Discuss Push with other users.
TilliSound

Re: Push 3 Noise in headphones with nothing on

Post by TilliSound » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:39 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:28 pm
Cloth Ears wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:02 pm
I have yet to contact support about this, I do think they are aware of the issue as some reviewers said they were told you could not charge it over USB.
You should definitely contact support. This noise that you're all talking about in this thread is definitely not something that everyone is experiencing, so that might be a hardware issue (especially since some hear it with the PSU only, and others with USB only)
Also, P3S can be charged via its USB-C port, using a 65W, 20, 3A power bank.
I would bet that this is one of the top issues with support. That's why we don't get an answer even after days.

TilliSound

Post by TilliSound » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:58 pm

I finally managed to analyse the problem:
The cause is so banal that it is almost frightening.
It is the buffer size in the audio settings! 8O
You wouldn't think it's possible.
You can have no noise with buffer size 32, but then there are the other well-known problems. All values above 32 produce noise on the headphones.

TheLoudest

Post by TheLoudest » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:20 pm

8O

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:42 pm

TilliSound wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:58 pm
You can have no noise with buffer size 32, but then there are the other well-known problems. All values above 32 produce noise on the headphones.
I don't think thats the cause necessarily, but more likely a side effect of an hardware anomaly..

TilliSound

Post by TilliSound » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:46 pm

Audivit wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:42 pm
TilliSound wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:58 pm
I don't think thats the cause necessarily, but more likely a side effect of an hardware anomaly..
A design fault, all units defective?

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:17 pm

I never heard noise on the headphones output primarily because i simply don't use it much..

But I wanted to test, so here are my findings:

With planar headphones (18 Ohms impedance & low sensitivity):
I can hear a very faint whine, like a 1khz tone, which disappears when selecting 64 or 32 buffer size setting at 48khz.
Not a problem, it is almost as low as ambient noise with open back headphones in a dead silent room.

With in-ear headphones (16 Ohms impedance & high sensitivity):
I can hear the whine much louder to the point is very distracting, there is also distorted noise in the background.
- Selecting 32 buffer size reduces the whine drastically but some noise is still present.
- Disconnecting power supply reduces the whine and noise to almost inaudible levels comparable to test done with my other headphones.
- Connecting a stereo transformer isolator between the in-ear headphones and the Push 3, regardless of power being plugged in or not, completely eliminates any kind of whine/noise (not sure how it will be affecting frequency response though, but for test it sounded fine to me).

In all cases the whine/noise was fixed in volume, turning the headphones volume up didn't increase the noise floor.

To me this seems related to some kind of ground loop..
Last edited by Audivit on Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TilliSound

Post by TilliSound » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:21 pm

Audivit wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:17 pm
I never heard noise on the headphones output primarily because i simply don't use it much..

But I wanted to test, so here are my findings:

With planar headphones (18 Ohms impedance & low sensitivity):
I can hear a very faint whine, like a 1khz tone, which disappears when selecting 64 or 32 buffer size setting at 48khz.
Not a problem, it is almost as low as ambient noise with open back headphones in a dead silent room.

With in-ear headphones (16 Ohms impedance & high sensitivity):
I can hear the whine much louder to the point is very distracting, there is also distorted noise in the background.
- Selecting 32 buffer size reduces the whine drastically but some noise is still present.
- Disconnecting power supply reduces the whine and noise to almost inaudible levels comparable to test done with my other headphones.
- Connecting a stereo transformer isolator between the in-ear headphones and the Push 3, regardless of power being plugged in or not, completely eliminates any kind of whine/noise (not sure how it will be affecting frequency response though, but for test it sounded fine to me).

In all cases the whine/noise was fixed in volume, turning the headphones volume up didn't increase the noise floor.
Thanks for the expert analysis and confirmation!

EDIT: By the way, the same noises can also be heard on line-out. At higher amplification they are clearly audible and correspond to the noises on the headphone output. Really embarrassing construction.

knarrrz

Post by knarrrz » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:13 pm

Did anyone got a reply from the Ableton support yet regarding this issue?
Meanwhile I got my Push exchanged because of another defect, but the new one also has that noise on the headphones though.

TilliSound

Post by TilliSound » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:55 pm

knarrrz wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:13 pm
Did anyone got a reply from the Ableton support yet regarding this issue?
Meanwhile I got my Push exchanged because of another defect, but the new one also has that noise on the headphones though.
Of course, there is still no relevant feedback from support. The only feedback so far is a whiny text "it is unfair to accuse the support colleagues of being overworked". Simply embarrassing.

trevone

Post by trevone » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:23 pm

Reporting I have the noise also on headphone output. Really bad.

Arpanet1969

Post by Arpanet1969 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:22 pm

is there a way to turn the pad lighting off? the lights on my mpc one pads add a ton of noise but goes away if I turn off the backlighting

TilliSound

Post by TilliSound » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:40 pm

Arpanet1969 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:22 pm
is there a way to turn the pad lighting off? the lights on my mpc one pads add a ton of noise but goes away if I turn off the backlighting
I thought of that too ;-)

Unfortunately not. I would generally appreciate it if you could dim the brightness down further, because the pads are quite simply much too bright in dark surroundings.

rstcologne

Post by rstcologne » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:03 pm

Same issues here…

With an AKG K702, the noise is nearly inaudible. However with my in-ears, it‘s very clearly there and quite annoying. It sounds like the audio out from cheap laptops of yesteryear. I have an older i5 based NUC from some years ago which also has noise like this. Anyone know if the Push uses the onboard audio of the NUC or is there a dedicated interface included?

db9979

Post by db9979 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:28 pm

What I figured out is if you had the noise on headphone if you are connected to external power supply:

touch with one finger on one of the midi ports/jacks and hold it there - noise is then almost gone......

not the best solution 8O

I also changed my Headphones to DT990 Pro 250 ohms (NOISE is gone) and could not hear the noise anymore. Maybee some headphones doesn't work as they should.

userdata

Post by userdata » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:27 pm

Noise in headphones when using charger, and honestly there little noise without charger too