Merging Operator and Wavetable

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Is this something that you would like to see in Live?

Yes
13%
No
88%

Total votes: 8

oscarstott

Merging Operator and Wavetable

Post by oscarstott » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:20 pm

Hello everyone,

I must express my profound admiration of Operator; it has been an absolute delight ever since its introduction in Ableton Live when I was merely 3 years old! (I am currently 17.) Nonetheless, it's disheartening to witness its rather stagnant state, leaving it somewhat antiquated when compared to newer synthesizers. Countless voices have echoed this sentiment, pointing out its limited modulation capabilities, with an LFO that modulates pitch and filter frequencies.

Likewise, I have come across discussions regarding Wavetable, which, despite its commendable features, suffers from its own set of limitations. The absence of additive synthesis, confined solely to sine waves for FM synthesis, and the omission of oscillator feedback have left many enthusiasts yearning for more expressive possibilities.

In my own musical pursuits, I find myself frequently amalgamating the strengths of both synths in racks. Operator excels in shaping sharp transients, while Wavetable crafts enchanting tails. However, the process of programming them separately is undeniably time-consuming, impeding creative flow and stifling crucial inspiration.

This is why I propose, the fusion of these two exceptional synthesizers into the ultimate sonic powerhouse. History has revealed that the most revered and sought-after synths are those brimming with a profusion of features, as artists constantly strive to push the boundaries of their creativity without the constrictions of limited capabilities. It is within this context that the combination of Operator and Wavetable becomes an irresistible and tantalising prospect. The unified might of Wavetable's adaptable interface and Operator's impeccable tonal palette would empower Ableton users to ascend to unparalleled heights of sonic exploration and increase the value of the program significantly!

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Last edited by oscarstott on Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Merging Operator and Wavetable

Post by [jur] » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:42 pm

oscarstott wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:20 pm
with a solitary LFO that only modulates pitch and filter frequencies.
LFO has a "destination B" option which lets you modulate almost any parameter :wink:

But yeah, it's time for giving some love to Operator! It's definitely my favourite synth.
Ableton Forum Moderator

oscarstott

Post by oscarstott » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:07 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:42 pm
LFO has a "destination B" option which lets you modulate almost any parameter :wink:
I admit your correctness in pointing out the existence of destination B, which had eluded my previous awareness.

However, I maintain the opinion that Operator could be enhanced with a greater incorporation of LFOs, showcasing a wider array of shapes.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:10 pm

oscarstott wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:07 pm
I maintain the opinion that Operator could be enhanced with a greater incorporation of LFOs, showcasing a wider array of shapes.
And I 100% agree!
Ableton Forum Moderator

oscarstott

Post by oscarstott » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:25 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:10 pm
And I 100% agree!
I adore your fervor!