Advice please on a upright bass sample library

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dougtheguy

Advice please on a upright bass sample library

Post by dougtheguy » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:35 pm

I’m looking for an upright bass sample library that will work with sampler. I have not done this before and wanted to get some advice before shelling out around $100. According to the manual just about any format can be imported. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards.

jlgrimes

Re: Advice please on a upright bass sample library

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:50 pm

Unfortunately I think most of the compatibility Sampler used to have was phased away.

If you don't plan on getting your hands dirty I recommend something like CDXtract or (can't remember the other program to convert libraries).

I hope Ableton plans on bringing the Compatibility back as with Push 3 being standalone, an elegant way is needed to get Sample libraries into Push 3 without relying on Sampler native format which isn't that popular.

SF2 and SFZ would be the biggest libraries I think for places to look. Definitely SFZ.

It might be worthwhile paying a Bass Player to record their notes (can be one large file even) and then paying someone to create patch.

I'm thinking the biggest thing will be the envelopes and whether to loop or not to loop. Not looping would be easiest but would use the most space.

dougtheguy

Post by dougtheguy » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:12 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I spend most of my time working on guitar and push and just don’t see myself going thru all the work of creating a library that will fit my needs. I have big band essentials with a bass but it’s limited. Looking for a really full featured library. I have written support but it looks like demand is not there (I don’t get that).

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:30 pm

:roll:
dougtheguy wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:12 pm
Thanks for the reply.
I spend most of my time working on guitar and push and just don’t see myself going thru all the work of creating a library that will fit my needs. I have big band essentials with a bass but it’s limited. Looking for a really full featured library. I have written support but it looks like demand is not there (I don’t get that).
I'm thinking they will definitely need to think about this as Push 3 is standalone with no VSTs, so Sampler/Simpler will be more important for getting non synthesized sounds into Push 3. Drum sounds are one thing but good multi sample support will be important (whether they work on compatibility or just get more developers to create libraries).

dougtheguy

Post by dougtheguy » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:18 am

I see that they ended 3rd party import after 10. They definitely need to support again. I’m on the 3 wait list and wondering what I’m going to do.

cids

Post by cids » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:42 am

Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

dougtheguy

Post by dougtheguy » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:15 pm

Thanks for the Kontact player bass lib.

Still looking for something I can take onto push 3.