Alternatives with multiple outputs to blackhole for apple m1?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
NewFutureFantasy

Alternatives with multiple outputs to blackhole for apple m1?

Post by NewFutureFantasy » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:55 pm

On my Apple M1 Mini, when I run Ableton and choose my Saffire 18i20 as the output, I can have the metronome on output 3-4 for just my own monitoring while the main output 1-2 does not broadcast the metronome to the listener, ideal for an acoustic song where I need precise timing but do not want any percussion.
However, to live stream using OBS I route my audio via BlackHole. I create a multi-output device in the Apple Audio-Midi Setup which has both BlackHole 16ch and Saffire18i20 as outputs and set this multi-output device as the output of Ableton, with OBS taking audio straight from BlackHole 16ch. But then I only have outputs 1-2 available on Ableton and there is no output 3-4 available to monitor the metronome without the listener hearing it. Perhaps this is because the Multi-Output Device that Apple automatically creates is 0in 2out, despite BlackHole apparently being 16ch.
Is there a way I can monitor my metronome on a separate output while live-streaming via OBS, perhaps with BlackHole or maybe an alternative, that will of course work with my M1 chip? I have searched the internet for an answer but to no avail.
Many thanks.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Alternatives with multiple outputs to blackhole for apple m1?

Post by [jur] » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:17 pm

I edited your title so it's not all UPPER CASE LETTERS, which on the internet usually means: I'M SCREAMING !!!!
cheers
Ableton Forum Moderator

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:36 am

you can use an Aggregate Device instead of a Multi-Output Device...

NewFutureFantasy

Post by NewFutureFantasy » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:56 pm

Sorry about the capital letters, it won't happen again!

Thanks for you suggestion. I did create an Aggregate Device containing both the Saffire and BlackHole. Ableton saw this fine, but the Audio Output Device in OBS can only see BlackHole, which is now not sending any audio, unlike when I used the Multi Output Device, when again OBS could only see BlackHole but it was delivering audio. What am I doing wrong?

gmozart88

Post by gmozart88 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:31 pm

NewFutureFantasy wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:55 pm
On my Apple M1 Mini, when I run Ableton and choose my Saffire 18i20 as the output, I can have the metronome on output 3-4 for just my own monitoring while the main output 1-2 does not broadcast the metronome to the listener, ideal for an acoustic song where I need precise timing but do not want any percussion.
However, to live stream using OBS I route my audio via BlackHole. I create a multi-output device in the Apple Audio-Midi Setup which has both BlackHole 16ch and Saffire18i20 as outputs and set this multi-output device as the output of Ableton, with OBS taking audio straight from BlackHole 16ch. But then I only have outputs 1-2 available on Ableton and there is no output 3-4 available to monitor the metronome without the listener hearing it. Perhaps this is because the Multi-Output Device that Apple automatically creates is 0in 2out, despite BlackHole apparently being 16ch.
Is there a way I can monitor my metronome on a separate output while live-streaming via OBS, perhaps with BlackHole or maybe an alternative, that will of course work with my M1 chip? I have searched the internet for an answer but to no avail.
Many thanks.
Hi i have your same problem, did you manage to fix it?