Ableton Push 3 standalone is buggy and crashes

Discuss Push with other users.
dest4b

Re: Ableton Push 3 standalone is buggy and crashes

Post by dest4b » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:23 am

i wantet to replace my Force with Push3 Standalone.
Because i love Ableton. I love Push..
But i also love the stability and tightness of my Force. As a brain in my studio. I need good Timing. Good Midi implementation.

In fact im sorry that Push3 Standalone cant deliver that.
And so i am also thinking to ship it back. I hoped it would be a gamchanger due the integration in Ableton workflow. Hopefully it would be in the future. But releasing a Product in PreBeta status is not the best decission. I spend so much energy and time with support that they understand the timing issue.. puh. now they did. But when will it be fixed? Could it be fixed ?

Hm
_________________________/
http://www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

resequenced

Post by resequenced » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:46 am

dest4b wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:23 am
i wantet to replace my Force with Push3 Standalone.
Because i love Ableton. I love Push..
But i also love the stability and tightness of my Force. As a brain in my studio. I need good Timing. Good Midi implementation.

In fact im sorry that Push3 Standalone cant deliver that.
And so i am also thinking to ship it back. I hoped it would be a gamchanger due the integration in Ableton workflow. Hopefully it would be in the future. But releasing a Product in PreBeta status is not the best decission. I spend so much energy and time with support that they understand the timing issue.. puh. now they did. But when will it be fixed? Could it be fixed ?

Hm
I've followed the thread where you were posting updates regarding the issues with latency, midi, sync and external devices. I've also read the posts made on several other threads. It's shocking to see how bad it is.
Ableton has left me with the impression that some group of people at the company got greedy and decided to launch a product before it was ready. The features are leaving a lot to be desired. The stability of the device is very poor. There are numerous bugs, limitations and issues of all kinds.

The price of the product is too high for what it did when it arrived and how buggy it is. I didn't even see the first time guide when it started the first time. It was in a crash loop. Editing midi clips is a bad experience without a copy function for notes and with the selection which stops working. The sequencer is nothing special either. I agree it's not something useful for a dawless setup.

Ableton is also violating the GPL license by not publishing the source code of the Linux kernel and the other packages used to build the custom Linux OS. German judges have ruled that the companies must provide the same source code of the Linux kernel used to build the executable binaries running on the devices sold to customers.

All in all, pretty much everything about this product looks bad, starting with the first 5 minutes with the Push 3 standalone and all the way to:
  • crashes when loading projects, crashes even while loading the tutorial during the first boot
  • can't set up a default project
  • bugs in the midi editor, with multiple devices and instruments
  • limited sequencer functionality - just compare it to the popular sequencers found on the market
  • can't copy notes, nor select several notes without selecting them all; can only copy the entire midi clip with the double button
  • no support for creating instrument rack chains
  • no support for mapping macros for instrument racks
  • can't move tracks in the session view
  • can't move clips around
  • no arrangement/song mode, requires a third party max 4 live device for such fundamental functionality
  • sets put together in arrangement mode on the computer can only be played without any visual feedback in the session view on the Push 3 standalone
  • no functionality to trigger clips from the same track together
  • no functionality to trigger scenes after another scene, requires a third party max 4 live device
  • poor max 4 live compatibility
  • no USB audio via class compliant USB audio interfaces
  • rapid battery discharge while the device is on and idle (5% lost in 2-3 minutes)
  • battery discharge while the device is off (possibly fixed after a complete drain)
  • high price for the limited feature set, numerous bugs and a power hungry i3 11th gen CPU
  • only includes the basic license of Live which doesn't even allow the user to use all of the device's features (CV, anyone?)
  • can't use any VST, CLAP, LV2 or any other plugin available for Linux
  • poor latency compensation & missing latency compensation settings when using external devices & not recording with Push 3 standalone
  • lack of clock sync in & poor stability for the generated clock
  • lacks an Ethernet port & requires an Ethernet USB adapter for stable use with a computer or for Link
  • needs to be used with a computer to make up for some of the missing features, not really standalone
  • third party max 4 live devices are required for something as simple as sending midi CC for program changes or configuring the synth
  • midi mapping requires importing an existing Live set with those mappings defined
  • noise on the headphone port
  • poor hardware QA - some units have issues with pads, touch strip, the OS stops booting suddenly or the controller stops working as well
  • controls or text freeze sometimes until the unit is rebooted
  • poor communication when it comes to the implementation of missing functionality and the release of bug fixes

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:03 am

resequenced wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:13 am
I've received a reply from Ableton support on the ticket related to the bugs and crashes. The reply said that I should wait because the bugs and crashes are being worked on. No ETA was provided. I wasn't told whether this was in the 30 days return window or not.

I'll request a return next week so the 30 days don't pass. This whole experience with the Push 3 standalone isn't what I expected from Ableton. It's a very expensive and unfinished product which isn't worth the money at all. It can't replace a proper sequencer, nor a daw. It's not that central piece of my dawless setup. It's mostly a sidekick which relies on Live running on a computer to do the things it can't. It's also not able to work properly with a midi sequencer and a proper clock generator right now. That makes it just an overpriced multi-synth, sampler and sample player which isn't able to work well with other devices.
I am sorry for all the trouble you went through, but thanks again for taking the time to share! I was very interested when P3S was announced, based on what I thought it would be. But as you write, it seems unfinished. I will try to take a pause from searching new info about P3S for now and maybe check in again by the end of this year to see if it has matured.

KrisG

Post by KrisG » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:03 pm

SvenH wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:03 am
I will try to take a pause from searching new info about P3S for now and maybe check in again by the end of this year to see if it has matured.
Same here. I was so excited when I saw the news about Push 3 but now I'm also going to take a break and check back in a couple of months.