Touchstrip is goin crazy.

Discuss Push with other users.
chris harbin

Re: Touchstrip is goin crazy.

Post by chris harbin » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:23 pm

edit, this IS a 3 issue, sorry.
Last edited by chris harbin on Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

rgarner

Post by rgarner » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:48 pm

It's 3 days later, the problem is getting worse and worse, and not a peep from support on my ticket — and support replied within a couple of hours to my ticket about pads misfiring. Every session is blighted by this bug. The lack of response is ... well, are they thinking it's hardware?

You can work around this by selecting Layout to get back to 64 pads but the moment you touch the touch strip or *any* of the screen soft buttons it's back, and requires not only a reboot but a reboot with a period of cooldown. And this is controller-only...

randi

Post by randi » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:48 pm

mines again going crazy, this time on controller mode. But again angled up

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:24 am

rgarner wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:48 pm
are they thinking it's hardware?
I'm not speaking for Support here, but I'm afraid this is a HW problem unfortunately.
Sorry if it'a taking too long but Support will get back to you eventually.
Ableton Forum Moderator

karlfranz

Post by karlfranz » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:54 am

My P3 is controller only and it also did that today. I had last used the touchstrip as a modulation control instead of pitch bend, so the lights from the lowest to about the center were lit and the ones above the center were bouncing up and down.

I only noticed it because I was randomly hearing a note playing (every 20 seconds or more). I ran MIDI Monitor and noticed that the P3 was getting a spurious Note On message.

I pressed the Layout button and the pads started flickering in a crazy pattern that was synced to the touchstrip. Cycling power on the P3 seemed to fix the issue.

TheEntireRobot

Post by TheEntireRobot » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:51 pm

I finally got a reply from Ableton support on this issue saying:
Regarding the issues you've encountered with the touch strip and the MPE pads triggering additional pads, we are aware of these problems.
  • At the moment, our development team is actively investigating these issues.
  • I've attached this ticket to our individual tracking tickets for each one of these problems: this way, I’ll be able to keep you informed on any updates.
  • Regarding the touch strip, please rest assured, resolving this bug is one of our top priorities and we are working diligently to provide a fix as soon as possible on an update to resolve it.
  • At this stage, I don't have an exact date on when that will be released, but I will be sure to notify you as soon as this fix is implemented.
Which suggests to me that they are working on the touch strip issue but aren't working on the issue where pressing MPE pads also triggers other pads. We'll see.

rgarner

Post by rgarner » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:22 pm

TheEntireRobot wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:51 pm
Which suggests to me that they are working on the touch strip issue but aren't working on the issue where pressing MPE pads also triggers other pads. We'll see.
On *that* (because I have both issues) they *did* get back to me to ask what value of Threshold in the settings made it go away. It varies for me. I sometimes have to go up to 50 to get rid of it permanently. Sometimes a mere 16 will do it. Obvs with 50 you lose some sensitivity. I don't know what the threshold for a "yep, better return that" is.

notronblanco

Post by notronblanco » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:40 pm

rgarner wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:22 pm
I don't know what the threshold for a "yep, better return that" is.
I’ve also been experiencing some bugs, namely the modwheel/pitchbend freaking out but also some laggy display/encoder behaviour and this is where I’m at too.

Good see support finally responding to the issue, let’s hope it’s somehow a software issue but seeing as it’s only impacting certain users, I’m leaning more towards it being a hardware fault.

rgarner

Post by rgarner » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:45 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:24 am
I'm not speaking for Support here, but I'm afraid this is a HW problem unfortunately.
Sorry if it'a taking too long but Support will get back to you eventually.
I appreciate this, thank you. The support quietness is — despite being understandable and expected — still somewhat frustrating. I can only use Push 3 for some minutes at a time before everything is out of tune from the pitch strip again, which is unfortunate, since I just spent £50 on 2 Elektron CV splitter boxes. Hm, I'm almost wondering if it's worth making a simple Max4Live device to block pitchbend and modwheel messages...

elbows

Post by elbows » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:35 pm

I have the crazy touchstrip issue. Sometimes everything remains fine, sometimes it goes crazy.

I have had it go crazy even if I boot my standalone in controller mode and have it hooked up to a computer that is not running Live at the time. So I can rule out the problem being cause by Live itself.

I discovered a new detail this evening:

The top of the strip stops being falsely triggered if I hover a finger about half a centimeter above that part of the strip, rather than touching it. But as soon as I stop hovering a finger above the strip, the problem comes back. And quite how far away my finger needs to be seems to vary over time.

hellnegative_

Post by hellnegative_ » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:12 am

Does it do it if Al the lights in your room are off?

drewbirt

Post by drewbirt » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:13 am

Ugh my touch strip was going crazy yesterday too, but I didn't realize what was happening. I just saw the flashing touch strip lights. I hope it's not a hardware issue. I'll have to try to reproduce it now.

troylee

Post by troylee » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:20 am

Hi,

I also have the Touchstrip issue. Same for me as with most other users, no feedback from support at all. Before sending my unit back, I would like to share my "root cause analysis" and maybe confirm with you as I am pretty sure the issue can hardly be fixed with a firmware update.

Here is what I observed (tested with firmware 1.1 & 1.1.1):

1. Boot up the Push 3 in standalone mode. Open a project (nothing special in my case, 5 tracks with internal instruments / max 2 effects per track)
2. Let the Push 3 play the project for 5 Min. => device is heating up
3. Let the Push 3 idle (not doing anything, device is simply turned on sitting on the studio desk) for min. 30 Min.
4. Touchstrip starts to go crazy => flickering and jumping LED´s + pitch as reported in this thread
5. Restart the device (no cool down), touch strip is working properly, let the device idle for 5 Min., touchstrip goes crazy again

So my conclusion is that this issue is a hardware issue which is connected to a temperature management problem of the device.

Would be nice if somebody can try too and report here. If reproduceable I will definitely return my device.

Thanks a lot...

dest4b

Post by dest4b » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:27 am

as i have read ( i think here ) that also controller versions are affected.. i think its something different then heat.
_________________________/
http://www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

elbows

Post by elbows » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:41 am

troylee wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:20 am
Would be nice if somebody can try too and report here. If reproduceable I will definitely return my device.
My own testing of my own device does point to an issue that is most likely to manifest during the first session of the day, and much less likely to happen again later on, after a restart.

I wont conclude its heat, since there are other electrical possibilities that could lead to a similar pattern I suppose.

The finger hovering thing I mentioned in my previous post is also of interest to me, in terms of giving clues about underlying cause. I have since discovered that I can simulate a hovering finger to fix the issue by placing a usb c charging cable, plugged intot he mains, in that area of the touchstrip. The rest of the touch strip then behaves normally, although its probably easier just to reboot given that the problem doesnt tend to reoccur for me if I leave the device on after the first failure of the day.