Does Push 3 standalone authorization take 1 Live license seat?

Discuss Push with other users.
ffont

Does Push 3 standalone authorization take 1 Live license seat?

Post by ffont » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:02 am

Hi everyone,

For those who have Push 3 standalone, when authorising it, does it consume one of the Live license "seats"?
That is to say, can I have Live running in 2 computers AND Push standalone at the same time?

Thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Does Push 3 standalone authorization take 1 Live license seat?

Post by [jur] » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:49 am

Nope, it's considered as an independent machine, just like your computer(s).
In case you're running out of authorization, just drop a line to Support :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

ffont

Post by ffont » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:21 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the very quick reply,
Cheers,

elbows

Post by elbows » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:37 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:49 am
Nope, it's considered as an independent machine, just like your computer(s).
In case you're running out of authorization, just drop a line to Support :wink:
Are you sure about that? My account still says I can authorise live on another device despite having it authorised on at least one computer and the Push 3 standalone.

resequenced

Post by resequenced » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:27 pm

I've filed a support ticket. My authorization history shows the Push 3 standalone as an activation. It also shows that I have one available activation.

This is one of the reasons why I like hardware without licenses and simple firmware updates.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:59 pm

I was told when you register a Push 3S it ADDS another license to the amount you usually have available with just the software, it’s not using one of those up.

Totally moot point anyway since Ableton is always very generous about quickly providing more license unlocks if you need them.

elbows

Post by elbows » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:27 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:59 pm
I was told when you register a Push 3S it ADDS another license to the amount you usually have available with just the software, it’s not using one of those up.
That would be consistent with what I've seen happen with mine.

resequenced

Post by resequenced » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:02 am

Ableton support has replied to let me know they've added one more authorisation to my account. The page doesn't seem to have changed at all from what it was before. It's either a bug or they didn't do anything at all. Only the Push 3 standalone was activated with the Live Suite. It still shows as being able to run it on just one more machine.

They've also told me that the policy clearly states that Live is only meant to be used on two devices. It's preposterous to state that the Push 3 is the same as a regular computer. Can we suddenly start buying Push 3 standalone from some other manufacturer or make them at home, thus taking money away from Ableton when we activate Live on them? It's ridiculous. This is even worse due to the state the Push 3 standalone is in right now. It can't be used properly on its own without a second machine. This means we can't say that the Push 3 standalone is the equal of a regular computer running Live. It lacks a lot of functionality. The Push 3 standalone requires Live to work with it. People who use it on the go really need Live on a laptop as well, not just on their home or studio desktop computer.

The person from support didn't address my question regarding the deactivation of Live on a computer on which we don't want to use it anymore. I've replied and asked them to answer that question.

Ableton support replied in less than 24 hours. That was a first.

elbows

Post by elbows » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:29 am

Well I dont think they have a tidy deactivation system, which they work around by giving people more activations if you contact support.

resequenced

Post by resequenced » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:50 pm

Someone from Ableton support replied again after my request for an explanation.

There's no way to remove an authorization from a computer. There's no such system in place.

The web based front end doesn't reflect the increase in authorizations. They've just made the change on their backend systems.

I've marked my support ticket for Live as something which can be closed. Perhaps others will find this thread if they have the same question. Those who need an additional authorization can just request it via a ticket directly in the initial ticket.

CH7

Post by CH7 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:59 pm

This is an old thread all the same...

I have push 3 standalone showing Live 11 Intro, despite me authorising it. I have Live Suit on my laptop.

Have i missed a stage in the authorization process? If i reset the Push to its factory settings, can i reauthorize it so it says Live 11 Suite?

Anyone?

[EDIT] Solved the issues above.

I had upgraded the SSD from 250gb to 2TB, this required me to delete the /data partition and recreate the partition via Gparted on Linux, to use all of the extra space on the drive. The problem with this is it came with premission errors meaning the Push OS couldn't write the config files it needed to that /data partition.

When i Authorise the PUSH [using a USB to ethernet dongle plugged into the USB A port ] I got the following error -

The file "/data/.local/share/Ableton/Installation.cfg" cannot be opened for writing because it is write-protected. At least this clue was there.

It seems the same write protection prevented the wifi password from being saved along with its config files. There were no other clues to this.
The solution was simple enough, I removed the SSD to an M.2 to USB Dongle, then booted into a Linux installation which allowed me to see the drives.

The following result was found when searching for write-protection faults.

" Open the terminal.
Type sudo chmod 777 /data/ and press Enter. This command will give all users full read, write, and execute permissions to the directory /data/.
If prompted, enter your password and press Enter.
"

In my case, the /data partition was found as /media/<user name>/data . The command was modified to sudo 'chmod -R 777 /media/<user name>/data'.

[where -R recursively sets read/write/execute globally for all the files on that drive. ]

Now with the SSD back in the Push, I did another factory reset, [as other config files from the initial boot won't be where they need to be. ]
I then reauthorized the Push, this time there were no errors. When i rebooted the PUSH it showed "Ableton Live 11 Suite". 1.8tb space available ;)

As a bonus, the Wifi now works.

After allowing me to save the password, the selected network is displayed in green. Once again there were no clues to why this failed before.
I guess drive upgrades and write protection faults were never anticipated. A failure to verify a file write-to-drive could have been followed by the Push OS correcting for that fault.

I hope others find this useful.

#upgraded SSD