ABLETON UNUSABLE AFTER 18 YEARS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
carlito828

ABLETON UNUSABLE AFTER 18 YEARS

Post by carlito828 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:57 am

After the 11.3.2 update all sets are force- re warped BADLY. Apart from the long wait time for set to be ready. Long samples (Ie Full Tracks) are re warped with huge miscalculations causing very noticeable speed changes within a track. I did a mix and uploaded it to a radio station while being played back ON AIR the tracks started to go up and down in speed! The radio program went on with this problem throughout which was most embarrassing. In the end the show had to be PULLED OFF AIR!!! How can you make such a bad mistake!!!! Rushing to get the Ableton cosy with the new push 3 but forgetting the fundamental and basic functions on your software? You have got to be kidding me . I have been using your software since 2004 (I even suggested Tempo Nudge back in 2005 you replied saying that Ableton was not meant for being a DJ software.) Maybe this is still true. What the hell am I supposed to do now? will you have any updtes to rectify this Faulty warp calculation problem?? :oops: :oops: :oops: :?: :?: :?:

carlito828

Re: ABLETON UNUSABLE AFTER 18 YEARS

Post by carlito828 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:18 am

This is Abletons answer

Lucas (Ableton Support)
Jun 8, 2023, 02:13 PDT

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us and I'm sorry to hear about this issue. I'll be glad to help you out!
You mention the slow projects loading, we are aware of this behaviour and it is currently expected.

With the release of Live 11.3.2, there was a change to Live's warping algorithm that requires each audio file to be re-analyzed.

• This re-analysis process may result in behaviour such as laggy GUI and increased CPU load.
• The process only needs to happen once per audio file and should be relatively quick.
• The more long audio files are in the set, the process may also take a bit longer accordingly.

At this point, we can't tell if/when the behaviour will change, however, we are already working on improving this experience.
I hope this helps!

Kind wishes,
Lucas
Ableton Support

carlito828

Post by carlito828 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:19 am

My reply..

Hi there thanks for the reply that didn’t hep at all…
And you are avoiding the main issue that ableton is not RE ANALYSING THE AUDIO CORRECTLY. This is a major fault (As explained before ) because on long samples the audio noticeably varies in speed which renders the program unusable for creating sets...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:51 am

Hey Carlito828,

I don't want to minimise the analysing files time issue as it's been reported several times as an annoyance, but regarding the new warping algorithm:
- it was mentioned in the release notes, and the differences it could produce too
- honestly, I don't understand how one would send a file to be streamed without listening to the export first. Human and machine errors could happen before and sometimes during an export.

But that's just my opinion...
Ableton Forum Moderator

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:02 am

Can I just clarify something please?

My live set has 50+ clips of backing tracks, all of them with warped on (although the tracks were each recorded at whatever the tempo for that scene is so there's no actual warping going on). Is there a chance that these will have been affected by the update? I have a gig tonight and don't have time to check all the clips.

Or does it only potentially affect new clips?

carlito828

Post by carlito828 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:06 am

Yes I agree that a whole 2 hour mix should be checked. But I've been used to the warp markers working almost perfectly for over a decade. Its more than just an "annoyance" to have to check each mix or even worse have to check all the (sometimes hundreds) of tracks on a ableton set that I've been using to play out. Many samples in my sets are badly warped now after this "Upgrade" which renders the program useless for me. I just wont have the time to go through each set and sample to check an "annoyance" that could cause a huge embarrassment at a gig.
This is a huge mistake from ableton. Previous versions are not available so I wont be opening any sets until this problem is fixed with an update or at least have a choice for opting out of the re-warping all my already hand warped samples.

carlito828

Post by carlito828 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:11 am

Greenapples2019 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:02 am
Can I just clarify something please?

My live set has 50+ clips of backing tracks, all of them with warped on (although the tracks were each recorded at whatever the tempo for that scene is so there's no actual warping going on). Is there a chance that these will have been affected by the update? I have a gig tonight and don't have time to check all the clips.

Or does it only potentially affect new clips?
Don't open the sets , If you are mixing the tracks together like a DJ mix Ableton will force new warp markers and there will be miscalculations with the newly warped samples. The speed will go up and down at many points throughout your tracks..

dougdi

Post by dougdi » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:28 am

Does this occur each time a set is opened? Or does re-saving after Live recalculates the asd prevent it from happening again?
Doug

lincolnkid

Post by lincolnkid » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:44 am

carlito828 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:06 am
Previous versions are not available so...
FYI previous versions are here: https://www.ableton.com/en/download/archive/

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:46 am

You can find L11.2 installer here.
Ableton Forum Moderator

carlito828

Post by carlito828 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:54 pm

Thanks for the previous version links!

nysky1

Post by nysky1 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:47 pm

I just want to echo the comments by carlito828. If you are using Live for Dj sets and have long samples (songs), this version 13.3.3 is destructive to your sets. The auto-warping BEGINS well, but depending on the song will get worse slowly and during a break (instrumental portion of a song), the warp markers are WAY OFF and will produce very strange results with varying tempo. All I have found to do is start removing bad markers, but since markers exist on every measure, that's a ton of work to remove all those.

Recommendations: Add a setting in preferences to "Use Improved Auto-Warp" and allow users to disable that. We need Warp without Auto-warp to continue using Live. Help!

I've been a user of Ableton since V6 and teach students with Ableton. I've never seen this from the team at Ableton before, so I hope they quickly fix this problem.

I'm going to post a YouTube video about the problem.

Julia123

Post by Julia123 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:54 pm

Just curious, after these older projects are re-warped incorrectly, if we revert to the older Ableton version does this re-warping also revert?
Live 10.1.5, 2017 iMac 4.2 GHz i7, 40 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

nysky1

Post by nysky1 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:05 am

I just deleted the ASD files on my project and since those were analyzed again (using the older version), I was alright. Thankfully I didn't open any of my older sets in the new version. Hopefully the community is backing up their projects and could revert to their prior ASD files which should still work fine in the older version.

I am reusing 11.2 and making music again.

** Remember after you download the older version, IMMEDIATELY go and turn OFF Auto-Update. **