: Push 3 no go with cheese grater Mac?

Post by weston underwood » Tue May 30, 2023 6:36 pm

Thanks for helping. Running Mojave which it says is OK. The USB ports as USB 2.0 which again is in spec. It would be great if you could have a go if you get a chance.