P3S is totally overloaded when multiple notes are sent to the TRS MIDI Out at the same time

Discuss Push with other users.
mai

P3S is totally overloaded when multiple notes are sent to the TRS MIDI Out at the same time

Post by mai » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:47 am

If, for example, I use 6 MIDI tracks that play several notes and send them to the TRS MIDI Out (not USB) of P3S, P3 is completely overloaded. The reaction of the pads, the LEDs and everything on the unit only works/reacts with an extreme(!) delay of several seconds. This does not "only" affect the display and operation of P3, but also the transmitted MIDI notes are sent to the TRS MIDI Out with an extreme latency of several seconds.

If you like to reproduce:
- create a MIDI track
- set the output of the track to "Push 3 MIDI Out", select output channel
- now record several chords (e.g. 3 notes at the same time) spread over the whole clip so that notes are sent continuously
- duplicate this MIDI track 6 times (or more)
- start all clips

Push 3 now seems to be completely overloaded, e.g. check the step sequencer (pads) to see what happens there. Or simply play a few notes on the pads on a new MIDI track (on which no clip is running). The delay between the played notes and the actual triggering of the notes is about 2-3 seconds!

Using the MIDI Out is therefore completely useless. Even if only one MIDI track (with several notes at the same time, e.g. chords) is sent to the MIDI Out, there is a noticeable latency. This increases drastically the more tracks you want to use.

I have contacted technical "support" with the problem - but I fear that once again I will not get an answer.

hellnegative_

Re: P3S is totally overloaded when multiple notes are sent to the TRS MIDI Out at the same time

Post by hellnegative_ » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:06 pm

Are you using external instrument? Are you sending notes over the same channel or different channels? Are you running from the push 3s to a midi thru box or are you chaining using midi thru on the synths you’re connected to?

mai

Re: P3S is totally overloaded when multiple notes are sent to the TRS MIDI Out at the same time

Post by mai » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:12 pm

To make it as easy as possible for everyone to reproduce (and also to rule out a mistake on my part), I didn't set anything special, didn't connect anything - just created a new empty project. Have you tried to reproduce it? I would be very surprised if it was different for you. There are no problems with USB MIDI, only with TRS MIDI. This is definitely a bug.

But here are the detailed answers:
hellnegative_ wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:06 pm
Are you using external instrument?
No. Just a simple (empty) MIDI track
hellnegative_ wrote:
Are you sending notes over the same channel or different channels?
I’ve tried both. Sending all 6 tracks to the same channel, is the same than sending the 6 tracks to 6 different channels.
hellnegative_ wrote:
Are you running from the push 3s to a midi thru box or are you chaining using midi thru on the synths you’re connected to?
No, nothing connected. And as I wrote in my first post: the problem is inside Push, not external Gear. Just reproduce it and hit a pad in Note/Keyboard mode. Even there you can see, that it takes 2-3 seconds after touching a pad until it will light up and the MIDI note will be sent.

hellnegative_

Post by hellnegative_ » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:48 am

Ah. You stated you were using the trs midi out which is used to connect to external gear, so I assumed you were using external gear.

When I tested the push with my cranborne, I also had it controlling a microkorg and a nts1 using the trs midi out. Didn’t have any issues.

Didn’t try routing midi tracks internally, tho.

mai

Post by mai » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:05 am

Somehow you don’t seem to read carefully. ;)

Yes, I do: I send notes to the TRS MIDI Out. Only for the test and the reproducibility I have not connected a synth. No, I don't route anything internally.

It doesn't help that you connected a few synths and it worked. The point is that when MANY notes are sent then Push breaks down.

If you are really interested in this topic, you have to reproduce the above steps. Otherwise, unfortunately, it doesn't help.

elbows

Post by elbows » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:16 am

Are your pads in MPE mode?

mai

Post by mai » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:30 pm

elbows wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:16 am
Yes, but I can hardly imagine that this is the problem. As I said, when the notes are sent out of the P3s via USB MIDI, it works as it should. The problem ONLY occurs when I use the TRS MIDI out.

elbows

Post by elbows » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:40 pm

mai wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:30 pm
elbows wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:16 am
Yes, but I can hardly imagine that this is the problem. As I said, when the notes are sent out of the P3s via USB MIDI, it works as it should. The problem ONLY occurs when I use the TRS MIDI out.
Well I would certainly want to check that, because MPE can generate a lot more data, and DIN/TRS MIDI connections will choke on quantity of data more easily than USB.

This is not me claiming that this is certain to be the problem, just that it is something I would want to check in detail.

mai

Post by mai » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:00 pm

elbows wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:40 pm
Well I would certainly want to check that, because MPE can generate a lot more data, and DIN/TRS MIDI connections will choke on quantity of data more easily than USB.

This is not me claiming that this is certain to be the problem, just that it is something I would want to check in detail.
Ah ok, I see. I‘ve tested it again and recorded the clip without MPE & AT... the same thing happens: P3 is completely "overloaded". So it has nothing to do with that.

hellnegative_

Post by hellnegative_ » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:02 pm

Change the midi outputs to separate channels. If sending the same note to the same midi channel at the same time, it can cause issues. Just ran a test on push standalone with the below chain sending a 3 note chord to each without issue.

Push 3s to microkorg thru to Roland s1 thru to Roland system 1M thru to minilogue XD thru to ASM Hydrasynth thru to Korg radias.

dest4b

Post by dest4b » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:33 am

let me think..he wrote 6 or more midi Tracks..

am i right ? ;) hehe. People dont read and dont think.Its like if you open Support Ticket with extrenal Hardware.
Haopend for me with "Midi Mute Bug" and with general Latency issuses.

Seams like support and most users are using all "ITB" or better ITP :D "In The Push". No one understand what external means in our case. N,o, not external instrument Plugin. It means Externally.
_________________________/
http://www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

Ebit

Post by Ebit » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:58 am

Here the same Problem and Midi Clock is going crazy when i use / send midi notes to more than 4 external Instruments

the last Update from yesterday doesnt fix it