Max for Live Sequencer going out of time when Ableton is looped

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Plaigarhythm

Max for Live Sequencer going out of time when Ableton is looped

Post by Plaigarhythm » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:31 am

Heyo you wonderful bunch of Abletoneers,

Firstly, if this has been posted about I apologise but have spent many an hour trying to find a solution to my issue without any success.

Secondly, I would truly appreciate some assistance on this matter as it's driving me around the bend a bit so thanks in advance.

I am using Alexkid's Cute Little Sequencer for Live 10 on Live 11 and if I run the sequencer without the Ableton loop on there is no issue but as soon as I enable loop in Ableton the sequencer will run on time for a few bars then skip 1 beat forward taking it out of time, then run for a few bars then skip another beat forward and so on. I have scoured the internet for an answer and even reached out to the creator of the sequencer but have not been able to find an answer to my conundrum. Please oh please forum wizards, cast a spell to rid me of this irritation.

chapelier fou

Re: Max for Live Sequencer going out of time when Ableton is looped

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:03 am

I’m pretty sure I’ve read something in recent release notes (either in max or in live) that could potentially fix your issue. Are you on the latest versions ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

doubleUG

Post by doubleUG » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:55 am

patchnote Max Max 8.5.4 :metro in Max for Live: outputs bangs consistently when the Arrangement View's loop brace is active
copy the text, open Live > drag in empty M4L device > open Max editor > paste > save M4L device
https://docs.cycling74.com/max8/vignett ... ng_patches

https://doubleUG.bandcamp.com/releases

Plaigarhythm

Post by Plaigarhythm » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:41 pm

I think I am up to date but will double-check and get back to ya'll. Appreciate the replies and hope it's something as simple as a young update. Stay awesome!

Plaigarhythm

Post by Plaigarhythm » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:45 am

I checked and I am up to date with both Live and Max For Live :( I don't know what else to do.

The workaround is just never to use the loop brace when using the sequencers and once I am happy with the groove I record the midi, put it into the sequencer track, turn off the sequencer and voila, the midi plays as intended. Still irritating that this happens and I can literally find zero answers anywhere on the web. Oh well, work around it is.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:38 am

I might be wrong as it is a bit confusing, but, I doubt that Max 8.5.4 is bundled with Live yet. There is an option to use either the bundled or an external version of Max in Live. Maybe you can install Max 8.5.4, point Live to use it, and see if it solves the problem ?
Then, in a future Live version, it's going to be bundled. So in any case, it might be solved soon.
EDIT : looks like it is bundled with Live 11.3.2... so, sorry !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

alexkid_official

Post by alexkid_official » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:32 am

Hey, Alexkid here, I created the Cute Little Sequencer.

There is indeed in some cases the issue that it get out of loop if the loop isn't perfect. I just tried on my side and there are no issues at all and not going out of time.
You need to make sure that your loop is perfect AND also a good practice is to start and stop with the space bar from your computer keyboard. There is an issue with Ableton if you restart as it doesn't send the stop signal that allows to reset the position of the sequencer. When using the space bar, you also send to stop signal that resets properly the instance.
Also -for those interested- I generate my clock with Plugsync and not with Metro. I got used to doing this way as Metro was HIGHLY unstable when opening two instances of the same plug-in, and by then there was no other fix if you wanted to a super tight clock and not have issues with jitter and crazy MIDI notes off

If there are still issues, please message me directly through the webshop or contact[at]510k.de

Hope this helps!
Cheers
Alex