The state of Push 3 stand alone

Discuss Push with other users.
binarysun

Re: The state of Push 3 stand alone

Post by binarysun » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:11 am

robleighton22 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:19 am
Each pad could represent a section, and then holding the pad would give options to pick a specific scene for that section, and the number of repeats. Bit closer to the Deluge. Even better would be the ability to select which clip pattern per track goes into that section. Click a new pad in song mode, sets up the next section. Unlike follow actions, triggering song mode will always be linear, but you could trigger anywhere in the timeline by single tapping a pad (aka a section). Likewise, when holding a pad, there can be an option to loop the selected section. Shift+pad in song mode will take you directly to the pattern for the selected track as a short cut for destructive editing.
This is somewhat similar to the Song mode on an MPC. And after using MPCs for basically forever I think this would work great with the Push, too.

How does it work: On an MPC you work in Sequences with Tracks. Which translates to Scenes with Clips in Ableton Live.
Each Sequence represents some part of a song (Intro, Verse, Bridge, you name it). Then In "Song Mode" each of your 16 MPC pads per the 4 banks represents one Sequence. On the Push you could map each Scene to a pad on the 8x8 grid in Song Mode. You then have two options to Arrange the song. 1 - Punch in the structure of your song via the pads and set how often you want each Sequence to be repeated. 2 - Press Record and jam out you sequences into a Song.

Example: You have the following Sequences(Pad#): Intro(1), Verse(2), Refrain(3), Bridge(4), Outro(5) and In Song Mode you then punch in the song like "1-2-3-2-4-3(2x)-5" to order the structure into a song. Which means your Arrangement would be: "Intro-Verse-Refrain-Verse-Bridge-Refrain-Refrain-Outro".

On the MPC you can create 128 Songs per project. So you can play with arrangements, too. On the Push there might not even be a real limit.

When you are happy with a Song you can bounce the Song to a new Sequence. So the whole Song is then just another Sequence but containing the full arrangement of each Track in the Track of that new Sequence that is your song. And you can continue to work on you Song-Sequence like you would on your other Sequences. You can even take your 128 Song-Sequences go back into song mode and arrange each song sequence into a new Song lol.
In Ableton that would mean that you bounce your Song to a new Scene. Where each clip in that new Scene is the arranged version of the respective clip put into that arrangement Scene. And each bounced Song Scene would work just like another Scene.

This is really simple, straight forward and it's really elegant, too. It works with a 49" computer screen as well as with a 2 line LCD screen.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:42 am

Difference being more the ui and usage of 64 pad grid, which the MPC obviously cannot do. The Deluge on the other hand is a closer comparison to what I was looking at. Concept of chaining sequences is similar across these devices, but the concept of patterns and scenes isn't quite comparable with MPC. The MPCs structure is a bit odd as a track doesn't have to be setup consistently across sequences and I personally found it painful working through changes. Tho they way it comes together in song mode is nice and simple.

The Deluge arranger allows you to layout your patterns (aka clips in Push) in a linear sequence using its 128 pad grid. I think my idea was to leverage the Push 3s 64 pads as much as possible for the song mode to make it more intuitive.

binarysun

Post by binarysun » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:44 am

robleighton22 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:42 am
The MPCs structure is a bit odd as a track doesn't have to be setup consistently across sequences and I personally found it painful working through changes. Tho they way it comes together in song mode is nice and simple.
Yeah of course that's something that needs to be consistent across Sequences. But I have personally never had any issues with that. And since it's not important for the Push use case I didn't mention it. In the end on Push an arrangement is basically a chaining of Scenes as well. You trigger a scene and let it loop a certain amount of times. A lots more is possible here of course. You don't have to let it loop numerous times or even one full time for that matter of course. But "the MPC way" of arranging could even be accomplished with a 3rd-party M4L device that wouldn't need any action from Ableton's side.

I only read about the Deluge way of arranging a while back. Tbh I didn't understand it fully or maybe the description was bad. But since so many people like it it might not be too bad...I hope.